which .45? Glock, SIG, H&K or Kimber

OK, I've got or had all four and here's my opinion:

Glock 21: Blocky and definitely not a concealed carry piece. Although you didn't say this was a consideration, this isn't the guy for comfort carry. My friend's 21 was a jam-o-matic and he ended up chucking it. I sold mine too to buy the next gun, which is:

SIG 220: Fantastic gun. Best DA I've ever shot/had. My wife who has only shot a pistol one time grouped perfectly with it. Very controllable, lightweight, and carries quite well, even though it is a large frame pistol. Can't recommend it highly enough. I've introduced it to three friends and all have ended up buying one.

HK USP 45: Fairly lightweight, and very reliable. Not the prettiest pistol to look at, but real accurate and durable.

Kimber: I have the Ultra CDP and used to have the high-cap polymer. The polymer was a jam-o-matic, but the CDP is an excellent gun and the one I find myself carrying most often. Lightweight, good trigger pull, and very accurate for a small gun.

So if I could only have one, which would it be? Hard choice, but I'd have to go with the SIG 220.

I have a Kimber Pro-Carry SLE and a Glock 30 and Colt XS series and just bought a HK and out of all my .45's this is my most accurate and favorite. Remember this is my opinion! :D

View

I tried very hard to like DA/SA guns and the HK USP in particular. I just can't shoot them worth a durn. Of the ones you mentioned I'd go with the Kimber. If you head down the Glock road don't be afraid to try out the Glock 30. Most folks find this model to be the most accurate of the Glocks and recoil management is really a non-issue, as I found out a few weeks back when I rented one. I love my Kimber Custom Classic but the Glock 30 is on my short list. Can't go wrong with either.

Regards,

Warm Bore

Thanks IamNOTaNUT for the restraint.:)

I would like to reiterate that i'm a big fan of the 1911. As a matter of fact, my next .45 will either be a Kimber CDP Pro or a Wilson CQB commander. It's just that most 1911's are a work in progress (i.e. your extractor). And as for a stock 1911, you can either get a good one or a bad one. Either way, you know you're going to put some money into it sooner or later. That's what makes the design so nice. But the more money you pay for it out of the box, the less you are going to expect to spend later.

It's like a '64 Vette you purchased last week. You either got a steal and expect to spend plenty of time and money getting it running, or you blew your bank wad and bought it from someone who put a lot of TLC into it.;)

-Red-

Hi I have to get into this :) I have 4 1911 style autos and I have a Sig 220. It is a very hard choice to make. I am used to the Single Action trigger of my 1911's but have no trouble wwith th DA/SA trigger of the Sig 220. It's very smooth,and it gets better the more you shoot it. You have to try it if you already haven't. You have to get what fits you the best. Of the choices you gave,I would go with the Kimber or Sig but thats me. You have to find what works for YOU. Also for a 1911 to be ready to go it must be kept cocked and locked. Some are not comfortable with this idea,though it is safe. Anyway the Sig is very accurate.See if you can shoot them both. The HK I would not buy,to expensive and god help you if you ever need service for it.
Glock 30 is a nice choice as well. I have no experiance with the CZ 97 but if it's like other CZ pistols it is a very good gun. So you have a hard choice here.
All these guns should serve you well. I hope this helps.
45automan

In my opinion all of the guns in question are excellent guns, and I would recommend any of them. If there is one particular thing that stands out to you about one, get it.
But in personal experience the third generation Glock model 21 would be the gun to get for all around purposes. Easily cleaned, rugged, lightweight, and no tweaking needed. It is without question the most accurate Glock available, and if the shooter is up to it, you can hit a man sized target from 100 yds with it. It has an accessory rail, if you are interested in light or laser. It has finger grooves which makes it very comfortable. The only thing I would like to add, the third generation model 21 has an fairly large grip. And average to large sized man shouldnt have any problem with the grip size, but someone under say 5'7" unless they have large hands, may find this gun uncomfortable due to the grip size.

I would like to restate that all of the guns in question are very nice guns, but the Glock is my favorite for the all purpose gun, or the owners first gun.

If you are looking for extreme accuracy you might check into guns of a smaller caliber.

Whic .45?

Go w/ the HK. I have the 220, 21C, and the USP. Each was my favorite after I got it, but now the HK is what I use 90% of the time.

I think the poster meant that they are hard to get ahold of? I've seen them all over the place, but they do cost roughly $40 or so.

OTOH, if we are talking disassembly, Glock wins the pain in the rear award for that hands down. If Glock made their magazines and magazine release like HK I would be much happier... still love my G27 though.

Back