Which .45lc? Ruger or Taurus?

REDHAWK! REDHAWK! REDHAWK!

For all your stated uses there is no finer gun than the Ruger Redhawk. Get a nice set of grips (the factory are crap) and a set of wolf springs to help with the action and you are goood to go. You have one of the strongest factory DA 45 caliber revolvers in which you can use everything from cowboy loads (250 grain bullet @ 800 fps) to buffalo bore +P hunting loads (325 grain JHP at 1400 fps). And every load inbetween! This sixgun will do it all for you. Perhaps at a future date you could obtain the 450 taurus 45 caliber snubbie. With this one stick to cowboy factory loads or handsloads (I like a 225 grain full wadcutter at 850 fps. It hits mucho hard and cuts a full caliber whole.) But till then the Redhawk will work in this capicity as well. Go with the Redhawk you won't be sorry.
Also trhe redhawk can be had for as low as $300 to factory retail (about $550 I think) the Colts are going for close to $1000 I hear these days It just ain't worth it. And the redhawk is just plain a stronger gun in ALL ways.:D

45lc

:cool: Just my opinion and will admit that I am biased,Ruger is probably be your best bet for what you have planed for it. Just in case you did'nt know the 454 casull will shoot .45 lc and .454s in case you realy wanted to go all out.

good shootin

I would go for an Anaconda if I were you. If you can get a pre-sellout Ruger it would be second.

Ruger is on the same level as SW concerning our rights. Those recommending currently manufactured rugers have the satisfaction knowing there is a special place in hell along with bill stinking ruger for them.

From a different country

I have a Vaquero (5 1/2" I think-too lazy to measure it now) in 45 Colt - love to shoot it, shades of Roy Rogers! I was interested in a large bore snubbie (I have a S&W 442 - which I carry when I can't conceal anything bigger), mostly to see what I could do with it, and a big bore is real intimidating to a ne'er-do-well who's looking down the business end. I don't expect the average dirtbag to be real impressed with an Airweight .38, especially if he's not 'xactly sober. A .45 has a commanding appearance, IMO. I can use one set of ammo for two guns - easier to keep track of.

OK, so I bought a Taurus .45 Colt Titanium 2" in bright blue. Marvelous piece, fun to shoot -- as long as I keep it to a 200gr load. 240 gr is a mite stout, even at the same muzzle velocity. I can shoot it, but I don't enjoy it. The porting might help, but it's a light gun, and easy to haul around. The Ribber grips are terrific (I also have a Ti Tracker in .357 Magnum which is a fun seven-shooter), and I am real happy with mine. Not a target pistol, but good enough for me. If it's being carried for CCW, I use 200gr Silvertips and don't envy anyone.

Well, what other rimmed 45 cal cartridge could it possibly be confused with? 45 auto rim no longer exists. There is no reason to call it Long Colt. I know, I know. Shut up already! Good night.

What other rimmed .45 cal cartridge

How about the .45 Schofield? At one time, the U.S. Army issued both the Colt S.A.A. in .45 Colt, and the S & W Schofield in .45 Schofield. The .45 Schofield cartridge would work in the Colt, but the .45 Colt cartridge would not work in the Schofield. This must have been a quartermaster's nightmare. It was common then to refer to the Colt round as the "Long Colt" to emphasize the difference.
I still believe it is a good idea to use the "Long Colt" terminology.
There are a lot of idiots out there who will buy .45 Colt cartridges to to fire in their 1911's. "Well it's a .45 and it's a Colt". I used to work in a gunshop in the early '80s, and I had to deal with irate customers on several occasions because they bought the wrong ammo.

reprobate--good explanation of the origin of "Long Colt"...even Webster's will GRUDGINGLY acknowledge that after a word or term has been accepted in common usage for a while, it becomes a part of the language...I guess some people need to "give it a rest"...as for me, I guess I'll go to the range and shoot my 625 "Mountain Gun"--in .45 LONG COLT--after I get off work this morning!!!....mikey357

Just because the idiots before you called it "Long" doesn't mean you have to.

