Which cartridge to build???

Every modern bottle neck cartridge from 26 caliber on up will take every game animal in the lower 48 with ease. With the right bullet precisely placed will take every game animal in North America and all but about 4 on the planet. The 24's and 25's are more than adequate for most game, but don't shoot bullets heavy enough for me to consider more than borderline for game bigger than deer. I know some do it. But I wouldn't be comfortable.

It should come as no surprise that you'll not see any real difference between 270, 280, 30-06, or any of at least a dozen others. It comes down to personal preference, how much recoil you can tolerate, ammo availability, cost, and what ranges you have the skills to shoot.

A long time ago I sorta became attached to the 30 caliber offerings, but fully understand today that a 27 or 28 caliber rifle will do the same thing. And on paper at least should be a little better. But I've never felt the difference was enough to change.

The 280 might just be the perfect all around cartridge, by the slimmest margins. And it is just unique enough to separate you from the masses, without a lot of negatives. I'm neutral on going AI. I'm not sure I'd need the extra speed, but at the same time there appear to be few downsides.

Go with the 280AI if you want something a bit different and don't mind the additional brass work. Otherwise the standard 280 is a great choice.

OHeir : If you ar going to wait in the wings drooling,waiting for some small nit pick thing to jump on and correct,AT LEAST GET IT RIGHT !

You are WRONG AGAIN!! Read my post you quoted again. I listed a load for IMR 4831. I said there was no listing for H-4831 sc.

There IS a difference between IMR 4831 and H-4831sc.

Reynolds 357: I agree 284 brass will probably be around...still 280 can be bought or made from 30-06 . Its a no sweat on availability.

I advocate for folks doing things for the sole reason of "my preference" No need to justify it.

But I don't understand why anyone would choose the 284 brass for a hnting rifle in a 30-06 length action.

But then,I never understood why someone would buy a Yugo. Its OK. I'll let it go.
Why the 284 is in the running.
1. It is slightly more accurate than 280.
2. It is not a short action cartridge. It is a short action with some bullets cartridge. The long skinny bullets require a long action.
3. In a long action, it has a working case capacity higher than the 280.

reynolds357 asked: Which cartridge to build???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a long action with 06 bolt face and magazine laying around that I need to build something on. It will do a little paper punching but mainly whitetail hunting at 450 yards or less. 24 to 26" heavy sporter barrel.

Wow !!!
What a great description of a 6.5-06

I just hate making brass. If I could get 6.5-06 AI brass, it would be a no brainer. I have to make brass for my .30/416 Rigby AI, but other than that, I dont want to make brass.

When I was faced with that decision I went with the .280 Remington. I even have a decent load running 160 gr. Speer Grand Slams (old two core version) at 2910 FPS and grouping in the .75" area. I got that speed with long obsolete WMR powder and IMR 7828SSC. Accuracy was best with the WMR. Go figure. The plan was to use it on my elk hunt. A vehicle accident took care of that. I'll be lucky if I'm healed up enough to hunt next year.
I guess if I was in the OP's shoes I'd go with the .280. What little I've done with it impresses me.
Paul B.

When I was faced with that decision I went with the .280 Remington. I even have a decent load running 160 gr. Speer Grand Slams (old two core version) at 2910 FPS and grouping in the .75" area. I got that speed with long obsolete WMR powder and IMR 7828SSC. Accuracy was best with the WMR. Go figure. The plan was to use it on my elk hunt. A vehicle accident took care of that. I'll be lucky if I'm healed up enough to hunt next year.
I guess if I was in the OP's shoes I'd go with the .280. What little I've done with it impresses me.
Paul B.
How much 7828? Thats fast for a 160. Seems like an interesting load.
Hopefully you get to hunt next year and try it out.

I have killed more deer than I can count with 270s in the last 1/2 century and I also own a 25-06 with which I have killed about 25 deer and antelope combined in the last 15 years. Hit for hit, comparing bullets of good construction, on deer size game ....I can't actually see any difference at all.
I have to admit of the 06 spawn the 25-06 has impressed me the most; along with the 35 whelen running a close second. What is your preferred hunting bullet that performs best in the 25 in your opinion?

Well since we're discussing the merits of a. 284 cal. cartridge, why not 28 Nosler.
1. I would have to open up bolt face.
2. I would have to do magazine work.
3. Its not a "step down" from 7WSM.
4. I have 2 7 RUM already. Which I personally view as vastly superior to 28 Nosler. When run at same pressure, faster than 28 Nosler.

reynolds357 said:
The AI, nit the regular A Square.

Most AI cartridges you have to fireform brass anyway, and you have 6.5-06 headstamps. Beats necking up or down brass and then fireforming. Me I'd go .270 Win and call it a day, for under 450 yards hunting and paper punching there is no advantage to any of the other cartridges you listed.

Fire forming is the part of AI I try to avoid. I guess I got turned off to it when I was building and shooting Ackley Magnums. It was a 2 or sometimes 3 step fireform that often split the shoulder and ruined the brass. You could not shoot the parent round and make the case. You couldnt even shoot the parent round unless your rifle had a very strong extractor.
Definitely cant argue against a .270 Win. Its only problem is its not in any way "unusual".

I learned my lessons FF .280 GNR and after talking to Gary Reeder about my issues with his cartridge. He informed a max book load with the bullet seated to touch the lands will get it in one firing without issues. He was right, and saved me from destroying anymore expensive .405 Win brass.

The 280 AI is already available as brass.

Any of the Ackley improved’s can be formed by firing the parent in the ai chamber. I would add in that they need annealed after this forming step.

Personally 6.5-06 AI would be high on my list. It is about the flattest shooting round, including magnums. You could even throat it long to get a bit more since the win 70 is ready to go to 3.6”. It would be formed by sizing down 280 AI brass or forming from 270 win brass. Some annealing is likely in order for case life. It is not really an AI of the 30-06 case, so it appears by my google foo.

As Melvin Forbes, and many others, have discovered the intermediate length Mauser actions are a perfect fit for the 284 Win.

And if your going to go big, then go big and fast! 7.21 Tomahawk, or 7.21 Firebird.
But there your looking at a 0.680" bolt face. Familiar to our 338LM & 416 Rigby shooters.
Available in large ring Savage actions.
Barrel life is short though.
Lazzeroni actually did his testing with the large Savage action.

As Melvin Forbes, and many others, have discovered the intermediate length Mauser actions are a perfect fit for the 284 Win.

And if your going to go big, then go big and fast! 7.21 Tomahawk, or 7.21 Firebird.
But there your looking at a 0.680" bolt face. Familiar to our 338LM & 416 Rigby shooters.
Available in large ring Savage actions.
Barrel life is short though.
Lazzeroni actually did his testing with the large Savage action.
I have never been overly impressed with the Lazz cartridges. (Imho)Their velocity at near sea level never seemed to match up to their advertised velocities. When they first came out, they were hot, but now the ultra mags have eclipsed them.

Back