Which Do You Prefer?

DennisCA

Traditional or Modern Muzzle-loader Rifle???

Personally I prefer the traditional-type of muzzle-loader, (percussion and flint).
Like these:
Black_Powder_Rifles.jpg

Don't like these:
BlackPowderRifles_02_1.jpg

I understand (sort of) the reason people wanting a more modern-type of muzzle-loader but I don't know it just not my thing.

Your thoughts??

I, too, am really liking the sidelocks, and am now considering (eventually) a flinter or two (as well as a pistol).

Mine is a Lyman's Deerstalker, which isn't wholly traditional though. But I didn't know much about these, and thought I understood that they kicked fairly stiff with a conical, which I've found isn't much actually, though I've only tried 70 grns of 3F Olde Eynsford with the 320 grn REAL.

I think, like bow hunting, it adds a bit more to it. And It's also drawn me into the history of it as well, which is where my desire for flintlocks comes from.

My dad had been telling me for years about this, but being the stubborn guy I am I didn't listen until much later. But here I am!

Traditional it is for me.

But since I have several traditionals if I was going to hunt with them I would go modern.

When I got my first traditional I had problems with it not going off and needing bullets extracted till I figured out how to clean it correctly. That was 20 some odd years ago.

The worst feeling of a traditional was when I tracked a deer for miles and it presented itself in a clearing only for me to aim and have only the primer go off. Loaded another primer up and it didn't work either.

But they sure are fun in the back yard or at the range.

A matter of personal preference ... Right ???

Depends on the application and performance at that time. Most of my work and passion is in my SideLocks. I own one MML pistol and rifle and lost count of how many Traditional I own but there is always room for one more. ... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Make mine traditional.

DennisCA - who carved the stock on the two-piece stock gun (second from top)? Can you provide a close-up?

Traditional all the way. You couldn't give me an inline.

I had a buddy try to give me two inlines .... I cleaned 'em up for him, showed him where to buy fodder for them, and encouraged him to start shooting them.

I'm on the "other side" myself. Furthermore, I'll venture to say that the vast majority of modern inline users are people just like me - who ONLY use a muzzle loader because that is what happens to be legal for hunting at that time. Those of you who use traditional MLs are doing it because you are passionate about that particular form of shooting. I just don't see that kind of passion being carried over into the inline crowd.

The difference between the two. Inline simplicity verses old school. Old school cast their projectiles. Inline shooters buy their's. Old school many make their own B/powder. Inline shooters buy theirs. Old school most know how to apply Kentucky Windage to their shots. Inline shooters rely heavily on scopes. Old school know their rifles limits. Inline shooters think a limit is >fish. Old school hunters make meat. Inline shooters go home skunked. Old school entertain with yarns. Inline shooters brag too new heights. And the differences between the two goes on and on. As far as answering this OPs question. I started off with a traditional in my hands. I'll probably end with a traditional found in my hands.

Hawg Haggen - I would take a in-line if someone gave it to me, then sell it for a traditional muzzle-loader!

Around here with the hunting laws inlines have fallen out of favor. The H&R Handi Rifle is King now. I doubt you could get 25 bucks for one.

Yep, not content to hunt only during their season, inlines are the excuse cartridge hunters use to keep hunting.

Had my fill of cartridge rifles and really enjoyed them; until shooting my first smoke pole!

IIRC, inlines were pioneered by some Iowans that wanted to hunt elk in Colorado, and muzzle loader tags were easier to get than firearm tags..... they couldn't be bothered to learn to run a traditional rifle well, so they built these things ..... they are "rule-beaters" ..... and smell like cheating to me.

I agree inlines are for hunters who can't be bothered with traditional weapons but want to hunt during traditional hunting season.

Steve

Back