Which 460 to buy?

I wonder how the Super Redhawk 454 at 52 ounces and 7.5 bbl (no break) would shoot side by side with the 72 ounces S&W 460 8 3/8 barrel with ports?

The only factory load I have seem in 460 is the screaming fast 200 grain polymer tip while with 454 loads offered in 200, 240 upto 300 gr block busters. Which one is appropriate with a very long barrel and scope and which is closer to a general use hip holster gun?

Ruger Alaskan is the only beast that is somewhat good on the hip. You could also get a regular Redhawk in .45 Colt and shoot Ruger Only loads at Magnum levels. That would kill an animal on the planet.

I would guess that the X-Frame or the BFR would be the most comfortable to shoot in either 454 C or 460 S &W. As mentioned, probably the Ruger Alaskan would be the most easily carried in a holster in the field. I can only think "pain" when I think of the Alaskan in 454 C. If I was going to carry in the field for protection, I would get the Alaskan in 480 Ruger.

What I did learn is the Performance Center has been closed and these guns are now produced or assembled exactly the same level of care and QC as any other S&W revolver. Times changes and S&W is no exception. And PC is a at best a marketing gimmick or worse a lie. Then, what do I know? Just another clueless soul living in the past.

I was curious as to when the Performance Center supposedly closed so I emailed S&W. Here is my question and their answer......
Is there still a Performance Center Shop, or did it really close and now the Performance Center guns are built on the same assembly line as other S&Ws?

Thanks in advance,
Buck

Dear Buck,
I would be happy to help you. Performance Center firearms are built in the Performance Center.

Regards, Richard

There....from the horses mouth.

Besides my X-Frame, I have two other P.C. revolvers. Not only did they come to me with superb triggers, they had options not available on other similar standard production models. All are extremely accurate. Maybe I'm just lucky, I dunno. But then, all of my standard S&W revolvers have been great.....again maybe I'm just lucky. It's not like I haven't seem Smiths with issues. I have, several. But not near as many as ones that looked/worked just fine. Same goes for my experience with Rugers. Seen some of them I wouldn't take home either, but that's why I look guns over before I take them home.

As for the problem the other poster has, I feel his pain, but wonder if it all couldn't have been avoided by a better examination before he transferred the gun in the first place. As to the insistence that it is relevant to this thread, it is only relevant to the point that this one gun has had an issue and that folks should closely examine any firearm closely before they purchase it, so chances are, that they will be satisfied with it after the purchase. To beat it to death is not anything but an distraction.

Seems everyone has an opinion about the .460, but very few folks have actual experience. They go by what they have read here or on other forums, or from what a friend of their Brother in Law said. They brag up alternate calibers/platforms, they haven't shot those either. Then they want to scoff folks that have. I care less what other folks think of them. I've heard it all.....

"If I wanted to carry 5 pound firearm that can shoot 200 yards, I'd just take my rifle!" Sure you could, but you wouldn't be hunting with a handgun then would you?

No one needs a handgun that powerful just to hunt deer, they don;t wear body armor!" This probably from someone who uses a 30-06 or larger to hunt deer......:rolleyes:

They are certainly not a gun for everyone. If you look at my previous post, my suggestion to the OP was to get something else. There are better everyday all day hip mounted revolvers out there. There are plenty of handguns with a more manageable recoil. But they are not an .460 X-Frame. Nuttin else in this world is. They do not do a lot of things, but what they do, they do very well. As for comparable recoil between them and a .454 Ruger, there are a ton of recoil calculators out there that will give you exact numbers. What one feels in their hand will be subjective and affected by how the gun is rested, held and how it and it's grips fit your hand. My youngest son has shot my .460 with legitimate hunting loads since he was 11. My Granddaughters and DILs have shot it and shot it well with hunting type loads. It's an easy gun to shoot and to shoot accurately. As for a .460 Encore, my oldest son got one a few years back because I already was reloading for my X-Frame and he thought the accuracy and recoil would be comparable, and he liked the Encore platform. Recoil was brutal and decent accuracy was never found after two years of trying multiple bullets/loads. It went down the road.

Again, don't reload and don't have deep pockets, get something else. Don't want a handgun that for the most part, with loner pipes, should be rested, get something else. Want a .460 that you can shoot all day without nerve damage to your wrist, get a long pipe and a comp. Want a revolver than you can reach out and legitimately "touch" a deer past 125 yards without having to "hold over", than a X-Frame may be for you. I know it works for me, what bothers me, is when others tell me it doesn't or shouldn't.

