which 357?

isi07734

hey guys, im new to the forum. im looking for my 1st .357, all politics aside, is the SW 686 better then the med size Ruger, ive been looking at 4in barrels. please help!
isi

Which One?

isi, I'd go with the 686, but then I'm partial to S&W. I have a 686 with a 2 1/2 barrel and love it.
Now I will admit Ruger is a good gun for the money. I do own a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 and it has served me well ;)
Good luck with whatever you decide :)

I currently own the following .357s;
Ruger GP-100
Ruger SP-100
Ruger Redhawk
Ruger Blackhawk
S&W Model 28
S&W Model 627 PC
(I think that is it).
Out of them all, I would pick the Ruger GP-100 if I could only own one. The rest of them are very nice guns, and I enjoy owning and shooting them. But, I feel that the GP-100 is the way to go.
I have never owned a 686, and I won't buy a new one due to them selling us out as gun owners to the klinton administration. That being said, I would buy a used 686 with an 8 3/8" barrel in a heartbeat (assuming the price was right). This to me would be a pretty specialized gun since it has the long barrel. There is certainly nothing wrong with a 686, just the company that makes it. Your question as to which is better is like asking which is better looking; blondes or brunettes.

Welcome aboard isi,

Quite frankly, both the S&W and the Ruger are
Quality pieces; however, I prefer the 6"
full lugged barrel of the S&W 686-5. But, you can't go wrong with either choice.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

hey guys,
well today i went to a few gun shops, the rugers are cheaper, the SWs seemed to have a smoother trigger pull and were a bit thinner, people say the rugers are indestructable. so what gives?
im wondering why each of you prefers the brand you chose, is it the grip?handle?durability?or does it have to do with Clinton

The reason I absolutely wounldn't buy a new Smith & klinton is because of the agreement. I enjoy freedom more than I enjoy a few days novelty of owning a new gun. I do not comprimise my rights or those of my children so I can obtain instant gratification. There are several other reasons why I would buy the Ruger. #1 The Ruger is easily stripped down to the frame. THis is a simple proceedure that can be accomplished every time you clean the gun and doesn't take any special tools. The finish is not damaged in any way by doing this. I like to be able to completely clean my guns. Especially when I have been out in the rain or snow. With a S&k you never know if moisture or water got down into the lockwork. #2 is that I think the Ruger is built tougher than the S&k. I DO shoot full power .357 loads out of my .357 guns. If I am shooting .38s, I am shooting a gun chambered for that caliber. When I read about a hot load on the internet or in a magazine, I KNOW that the Ruger can digest them all day, every day. #3 I think Ruger stands behind their products better than S&k. This is only an opinion based on stuff I have heard and read, I have never actually used S&k's service department. But Ruger has always bent over backward to make sure I was happy with their products. Several times I called and asked about the availability of parts like scope rings or different height handgun sights and they sent them to me free. #4 Having actually owned and extensively shot a number of different handguns, I don't feel that Ruger takes a back seat to any of them including their trigger. I honest believe that is just something that makes the rounds of the internet repeated by people who have never owned one. I counted the other day and I belive I own something like 14 different Ruger firearms. I have owned probably half that many S&ks. I have shot all of them extensively. That is what my decision is based on.

Hey isi,

I grew up on S&W revolver's; in particular
the S&W model 57 .41 magnum caliber, with
4" barrel. It performed so well that I just
had to try other S&W's; as well as Ruger's,
Colt's, etc. But, I always came back to S&W's.
I can only recall having one bad one; a 4"
S&W model 19 .357 magnum, bought brand new
from a local FFL dealer. The gun had major
timing problems from the factory; I guess
the gun was made on Monday or Friday and
the quality control folk's were either tired
as hell or very interested in getting to the
house? At any rate, you can get a bad apple
in any batch; guess it was my turn. Finally,
traded it at a huge loss. For me, if something
brand new doesn't work right the first time;
I'm going to unload it somewhere. Never had
a problem with another S&W since then. The
very expensive Colt Pythons are notorious
for timing problems, after only a minimal
number of round's. Why, I don't know? Guess
it has to do with the very delicate internal's.
Let us know which one you decide on?

