Which .38 spl bullet type for new reloader?

I never noticed the smoke from the lube on swaged wadcutter and cast semiwadcutters when shooting PPC, but it matters at IDPA and USPSA rates of fire.

"tons of smoke"?

No, I think PLUMES of smoke would be more accurate lol. OMG, you can even taste it and my throat is all dry and scratchy after for a few hours when shooting it indoors. Now that same load outside with some wind does not seem that bad but inside with low air circulation It's bad.

Buck:

Your response was particularly helpful, thanks. What could go wrong with lead bullets being fussy about throats and bores? Anything drastic, or just a big old mess to clean up?

BondoBob,

I would suggest you buy Lyman's 50th Edition Reloading Handbook. In addition to a lot of load data, it is also a primer on the many aspects of reloading. Hope that helps.

Don

No it’s a must , the Lyman manual is one of the best imo . The abc doesn’t have load data if I recall and the lee data is just copied from other manuals .

Bob,

Definitely not. Lyman has been involved in reloading since 1925 when they purchased Ideal reloading products and their reloading handbooks. I've often said, you can't have too many reloading manuals.

Don

Thinking back to when I started reloading (long time now- my oldest kid was riding her first tricycle then, and now she's flying for the Marines) ... I started with jacketed bullets with a cannelure for 38's..... count yourself lucky that you have this forum.... I had very little information to work with besides a single reloading manual, and nobody wanted to help a new guy out.

Once I had the process down, I went to loading 38's with plated 125gr bullets (Ranier and Berry's) because they were much more economical .... I fired just one box of lead round nose factory bullets .... they dirtied up the gun so bad I swore I'd never put another lead bullet in any of my guns...... plated run cleaner, and at 38 special velocities, there's no good reason to use jacketed bullets. Recoil isn't harsh enough to require a heavy crimp, anyway, and it takes a REALLY heavy crimp to cut through the plating. I've never bothered to try the powder coated bullets- not worth my time to work up new loads by changing anything ..... still running Berry's 125's over red dot.

Bob, you could try Missouri Bullets. 500@ $43.50. Coated 158gr RNFP(round nose flat point), "Cowboy #15 Hi-Tek". These are good bullets and will work well for your .38 loads.
Hope this helps. Opps, forgot: Powder, I'm using Unique, but, Trail Boss seems like it would be fine.

Back