Shooting my 12" offhand no doubt is fatiguing, but I have learned that resulting from a long 14" sight radius my 460 is extremely accurate. Consistently Thumping a 8" gong at 50+ yds is no problem. I've just learned to take a shot, drop the handgun down to the low position, take a short break, then shoot again. Patients between shots = awesome accuracy and consistency. Now that I have acquired a scoped TC Encore handgun in 243 Win there's no need for my 12" 460 to be reaching out beyond 100 yds so at some point as funds permit I plan on sending my12" XVR back to S&W for a swap to the 8-3/8" barrel .

Late to the party here but will throw in my 2 cents and add a few comments about statements made in this thread ( I do own and shoot 460)

First the 460 is a far from being similar to 454 Casual- yes they are both .452 caliber but 460 yield considerable more velocity especially when bullet weight goes up.

Now for the 2 cents

I suggest you shoot desired gun before buying one if at all possible.

Big bore ownership/shooting is not for everyone.

That said most find the 460 an exciting/fun shoot.

Before buying understand the cost of feeding your gun.

As already mentioned I would recommend any big bore owner get into handloading if you don't already. It allows you to optimize you shooting experience.

I have included some links to thread that would be relevant to your questions and add additional color. The first thread discusses PC vs. production.

If you search that forum you will find plenty of additional thread relevant to 460.

good luck and be safe
Ruggy

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/582761-help-me-pick-right-460xvr-revolver.html

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/546925-460.html

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/581529-460-hunting-barrel-lengths.html

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/577439-wanting-460-magnum-xvr.html

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/568315-would-love-some-advise-460v-xvr-general.html

.460's are meant for pistol season hunting, they make poor toys. If you really want one, get one, but if you have any problems with it that requires sending it back to the factory, you'll be waiting a while before you get it back.

The .454 is more practical, just a beast to shoot. Really a hot .45 Colt from a 7 inch Blackhawk is plenty enough power, but if it's a "big frame revolver" you're wanting, the BFR is exactly that and they come in chamberings that'll knock your socks off and make people at the range sad from inferiority.

Get the 8-3/8" XVR, it's the best all around if you are gonna shoot 460.

If you want a really great shooting 454 Casull, try the 460 "V" model. That would carry a bit nicer and would handle the 454 very well. If your gonna go 460 though, the 8-3/8 is hard to beat.

I also own a 6.5" 500 X-frame and the recoil is WAY more with the 500 and I only bought it to have them all. I also have a 480 Ruger SBH and while I like the cartridge, the gun is nowhere near as nice to shoot as my 460 XVR. It might be a little easier to carry but the right holster will make that less of an issue.

Take up hand-loading in any case.

I've had the 8.38" XVR for almost a decade. It's been great. I don't take it out as often as I'd like but I've never had a problem with mine. I mostly shoot the less expensive 200-grain loads from Hornady, which are good enough for anything I care about. They detonate water jugs and expired food items like a dream. I have no doubt that they'd be fine for any land animal I've seen in the wild.

I understand that one benefit of the XVR is portability versus a trail rifle. However, I've never actually carried mine. It's enormous and I really don't need more than 10mm or .357 magnum out in the woods. This gun is really just for fun at this point in my life.

One thing they really did right with the XVR is recoil mitigation. I'd rather shoot those 200-grain loads in .460 S&W from the XVR than any .454 Casull from a Redhawk. Between the porting and that remarkably comfortable grip, it just works. BTW, X and L frames actually use the same grip. You can put the XVR grip on a 686 for some very comfortable shooting.

I'm looking to purchase my next toy and I have decided I want a big frame revolver. I settled on the S&W 460, but am having trouble deciding which barrel length would be best and if the performance center is worth the extra cost. I plan on mostly target shooting, and would like to be able to carry it. I live in a rural area, so open carry isn't a problem. I'm thinking 7.5" or 8.38". New to the forum so any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Get a S&W X frame. Ours is a 8 3/8" in 460 that will put 5 shots under 2" @ 100 yards. We also have a Ruger in 45 Colt and the 460 is more comfortable to shoot than the Ruger with Buffalo Bore or similar loads. Now the Ruger is better to carry but the S&W is more accurate--it is not even that close. The other plus is you can shoot 454 or 45 Colt from the 460 if you wish.

Back