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

S&W or Ruger

My first handgun purchase was a Ruger New Model Blackhawk SA .357. As I said above it has served me well. As far as DA revolvers I always felt the Smith was a little better and a little nicer.
Ruger revolvers never fit my hand as well as the Smiths did. So all these years I have collected more Smiths than Rugers.;) I only have my Blackhawk which will be going out hunting with me next week :) Always has!;)

MY OPINION

I make stupid ammo; I test using 4" GP (KGP-141).
I own two.
I could have bought anything.
(CorBon, too.)

Have a 357 Redhawk for completely stupid, but the GP has enough cylinder length, strength, and heft for anything a consumer might want.

I like the trigger; dry-fire 10,000 times to slick up action.

Mine wear Pachmayr Decelerators and Millett orange-ramp front sight blades.

My "only-one-gun" gun(s).

Here's my 2 cents........

1) I know you said all politics aside but if you can, read the actual S&W agreement for yourself - I doubt you'll be willing to buy a new S&W after reading it. Ruger's not perfect but the S&W agreement is almost unbelievable!

2) regardless of the S&W agreement, the Ruger KGP-141 is a superb gun by all accounts and I'd probably go that route anyway. Here's why (in my opinion)......

the GP100 is:
a. superbly accurate in test after test, and much more accurate than I'll ever be

b. incredibly reliable

c. practically indestructible with the worst .357 you can put in it - have to admit I haven't personally tried this one though ;)

d. less expensive than a S&W (I personally think due to some finish issues with the Ruger which could be better)

e. a mildly recoiling (if that's a word) gun due to the grip and weight

As for the trigger, most accounts I've read, coupled with some personal experience, show that the GP100 trigger will smooth out a lot with firing. But hey, that sounds like a good excuse to shoot more to me :D

ok, so the ruger is more sturdy then the SW, the SW wont tolerate hot loads all day i guess?do the current SWs have any locking devices?

Greetings,

Yes, the new S&Ws have that silly key locking feature. I'd take a used 686 over the GP100 due to the nicer trigger, but there are some nice Ruger Service/Security Six 357s out there if you look around. I picked up a Service Six very recently, and I think it has a better trigger than my GP100. It's hard to go wrong here because they're all excellent revolvers. If you do opt for the 686, there are many like-new used ones out there without that "safety" lock.

No not all the new Smiths are out yet with the Locking device.. I just bought a new one 686 5" barrel 7 shot with Hi-Viz sights. Could not pass up the deal really did not want a new smith but was a good deal so I bought it and mine does not have the locking device on it.. :cool:

This is sort of an aside to this thread, but I'm thinking about a S&W model 27
(is there a 627 w/ a 6 shot cylinder, made pre-agreement?).

Anybody have experience with these?

Got any ideas about what I should pay for a 90% or better one when I find it?

Thanks.

(is there a 627 w/ a 6 shot cylinder, made pre-agreement?).
Yes, but it does not look like the older-style M27, or it's cousin, the M28. It has a heavy, full-length underlug and a non-fluted cylinder. The only barrel length I've seen has been 6". There was a stainless twin to the 27 made as a one-of-a-kind promotional piece. I've only seen a picture of it once, and I believe it was lavishly engraved.

Instead of a M27, I strongly encourage you to look at the 4" or 6" M28. Much cheaper, and easier to find in most cases.

I'm price conscious, but not too much so.

I'd rather have a M27, as I like adjustibles and am buying it as a "keeper."

I might even go with an older version (pre 27), but shootability is an issue and older guns are more
collectibles than shooters.

I want to state again, I have nothing against buying used smiths. I picked up a used Model 28 in mint condition for $225 within the last year. I see used 4" 686s all the time on the on-line aution pages and in the Gun List. I like the Ruger, but the Smiths are very nice. I like the N-Frame guns because I like the fact that they are overbuilt for the caliber, but the L-Frame is fine for the .357. If you look around and be patient, you can find some terrific deals on used guns.

Back