Which 460 to buy?

SIERRA051

Inactive
I'm looking to purchase my next toy and I have decided I want a big frame revolver. I settled on the S&W 460, but am having trouble deciding which barrel length would be best and if the performance center is worth the extra cost. I plan on mostly target shooting, and would like to be able to carry it. I live in a rural area, so open carry isn't a problem. I'm thinking 7.5" or 8.38". New to the forum so any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

They are so simple in design I don't understand how it could have issues, especially S&W. Can you direct me to the thread?

I would also suggest a BFR. I can't see "carrying it" all that much as being practical unless you are roaming the woods and fields.

I’m satisfied with my 8&3/8” XVR. I was looking at the 5” model also but figured as a range toy the longer barreled model made more sense. Mine is very accurate and I haven’t found any problems with it. I’d save the money and skip the PC model unless you really desire the features they offer. You can take off the rear sight and add a scope mount so I really see much benefit to the top rail.

If you're going to get something like that, IMhO, go whole hog and get the 8 3/8 inch barrel.

The easiest and best way to carry it is, of course, to have a gun bearer do it for you but since they're in short supply I've heard good things about this rig.

https://www.desantisholster.com/black-mamba/

And Midway USA has it for $75 (plus tax, shipping, handling, etc. etc.)
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013639862/desantis-black-mamba-holster

(I'm told the S&W 500 8.375 version fits the 460.)

Oh, and there's this link too if you want to hear negative stuff about S&W but this thread has a picture of a barrel so bad you might not believe it...I feel sure S&W will replace it.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602792

Last edited:
If I remember correctly the published ballistics for the 454 and 460 were virtually identical in normal size revolvers. I dont have that handy, but; again,IIRC. Based on that I would be looking for the longest barrel I could support off a tripod with a scope attached. Memory fails again, but; I believe there is a 12" barrel with a brake available for the X frame in 260.

Maybe an encore in 260 with a super 14, would be better.

Some guys are hunting with the 460 rifle and for them a handgun to play around and take advantage of the components makes sense to me. Beyond that given the size and power, I will 3rd the suggestion for the Ruger in 454. Or get the X frame in 500 and load it to what works for you with 6 to 8" barrel.

If I remember correctly the published ballistics for the 454 and 460 were virtually identical in normal size revolvers. I dont have that handy, but; again,IIRC. Based on that I would be looking for the longest barrel I could support off a tripod with a scope attached. Memory fails again, but; I believe there is a 12" barrel with a brake available for the X frame in 260.

Maybe an encore in 260 with a super 14, would be better.

Some guys are hunting with the 460 rifle and for them a handgun to play around and take advantage of the components makes sense to me. Beyond that given the size and power, I will 3rd the suggestion for the Ruger in 454. Or get the X frame in 500 and load it to what works for you with 6 to 8" barrel.

Replies such as above from folks who don't have a clue seem to be the norm when it comes top threads about X-Framed .460s.(Yet to see one in 260). As for getting one in 500 instead......same exact platform from the same manufacturer. .460 is cheaper and easier to shoot, and ballistic-ally superior. Don't see any sense to that.

One person has an issue. I sympathize with him and feel his frustration. I too am sure in the end S&W will make it right. Fortunately, my X-Frame has been a real pleasure to own. Scary accurate and reliable other than screws wanting to loosen from recoil. This from someone who actually owns one and shoots it on a regular basis. I have also shot BFR in .460 and Rugers in .454. The BFR is a pleasure to shoot too, accuracy was no better than from my X-Frame. The Rugers in .454? Brutal to say the least. Iffin' you're just looking for a range toy, you will be disappointed. There's a reason they have never become as popular as the X-Frames even tho they have been around longer. Folks rant about the heft and weight of the X-Frame, but that's the reason they are so much easier to shoot. Unless you go with a relatively short barrel, they are not the most pleasant gun to carry around all for no reason other than to show it off.

My suggestion? Rethink the reasons you want one. Realize ammo will be very expensive and hard to find locally. This all goes away iffin you reload your own. Just to make noise at the range? Again, the cost to feed the beast. Longer barrels with the comp make the guns pleasant to shoot as long as you have proper ear protection. Because of recoil you better put top notch optics on it if you do. The .460's primary reason for inception was to be a dedicated hunting revolver and that's what they do very well. Long pies and a good rest will give you accuracy, range and takedown power of many rifle calibers. For folks that just want to make noise and punch paper at the range, IMHO, they are better off with a .44 mag or other lesser caliber.

I suggested the 500 because the X frame is sized for that. IMHO, the 460 is an after thought in that frame. Given the similarity to 454 in a revolver, the 500 seems a good idea if an x frame was already decided on. Ballistic superior? The 500 is about big heavy bullets. Like safari rifles. You can get it done with 375 or 416 or another 'theory' is size matters. Fun matters too, but; what ever. We are in pretend serious mode here.

I may not know, but; I do think I at the least I have a few clues.

The OP did say he wanted to carry it. The 454 Super RH makes more sense all around in a 45 caliber. Maybe he also wants something big for fun? Maybe a lot of things. It is not a big deal. One more gun to experiment during one's life time. Buy a 460, what the heck. Get a 7.5" barrel. Reload for it. It really dont matter. Have fun.

