Which bolt action milsurp rifle should I buy?

zfk55:

When I was shooting rifle in competition, National Match Course and 1000 yards, bolt action rifles in caliber 30-06, I mostly used 180 grain Sierra Match Kings at an estimated muzzle velocity of 2500-2600 ft/sec, never chronographed, but these were NOT hot loads. On the old, no longer used 5V target, I consistently shot mid 90's out of a possible 100 point score, with Redfield Receiver Sights, prone with sling only.

With the .308 Winchester, I could not shoot effectively past 600 yards, many people could, but not me. I could hold 10 ring elevation with a 308, same Redfield sights, prone at 600 yards. I never found "hot loads" necessary, but that's just me.

BTW, I came upon the Swiss Products web site, which showed the sight pictured, German made from the name Ulm. No price was listed. Could you provide information including front and rear sight, including mounting base for the rear.

Thanks.

The mention of the .303, and not FL sizing due to headspace issues got me wondering...
I reload for a couple of 91/30's, which also use a rimmed cartridge- and, are obviously, military and might expect a generous chamber size. Since I don't have a bushing in my headspace gauge kit to fit, I have no way to check the fire-formed cases against what comes out of the full-length resizing die.

I've not read anything about full-length re-sizing issues with the 7.62 x 54R, is this anything of concern with the Mosin-Nagant?

If you want a good gun in the best condition, go to Samco, http://www.samcoglobal.com/
and look up their Yugo Mausers. The 8x57 cartridge is available in quantity at reasonable prices. If you reload Graf and Sons have Berdan primers to reload the European brass. There are several Berdan depriming tools on the market, but they are a little pricy. There are plans on the internet, sorry I don't have the URL for that one, to make a deprimer out of a stick and an old rat tailed file. Putting them in is easy. The Berdans will work right through any of the standard American primer tools.
If you have your heart set on a Lee Enfield, try to find an Ishapore Enfield (Indian). GunBroker usually has several at less than $350. Almost all of them were converted to 7.62 Nato which is cheap and plentiful and an easy reload.

Mosin-Nagant 91/30 - accurate, indestructable, and selling for around $100 for a really nice one. The 7.62x54R cartridge is about as powerful .308, and surplus ammo is dirt cheap.

JiminTexas:

Re the 8 x 57 Mauser, wht mess about with Berdan Primed cases and Berdan Primers, if you can find them, when Boxer(U.S. type) primed cases are readily available.

tobnpr:

With rimmed cases, you might try the following, up to you though. Use a neck sizing die or if you have a F.L. sizing die already, back it out about one turn, size a case, try it in your rifle. If there is to much caming, bolt hard to close, turn the die in 1/4 turn or less and try it again. This way, you will size the casse minimally, getting longer case life too, via not setting the shoulder back excessively.

BTW, I came upon the Swiss Products web site, which showed the sight pictured, German made from the name Ulm. No price was listed. Could you provide information including front and rear sight, including mounting base for the rear.

Alan, the only thing German about it is the Iris. No US company makes an Iris. The entire Diopter is made in our own machine shop right here in Kalispell. In our entire product line, that Iris is the only thing we don't manufacture.
Thanks for looking.

Latigo

Alan, I forgot to mention that our distributors are at the bottom of our website. The Diopter, like our scope mounts clamp right on the right side of the receiver with no alteration required to the rifle.

It depends on what the most important factors are in getting a surplus rifle. If it is overall cost then either a mosin or turkish mauser, with that mauser the lowest price. I have several that shoot fine. I have shot some of the swiss rifles and they shoot fine too. It is just that the price is higher. Also another thought, are you going to shoot factory ammo, surplus, or are you planning on reloading? I have heard that brass for enfields do not last as long as for instance a P-14 in the same caliber. Also, if reloading, jacketed bullets only, or have you considered casting slugs? If you have any other questioins, ask and I will try to answer.

Ishapore Enfield 2A1. 7.62mm NATO. Looks like a classic Enfield but built to better specs with better steel than the originals. Not a rebuilt, modded, rechambered WWI or WWII rifle but a new rifle. Ammo will not go out of style anytime soon.

Any US M1917, 1903, 1903A3. 30.06 ammo is probably the most available out there. Can easily double as a hunting rifle with the factory ammo choices for them.

Back