Which .357 Magnum Revolver To Buy

gryphon

I am in the market for a .357 Mag.

Since I have never owned one before, any suggestions on which ones?

Some of my preferred things would be a around a 6 inch barrel. Other than that, I just want a quality .357 revolver.

First choice, used S&W mod 19 4". Police trade ins quite reasonable and with a bit of care, it will pleasure your grandson.

Second choice, used S&W mod 19 6". Four incher nice all round piece, six incher great for drivin small tacks or gettin food on the table.

Sam.....

I also like the S&W model 19 or the model 66 in stainless.
If you want a heavier piece, the S&W 586/686 is pretty nice.
The Rugers are very good also. I just prefer the S&W.

Neil Casper

Rugers are really strong.
The Smiths have nice trigger actions.
Depends on the fit for your hands; also, grips can be changed. Ones I like: Sp101, M19, M66, M581/681, M586/686.
The 6xx are stainless. Tough to pick.
Forgot: M13, M65
Lots of choices, which is a good thing!:)

Ruger!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recommend the Ruger SP 101....great little (very accurate) revolver. The larger framed GP 100 is also a very good choice.

S&W revolvers do have better trigger pulls, but in every other area I like Rugers better. For more on that, read my pasts posts on this subject.........

Smith N frame

If size is no obstacle, keep an eye out for a S&W M28 (the Highway Patrolman). They will recoil less, and digest anything that'll fit in the cylinder. The M27's are as good or better, but the people selling them seem to think they're made of gold instead of steel, if you get my drift. The M28 is the poor relation at the family reunion, and seldom bring more than $250. Best.

New or Used?

New: I'd probably go with the Ruger GP-100 with a 6 inch (KGP-161) or 4 inch (KGP-141) barrel. They are really good guns.

Used: I'd start looking at the older S&W N-frames such as the M-27 and M-28 or if you're looking for something a little less bulky, a K-frame M-19.

I have a Ruger KGP-161, a M-27 and am waiting my 10 days for a M-28. The Ruger's a good gun but both of the S&W's have had their triggers worked and they're very nice.

Look around, but all of the above are quality. It comes down to your preference.

I will second Hutch's recommendation of a Smith & Wesson model 28.:) Mine is a 28-2 with a 6" pinned barrel, and
recessed chamber's. Makes for a great target firearm.
Bought it out of Illinois for $270.00, and it arrived
in LNIB at about 99%. They don't make 'em like this, anymore.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

gryphon - you never mentioned what you were going to be doing with it or how much you want to spend.

i'm amazed that with all the good advice you have received already that no one has mentioned the rolls royce of .357's - the colt python, a bit pricey but a true piece of the gunmaker's art. it fills your request for a 6" barrel and is large enough to be a good learning gun (more weight = less recoil)

a close 2nd choice would be the smith m-27 with a 5" barrel (skeeter skelton's choice in a carry gun), beautifully balances the larger n-frame. IMHO it points (as opposed to aiming) better than the python. the m-28 is the same gun w/utility finish.

if you want the most accurrate DA .357, don't overlook the dan wessons models

If you're only gonna have one 357 and can afford it, there's nothing like Colt's Python. The first time you fire one you'll forget all about S&Ws. For economy & practical sake, Ruger makes the best bang for the buck as far as new revos go.

I don't think you will regret buying a Ruger GP100 in 6"... that said, go to the search engine (search) on this site and look for 357mag or S&W 686 or Ruger GP100 etc. and see all the great info. you turn up... enjoy the pursuit

which .357 Magnum revolver to buy

don't waist your time.. S&W 686... the 686+ is even better..
the increased one round makes since after the max clip capacity of pistols is less to only 10.. the 4" is great for every kind of shooting.. to carry around get model 66 same quality .. smaller to carry.

Smith & Wesson 686--the universal soldier.
Stainless,a trigger you can play with 'til it's right.
Sights you can choose to suit and an all-round good gun.Apart from some foreigners (Manuhrin & Korth),there is nothing better made,or easier to care for.
Rugers have rat**** triggers,and Dan Wessons are flimsy.
Don't take my word for it though.Go down to the range,and see what people are shootng.Try them out.The 686 is one of the great guns of all time--it is a shooter,good to look at and a must to own. Just my opinion.

Back