Which .357 Magnum Revolver To Buy

Buy one Colt Python. But, better yet, buy two Ruger GP-100s !! :) :)

Although, you won't need the second one 'cause the first will never break...

Thanks for all the great responses....

Guys, I know why I love posting questions on this sit! I appreciate the plethora of responses. I now have a list of quality .357's to look for. As luck would have it, there is a gun show this weekend in my neck of the woods. I'm going to see what i can dig up.

Once again, thanks all for the responses!

gryphon

GP without the underlug?

I know Ruger makes the GP-100 without the full underlug, but I have yet to see one in any of the stores. Why is the full underlug design so popular? Any disadvantages to the partially lugged barrel? I actually kind of like the look of the 6" GP-100 without the full underlug. There are pictures on Ruger's website.

Dan Wesson flimsy?

Boy, that's a new one! Dan Wessons were some of the strongest DA revolvers out there, until the super-large frame Ruger Super Redhawk and Taurus Raging Bull came around. Whatsa matter, never heard of the .357 Maximum? How 'bout the .375 and .414 UltraMag? All of these were chambered in Dan Wessons exclusively. These rounds are extreme! All exceed .44Mag power levels by a wide margin. It comes down to the cylinder being locked in three places. The latch itself is at the front of the cylinder, where alignment is critical between chamber and barrel to ensure the best accuracy.

Dan Wessons are still, almost 30 years after they were introduced, some of the most accurate DA revolvers out there. Look at the silhouette matches!

The only downside of the Dan Wessons is the instability of the company. It has gone under a few times. Thankfully, though, they keep coming back!

I love my police trade-in Ruger Security Six, six inch barrel. It's accurate, tough, recoil with hot loads is not too bad. It's certainly not something you'd try to conceal, but there's always S & W's new 10 ounce Scandium .357 for that! 10 ounces in a .357! Fire once, then go directly to the orthopedist.

Yeah, and I think it hurts to fire my S&W 642 with +p rounds! I can't imagine firing the new scandium 357.

I bought an S&W M-19 back in 1982. 6" barrel, blued, TT, TH, trigger stop, white outline rear and red patridge front sights. I've always used either 158gr LSWC .38 specials or 158gr JHP/JSP magnums. It will consistantly hit 8"-10" steel plates at 100 yards. The only drawback for me was the uncomfortable S&W issue wood target stocks. I replaced them with a set of Hogue Goncalo Alves without finger grooves grips. It's great!

Made the Purchase!!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I made my purchase this weekend.

I got the Ruger GP-100 6"

Funny thing, I got the Ruger for $40 less NEW than it would have cost me to get a S&W used. I'm sure that there was nothing wrong with the used. But they did have a decent selection ranging from the Ruger Redhawks, to the Taurus and S&W. Price really wasn't an option, but $40 is $40.

Thanks for all your opinions. I'm going to the range now to throw some slugs down range!

Yeah, I know I'll get flamed bad for this from all the Smith, Ruger, and Colt fans, but I just happen to LIKE my humble Taurus M605. :) I would also recommend it to others.:cool:

Back