Which factory ammo for cow elk hunt?

First of all don't over think it. Yes elk are tougher than deer, but they ain't bullet proof. Use what your rifle likes the best period. Everything you mentioned on hand is more than adequate for the task of killing elk. My buddies dad kills an elk on a regular basis using 130 grain core-lokt .270 in an old Remington pump, and rarely needs more than one shot.

I've seen elk killed by a wide variety of different cartridges big and small. As long as the elk isn't overly worked up it should be fairly easy to put down.An elk that has its adrenalin up from being chased around by several hunters or a rutted up bull can surely be tough to kill. You just need to be aware of what condition your animal is in before pulling the trigger.

My first elk was shot with a 150gr Hornady Interlock sp at ~50yds. the bullet past through the heart and out the other side.

After that I was told the 150 was way too light for elk so I switched to 180gr Remington Corlokt for my second elk. The bullet passed through the heart and out the other side at ~90yds.

Both elk tasted just fine.

Up close a 150 would do. But if planning on shooting a little distance. More likely that 180 is the better of the two you've already been contemplating. After all those cows are indeed big boned animals also. I for one think your spot on in your bullet selection also. (Hornady) Should be a interesting hunt no doubt. Enjoy. :)

My choice would be the Hornady Interlocks. I shot my cow elk the 13th of this month with a 30-06 and a 165 gr. Accubond. The elk only went a few feet and expired. Bullet hit a bit too far back as the elk moved just as I shot and the bullet hit under the spine, then turned opening up the stomach then into the left lung. She only went about 15 feet before falling. I do a private land tag and have taken four elk from the ranch in the last five years. Lightest dressed out at 328 pounds and the heaviest was 369 pounds. The other three were taken with a .35 Whelen.
Yes, of the two bullets you have I would take the Hornady.
Paul B.

Back