Which carry gun for wife (she's somewhat familiar with firearms)

Agree with everyone to let her pick what she likes, but I would have try the Ruger LCR, easy manual of arms, good trigger, good size, a wide range of caliber options. I really like the .327 version, can shoot .32 longs (very mild recoil), .32 H&R mag (more recoil and flash, but less than a .38 with good effectiveness) and up to .327 mag (a very goo sd round imho).

Let her decide, but the LCR should be offered.

That is unnerving , I had an attempted home invasion years back . Luckily I was in the basement with my S&W mod 65 3" 357 still on my hip . 9:30 PM Both cars on the drive way , thank God my wife used the dead bolt on the front door or they would have been in.
I heard my wife screen , I ran up the stairs seeing my front door bent like a banana , I don't remember drawing my revolver but it was in my hand . They must have saw me before I could see them , only their foot prints. Police were called , but it never leaves you.
With that said I would go with a revolver , no smaller then 38 SPL. No safety , only thing to concentrate on is the problem.

My wife has damaged wrists and doesn't shoot much. She prefers a 32 H&R magnum revolver. It has no safeties, no slide that's hard to pull back, no magazine to load, etc. It is an effective round in a simple reliable weapon. Our daughter has been able to shoot it well since she was 8 or 9.

If someone trains and practices, almost anything in a decent caliber will work. If they are going to shoot it just a few times a year or less, a revolver is a better choice, IMHO.

Let her shoot several and figure out what she's comfortable.

I think a DA revolver is a terrible idea. Too hard to get the technique down right for a stiff trigger pull. If she can't hit anything, she'll stop shooting. Recommending snubbies to women is just an old guys tale.

Glocks are just as simple and reliable as a revolver in my not particularly humble opinion.

I did buy a thunder 380 before we got married ... I guess 12-13 years ago. Now the kids are older we've gone out shooting more and she does like this pistol. It shoots very well.

I would prefer it if she were to move up to a 9mm pistol as she improves. It's cheaper to fire and from all the videos and stats I've seen a 9mm is more consistent with hollow point performance.

Me personally I only feel comfortable with a striker that has a manual safety, but I have no problem with a decocked hammer fired pistol with the safety disengaged (like the bersa). We may have to go gun shopping for her in the future.

My Wife Carries a Sig P232 now.. she has carried in the past a Glock 23, and a Glock 26... She shoots most of my guns, put likes the Sig P232 for it's size and She shoots it well...View attachment 105967... Her choice as it should be..

Last edited:
My wife can't rack the slide on most semi-autos. I of course recommended the CorneredCat website. Not sure if she read all of it or not.

Anyways she was dead set on having a .22, because that was all she could rack. She has neuropathy and lacks a lot of hand strength. She's always been afraid of the recoil of my Centerfire pistols as well.

She bought a Ruger SR22 that she likes a lot. She shoots it any time we go shooting. It's better than nothing, and at least I know she will practice.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Back