Which .357

shooter.45

I am looking at a S&W 686 or a Taurus M66 The Smith has a 6" barrel and the Taurus has a 4" it will be mostly for Range use. and the Taurus is also about 130.00 cheaper. Like both dont really know which one to get.. Any Help or comments would be appreciated.. or maybe a Ruger GP100 looked at that today too. Seems to be built like a tank..

Last edited:
The Smith is probably the better revolver..

And unbreakable, within normal limits...

However, please don't buy an after sellout gun from S&W.
Also, look at the fit and finish very hard.

The Smith & Wesson will retain that $130 compared to the Taurus if you ever decide to sell. The 6" really doesn't buy you much in the target shooting department so I'd opt for a 4 inch M686. Good Luck! best.....dewey

Personally I would opt for the Taurus. Alot of guys on this site dont care too much for the Taurus but they will learn in due time. Smith & Wesson has sold us out to the other side so I wont support them anymore. Taurus has come a long way in the last few years and their handguns are now in very good quality. You wont be disappointed if you choose the Taurus. Besides, with the extra 130 dollars you can get a Makarov too.:D

I own a Smith & Wesson 686-5 with a 6" barrel,
and really do favor it; but barrel length is optional
as prefered by the user. Ruger .357's are also
fine firearms in their own right.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Between the two alternatives you indicated, the S&W 686 is your better choice (IMHO). However, I believe the Ruger GP-100 series is an even better option: reliable, durable, strong as a bank vault, accurate, and only about $350 new-in-box.

A used or pre-agreement S&W 686 would be my choice. They are rock solid, accurate and normally have very good triggers.

There is a great one down here, a used 4" CS-3, magnaported with Hogue wood monogrips at a local pawnshop for $399. You can find police trade ins for $250 - $300 at most any big gunshow.

The GP-100 my dad has will meet all of your needs. It is the 4" stainless model w/ adjustable sights. It shoots very accurately, the recoil from the .357 is almost nil due to the tough construction, and it can shoot .38 specials for cheaper practice sessions. Many complain about the heavy trigger pulls on the ruger. It's definitely not as smooth as the smith, but it's not that bad either. If you really get into shooting it, you can always have a smith give it a trigger job. I would stay away from the taurus, they just seem to be a case of "You get what you pay for." just my two cents worth.

BUY THE TANK

4", stainless, adjustable sight, heavy-lug barrel (KGP-141).

Best single handgun buy; high ownership satisfaction; perfect beginning of any gun collection; MOST VERSATILE handgun for North America.

.357 in a 4" or a 6" barrel?

OK, this should maybe be on another thread, but I'm going to ask it here anyway since there certainly seems to be some good opinions working here.

What are some good arguments, pros and cons, of a .357 in a 4" or a 6" barrel? Is it purely a matter of opinion or is there some science behind it?

I am right now negotiating between a Taurus SS M66, and a Taurus SS M627 Tracker. Both are 6" barrels, and until I read this thread, my only dilemma was the money. (both are used or I would not be able to consider either).

However, through correspondence with Calamity, I have learned that she really likes her Taurus SS M627 Tracker, 4" barrel. I want my new gun to be appropriate for hunting and target shooting, however mostly for target shooting. I have never owned a .357, don't have funds to make lots of big purchases, so I really would like to do it as right as I can the first time.

Give me the scoop...:confused:

Cydnee

Greeting's Cydnee and Welcome To TFL-

In your decision, you stated you wanted a .357
for hunting and/or target shooting, right? Well
now, both of those qualities would play right
into your hand's with a .357 magnum with a 6"
barrel. When hunting with a .357, you need all
the horsepower the gun can generate; we call it
fps or feet per second. FPS increase, as the barrel get's longer; on the average increasing
50fps for every one inch of barrel. As an example,
think of a bullet traveling from a 4" barrel .357
at the rate of 1100fps; then from the 6" tube it
would be pushing 1200fps. This factor could become
very critical in hunting deer size or larger game. I personally don't recommend the .357 magnum
for hunting anything bigger than man.* I would rather leave that up to the .41 and .44 magnums;
or the .45 Long Colt. At any rate, my choice would
be the 6" barrel.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

* As used by law enforcement.

Diffenence between a 4" and a 6"--out to 25 feet(not yards, sorry the eyes are gone t

w/4" I can hit center mass,,the area between the 3rd and 4th button down from the collar.

w/6" I can hit either button.

Smith Model 19-4 in both configurations.

YMMV.

The differences in barrel length are several. As was already mentioned, increasing barrel length increases velocity. Increasing barrel length also increases your sight radius. This means that small errors in sight alignment are magnified with a shorter barrel. Barrel length affects the balance and "feel" of the gun also. Probably the biggest factor in handgun barrel length is ease of carry. I doubt if you will be trying to carry a medium frame .357 concealed but obviously, if you were, the 4" would conceal easier than the 6". More to the point, the 4" is also easier to carry exposed on your hip also. I often carry a handgun on my belt while spending time in the boonies and I find the longer barrels to get in the way. For example, trying to sit in the car results in the barrel sticking into the car seat and the holster tries to pull your belt around your neck. I own somewhere around six .357 handguns and really enjoy them all. If I could have only one, it would be the Ruger GP-100 Stainless in a 4" barrel. It is built well, it is accurate, it is durable, it is very strong, it is reliable, it is easy to maintain, and the size is comfortable to carry.

Thanks much for the responses, good points and information. Decisions, decisions... Sounds like personal preference then application are the best factors. Glad to hear it, and that certainly helps. Of course I'd like to have any edge on a more accurate aim...

shooter.45, thanks for the use of your thread time. :)

Cydnee

Thanks for all the reply's and I ended up getting the S&W 686 6" nice gun very smooth. I pick it up Tuesday cant wait... And again Thanks for all the advice.. I did check out the GP100 too but the 686 was much smoother..

:D

Back