which 22lr??

out of three local shops only one has 22's and these were the choices. none will guarentee anything ordered to get here by Christmas and i have to get one by then as my friends said this is a Christmas gift. I am really only interested in revolvers as i have never cared for autos. i have thought of ordering maybe from buds or other place close to me but a $50 transfer fee really cuts into my money. i can't get time through Christmas to drive very far to look any place else. i am going to wait a little longer as the other shops have some ordered but none in yet, some rossi plinker and taurus 94 as well as a few ruger single actions. will post as soon as i get anything. thanks

$50 Transfer...WOW! Even the highest priced shops in my area charge $35. But look around for a "kitchen table" dealer which are usually a lot less. Check with Bud's for a preferred transfer dealer in your area. I have found them charging $15-$20.

.22LR

Don't rush into this purchase/

Take your time, 22's are always available.

Set your sights on a used Ruger MK I or II. They would only be a few dollars more than you already have.

Don't let a Christmas deadline push you into something you're going to be disappointed with, don't make it money wasted.

Explain to your friends that appreciate the help very much, and you WILL consider it a Christmas gift, but WAIT TILL YOU CAN FIND A BETTER ALTERNATIVE.

All of those you gave are poor choices for your stated purposes.

The Heritage is the only one with a suitable barrel length for rabbits & squirrels, and 3-inch groups at 15 yards is not good enough.

I have two NAAs & I'd not use either one for that type of shooting.
No two-inch barrel like those on the two you mention would be useful for critters either.
And the Heritage may or may not hold up for many years of shooting.
They get mixed reviews & as I said- low end.

If your buddies chipped in to give you a Christmas gift, don't waste their money & their efforts on a gun you'll quickly find doesn't do what you want it to do or be.

Your buddies should understand that & if you wait for a better choice by tossing in a few bucks of your own & shopping around, it can still be a Christmas present, even if it's a late one.

Each of the choices you mention has a place, but of the four only the Heritage comes close to YOUR place.
Denis

If the Ruger has a 4" barrel I'd go for that. If not, the Heritage for useful shooting. But if your budget allows you to go up to $349 you are already at the level of a Ruger MK III, at least at the gun shops in my area. Any of the Ruger MK pistols are what I would recommend.

Not sure if its a record or not, but nearly a quarter of the posts here in the REVOLVER forum, with the OP asking about a revolver, either mention or directly recommend a semi auto.

If you're looking for the best value in a single action .22 revolver, look for a USED Ruger and if you can stand it, one with a ratty finish is usually cheaper.

There's no chance that a .22 has been damaged with too hot reloads, and anything a previous owner did (if they did anything at all) can be put back to factory spec by Ruger.

If you do get one, and it needs some work, call Ruger (after the holidays). Might be cheaper than you think.

I bought a Super Single Six convertible to use teaching my kids. With an autoloader, kids tend to shoot faster than they aim. With the SA revolver, one has to "work" for each shot, which means they might as well aim...;)

UPDATE!!

sorry i haven't updated been busy, well me and my wife went to check at all the shops and one shop had a taurus 4 inch 94 in, trigger pull was so bad i had trouble with it so i passed. my wife mentioned possibly carrying as she can open carry till she can get her permit. so this put another idea in the gun we needed, she had surgery a few years ago and can't handle recoil on her wrist, her finger strength is good but when she shot my service six with low recoil 38's it hurt her for several days. when she mentioned about carry i thought of the lcr 22mag but she wanted to check the lcr 22 out. the shop that had the lcr 22 had caps to let her dry fire, she loved the gun and we got the lcr 22. so my Christmas present has turned into her's but thats ok as now we both can go in the back yard to shoot. she said i could carry and shoot it too, i'll have to see how it shoots first before hunting with it. so i have a new shootin buddy, so things turned out pretty good. thanks for all the help.

If you got a .22 LCR with internal hammer & 2-inch barrel, you're not gonna be doing much hunting with it.
Denis

You might want to peruse the Colts over on Gunbroker.com.
The single action Colt Commemoratives go up and down in price all the time.

Quite a few of them are nothing but fancy dressed up shooters since they made so many of them they'll never have any real collector value.

Ruger LCR, of course. While I really like my NAA's, they are single action. The HRR is a good inexpensive plinker. Strictly entry level. The LCR is much more versatile. Plink and can be used as SD in a pinch.

Congratulations on your wife being your new shooting buddy ! Everything else is secondary. You did get a good revolver, by the way. :)

Back