Which .357

627PC

If you're looking for something distinctive, with exceptional accuracy and good balance, consider the SW Perf Center 627 8shot. 5" bbl. Reloads with moon clips or without. Only thing I don't love are the round-bottom grips, but they are easily replaced with target grips.
m627_5.jpg

For hunting, I'd go with a 6" barrel. For CCW and social occasions, I'd go with the 4" barrel. The 4" barrel would be much easier to carry and conceal, and faster to draw as well.

M1911

I own the SW686 (6") and also a SW66 (4") and surpisingly, the accuracy is not much better on the 6". I put > 80% of rounds within 1" of target center with either gun at 17 yards. The 6" barrel has a slight advantage at 25 yards.

The SW design is better than the Taurus (for a lot of reasons). It's worth the extra money for reliability, quality, smoother trigger, and retained value. I vote SW and am not participating in the boycott.

Shooter.45

As I could see, you just purchased S&W 686. Very nice revolver. I do have GP100, 6" , full underlug, very accurate, but looking back, I would go another way. GP100 is lot of steel (and weight) for 357. Now, I am thinking of different approach to shooting:
For range and ordinary shooting Security Six in 38 Special, second choice 357, 6" barrel, preferably stainless. For everything else, including occasional handgun silhouette shooting and possible hunt, I am thinking of getting or building Bisley in 41 Magnum, 7.5" barrel. Why this? Because, for range, full power 357 isn't needed, and in that case, for less powerful loads I think that 38 Special is superior in accuracy. As for 41 Magnum, I didn't have any yet, but those who have revolvers in that caliber like it more than any other. Accurate, hard hitting, flat trajectory, and still manageable recoil.

Back