Which bolt action milsurp rifle should I buy?

Hey firing line. Im looking to pick up a nice bolt action milsurp rifle. I am biting the bullet pun intended and getting into reloading as i know most older milsurp is pretty dry up here in Canada especially. keeping that in mind, and that I dont really like mosins, these are my options

Schmidt-Rubin/ k31- There are 2 rubins in a local store here and they look great. Hear amazing things but from what i hear reloading components might be hard to find/expensive?

Lee Enfield- Gorgeous IMO but have heard mixed reviews on quality, plenty available in canada. might have an easier time finding components?

mauser- available. reloading components hard to find?

ability to find reloading components is a big factor here so if anyone has experience trying to find components for these? am i missing your favorite?

I would go with a Yugo M48 Mauser. Reloading components should be a problem, can usually find ammo at Walmart here since it's such a common round.
Many of the 48's are pretty much new, never issued so not a lot of history there, but also no abuse/use. Should serve you very well with no issues. Plus, it's a Mauser at a great price.

The k31 is a great rifle as is the Enfield, so I wouldn't rule them out if you like them better.

The K31 well be the most accurate by far. Reloading dies cost no more than any other caliber. There is plenty of surplus GP11 ammo on the market and you would be hard pressed to load better ammo, it's match grade.

K2501.jpg

With the Lee Enfield you have a large selection of styles of rifle, No1, No4, No5. You can find good shooters, ammo is spendy and good surplus is all but gone. You really need to reload for this rifle.

K25faz1.jpg

The Yugo Mausers have a large selection of models, lot of 8mm surplus around and many of these have accurate barrels. Lot of history with the Yugo's if you take the time to research them.

Yugos01.jpg

Reloading cost well be about the same for all three of these rifles.

I suggest the K-31. I have both a K-31 and a No4Mk1 Enfield (in near excellent condition) and the K-31 is so much easier to load for. Since the 303 British is a rimmed cartridge and the Enfields have larger military chambers, you have a pretty dismal case life which limits you to neck sizing only pretty much. Expect 5-6 firings at best. Others may be doing it better than me so look around. 7.5x55 Swiss is as easy to load as .308 Winchester. It's pretty similar in fact.

K-31s just have a better barrel and a way better trigger. In addition, use of .308" projectiles makes it easy to load for.

Re the availability of SM 7.5MM brass, if I remember correctly 284 Win, will serve. I would verify this BEFORE buying.

If you're Canadian, the Lee Enfield is part of your herritage....and they are neat rifles. I'd suggest you get one first and then work on the others.

Yeah, enfields do have an attractive historical quality. The action of an enfield seems like a bit more fun as well, straight pull seems cool but i dont need to squeeze off 30 rounds in 60 seconds.

This is almost made up for by the fact that I love shooting things that are far away, the k31 sounds like a ?much? more accurate gun.

These also sound easier to reload for than the .303 and for a guy who will be new to the reloading game this is quite appealing.

yall have given me some things to ponder

Rustle in the Bushes

Posts: 6 Yeah, enfields do have an attractive historical quality. The action of an enfield seems like a bit more fun as well, straight pull seems cool but i dont need to squeeze off 30 rounds in 60 seconds.

This is almost made up for by the fact that I love shooting things that are far away, the k31 sounds like a ?much? more accurate gun.

These also sound easier to reload for than the .303 and for a guy who will be new to the reloading game this is quite appealing.

yall have given me some things to ponder

Re loading the .303 Lee-Enfield round, back your redsizing die out a bit, trial and error, so as NOT to move the case shoulder.

By the way, re avoiding setting the shoulder back more than necessary, this applies to the .308 or the 7.5mm Swiss too. Actually it applies to just about any bottle neck round.

i think ill go for the k31, well see if I can rustle up some brass for it up here in Canada. Enfield- One day! though they are actually more expensive than the damn k31s right now. scary thought!

K31 unless Canada has good access to .303

Enfield seems like a Canadian gun that would still be used as a low cost hunter. Maybe your access to ammo is better than what I have in the states. I rarely shoot my No4mk1* Longbranch any more due to cost.

The K31 is a really cool rifle. If I were buying today I'd get a K31 or 6.5x55 Mauser. 7.5x55 is still available in very good GP11. Reloading uses standard .308 bullets and resized .284 ( I think). The K31 is very ammo sensitive, dimensions have to be spot on, and you cannot load hot.

Still, it is supposed to be a wickedly accurate rifle. I think they look amazing, better than most modern rifles, but I love real wood. They just don't do wood furniture like they used to.

The K31 is a really cool rifle. If I were buying today I'd get a K31 or 6.5x55 Mauser. 7.5x55 is still available in very good GP11. Reloading uses standard .308 bullets and resized .284 ( I think). The K31 is very ammo sensitive, dimensions have to be spot on, and "you cannot load hot".

Not quite correct. The 175gr VLD type projectile in the GP11 or a Berger 175gr VLD itself can be pushed right out to 2,700 fps and is a true 1,000 yard rile. Both the SMK 175's and the VLD 175's are commonly shot long range in the k31, as many Camp Perry shooters will attest.

This is our 1,000 yard Diopter made specifically for the k31 long range shooting.

TypePS-1.jpg

Latigo

For others hunting for later model Enfields, if you can find lots of ".303" bullets that are Not boat tail, a #4/Mk. 1 which has a 2-groove bore might do pretty well.

One of my 2-groove #4 rifles makes nasty, wide key-holes from 100 yards, and the bore is very shiny with good rifling.

Most #4s built in England do not have 2-groove rifling, and you might want to find out whether some of these are easily found (or somehow discovered at a gun show).

Most boxes of Prvi .303 ammo at US distributors have BT bullets.

Seems curious, the absence of any mention of the following, though unfortunately the prices thereof have gone way up:

1. The U.S. Springfield Rifle
2. The U.S. 1917 Enfield

Both are chambered for the 30-06 cartridgwe, there being no "shortages" thereof, either factory ammunition or reloading components.

heheheh @ latigo. Just thought he would drop in from the swiss rifles forum to drop some knowledge. Its reading the talk over there that makes me all the more excited to learn how to shoot this thing. bloody canadian postal strike is keeping my brass from me

Back