Stand on your "hind legs" gentlemen, and call it by its name....45 Colt.

Well, if anyone could show me another rimmed 45 Colt with which it could be confused, I may oblige and call it LC. All that being said, cartridge nomenclature to the novice makes little of no sense. Why call it 357 Sig, when it is actually a 9mm bullet that is used? Why call it a 38 special when the bullet is .357? Or 44 magnum when that bullet is .429? In some cases it is to avoid confusion and in others it is strictly a marketing trick. I understand ALL of that. But there is still no practical reason to say LC today. I am nitpicking here I know. But I swear I don't remember anyone ever saying 45 LC until the last few years. Obviously some people always used that term. But the widespread use of it is a fairly recent happening. Opinions differ, it just strikes me as kind of stupid.

Whether you call it 45 LC or 45 Colt, the people who don't know any better will still confuse it with ACP. What confuses people is the 45 in front of the name, be it Colt, LC, or ACP. All they see is 45 and they figure that is what they need. What does confuse people is the proliferation of two names for the same thing. I wish the gun manufacturers, as well as the ammo and component makers and the writers could all get on the same sheet of music and decide to use one name exclusively for that particular cartridge. A fantasy to be sure, but they really should.

.45 Colt vs .45 Long Colt

Hold on there pardners. This has gone on long enough. Back at the Ponderosa, we didn’t care what you called it-s’long as you knew how to shoot it. If this stuff don’t stop, I’m gonna have to come over thar and sit on somebody. You don’t want that , believe you me. Do you have any idea what a 300 lb. dead guy smells like after all these years?

Sounds like you want a Ruger!

Having shot the Ruger Redhawk and hoping to inherit it one day if I don't buy one of my own first, I'll have to recommend the Ruger.

I own the Ruger SuperRedhawk in .454Casull/.45LC, and my Dad's Redhawk easily handles my .45LC hunting load with no problems and very comfortable recoil. That is a 250RNFP @ 1200 FPS if my memory isn't entirely gone, loaded to produce 500ft-lbs @ 100yards for white-tails. The Redhawk is very comfortable, and although its a large gun the weight is not uncomfortable and would seem to be a nice trail-gun when carried in a good holster.

My recommendation is .45LC if you think you will ever consider reloading, as reloading or buying premium ammo is the best way to get the full use of the .45LC cartridge. If you are adamantly opposed or have no desire to reload and can't afford to feed a gun .45LC cartridges then consider the same redhawk in .44magnum.

Concerning trigger pull, the Ruger trigger is not as smooth as the S&W trigger in alot of ppl's opinion. However, a good gunsmith can refine that Ruger trigger to the point where IMO it no longer matters. Having had the trigger reworked in my SRH I speak from experience, the SRH single-action breaks very nicely and the DA is very smooth and consistent.

Hope all of this helps, and remember spend some time on the range with lower power rounds first and work your way up to the power level you desire and then on to the stompers. You will be doing yourself a favor by working up this way and recoil will not become a problem.

Best Wishes in your Gun Hunting!

Last edited:
Responding to your question

If you have not already bought your choice, then my advice would be to stay with the Ruger.

First of all, recoil from standard 45 LC loads are not that bad at all. Second, if you are worried about recoil, the extra weight in the Ruger would give you a more comfortable shooting experience. Third, the longer barrel (in my opinion which doesn't mean much to any of the women I've dated) gives you a better line of sight for clearer sight and target acquisition and better overall accuracy.

If you are carrying for self defense only and are looking for concealed carry of the pistol, then the snub nose does have it's advantages. I personally had a snub in total titanium and while I loved the way it looked and carried in my front pocket....I sure hated the way it felt when I shot it and hated that I couldn't hit the turban of Osama Bin Ladin from a foot away.

The Ruger also will enable you the option to use stouter 45LC loads that will rival or even out perform 44 Mag loads if you so choose once you get comfortable with your gun. I don't think the boys at Taurus would recommend you doing that with their gun.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Kid

Back