I chose the 12" 460XVR over the 500 based upon the fact I am deeply vested into handloading and there are many options with a .45 caliber vs. the .500 . Very happy with my 460, it's just one of those impractical choices that just lay the biggest smile on your face pulling the trigger ! The 460 / 500's always draw a crowd shooting (especially shooting them at an indoor range !) My 460's muzzle blast is insanely loud indoors ! Double hearing protection required.

Exactly, 460 in a long barrel to burn the extra powder. The .500 bore will burn more powder quicker. And loading down a 500 in an x frame remains a unique experience. Down loading a 460, not so much as there is the 454 or even 45LC in a Blackhawk. Now $$$, sure 500 is worse. None of these choices are for the low budget shooter. That XVR is one cool looking gun. Even though the OP said he was going to carry his, I had to toss that 'CLUE' out there.

The encore is a little more manageable for any given longer barrel length. another 2c, repeating myself, sorry.

The way I looked at it when deciding to buy the .460 XVR is that it's more versatile than the .500 since it has the option to shoot the .45 and .454 rounds.

The .460 round has better ballistics than .454 and a wider range of bullet weights. The ballistics are similar but 460 is always going to win by a hundred FPS or more.

The biggest downside for the .460 is that it's huge. Fully loaded the XVR pushes close to 5 pounds. A .454 will be easier to carry, but with hot loads the recoil is going to be worse.

Very true reddog, I have a .454 Super Blackhawk and firing the .460 XVR is child’s play compared to that thing.

Does it really need to be said that all manufacturers, Ruger, Colt, Taurus, Beratta, CZ etc... etc... take your pick let flawed products slip through? DirtyHarolds barrel issues, which are obviously very real, are irrelevant to this thread.

It's relevant because the problems kept happening and this is their premium line.

Anyone can make a mistake but if it keeps happening there's a serious problem.

I got a S&W performance center revolver that was slightly out of time. It would work double action, but if cycled slow and deliberate in single action it did not index all the way for one of the cylinders. It was an easy fix and I chalk it up to stuff happens. What I did learn is the Performance Center has been closed and these guns are now produced or assembled exactly the same level of care and QC as any other S&W revolver. Times changes and S&W is no exception. And PC is a at best a marketing gimmick or worse a lie. I would think and an extra 120 seconds of QC would add more value than the ugly (and despised) key lock. Then, what do I know? Just another clueless soul living in the past.

I am not bashing S&W, Ruger has their share of QC slips. Dont get me started on all the little PIA issues I had with both a MkIII and Mk IV pistol. Easy enough to deal with, but; not good. My recent SuprRedHawk was ok, but; heck - they should all be ok.

I admit to being fascinated by S&W’s big X-frame guns and this thread has finally got me to go out and try one.

Note: These are just the first impressions of someone who has never shot the gun before. If you want some real information about the gun read post #10 in this thread from buck460XVR or some of his other writings or somebody that really knows something about the gun. This report is from just ONE range session. Take this post for what it is...just a first impression.

• S&W 460XVR with 8 3/8 inch barrel with compensator. (This was the “regular” 460, NOT the Performance Center gun.)
• Hornady 460 S&W Mag 200 grain FTX ammunition
• Hornady 454 Casull 300 grain XTP ammunition

• First impression was you better eat your Wheaties if you want to handle this beast. It is HEAVY. If you shoot this gun on a regular bases you’ll build up some forearm strength for sure.
• The recoil of the two different types of ammunition was nearly the same.
• The recoil was heavy but not at all awful.
• The trigger, in single action, was great. I didn’t shoot it double action.
• The sights were very, very good. They are adjustable.
• The gun was very accurate.

Okay. All my shooting was single action, standing position with no support using two hands.
When I say the gun was accurate I mean I was shooting good groups at 25 yards.
When I say the recoil was not awful I mean it didn’t hurt my hands and after about 40 rounds I was not flinching. As far as recoil went I would have shot more but as far as the weight of the gun went my arms were getting tired. I could easily have shot more but it was getting to the end of “fun” shooting and would have become “endurance” shooting and I was out to have a fun day.

A little more about the recoil.
I will NOT shoot a Ruger LCR with 158 grain .357 magnum ammunition because it hurts my hands too much. I will shoot 125 grain .357 magnum ammunition out of it but not much at any one session. (My private opinion is the Ruger LCR is a vicious little thing…which doesn’t necessarily mean it’s bad.)
I didn’t really mind the recoil of the S&W 460XVR. It was heavy, heavier than my 1911 .45 ACP, but not objectionably so. Once again, it was the weight of the gun that really tired me out, not the recoil.
I shot the gun well which surprised me a little bit. It’s a beast but not a wild beast.

One last note. I was shooting the gun at an indoor range and told management about it. They were unimpressed and I didn’t get any reaction out of anyone on the range because of excess noise. But this range allows rifles too and there were a couple on the line, one an AR .223 the other I don’t know but both seemed at least equal if not louder than the 460XVR but that might be due to the acoustics of the building. I didn’t attract attention.

Back