which 22lr??

old fart

my local shop has a few 22lr guns on sale, the more expensive more so than the cheaper ones. i have a ruger lcr9mm for a carry gun and have wanted a 22lr for a while. i never could save enough but a few friends got together and put enough money together to give me and with the rule i have to get a 22lr with it. i guess i have worried them sick talking about one, so i went to my local store and they have these to chose from. a heritage rough rider 6 inch barrel $159, a north american arms black widow 2 inch $275, north american arms mini master 4 inch $285, a ruger lcr $349. all guns come with a free 400rd box of browning 22lr solid lead. they only have one of each and i plan on going tomorrow morning. i am leaning toward the ruger because my 9mm lcr has been great. the gun will mostly be used for plinking and maybe rabbit or squirrel if they sit still, my wife is recoil shy and has said she may try it as well. so which would ya'll choose and why?, thanks for any help.

Go Ruger

Wow I need to make some better friends.......

If revolver is what you must have consider the LCR or the Rough Rider as a distant second. The RR is single action, not a big deal for a plinker. The NAA's are pretty much a niche gun, cool nonetheless.

If revolver is not a must consider a Ruger MK. series or 22/45 depending on which grip angle you like. The Ruger MK. series is one of my very favorite handguns, I like the Luger like grip angle.

The Heritage is low-end, but does have a usable barrel length.

The NAAs are not much good for what I'd call "serious" shooting, especially the 2-incher.
Those are small, don't have very good triggers for situations where accuracy counts.

The Ruger, if a barrel longer than 2 inches, would be your best choice in terms of quality & size.
If a 2-inch, forget it.

None are the best choices for long-term rabbit or squirrel, but you'd probably be better off with the Heritage.

If you can possibly save up a few more bucks, you can do better across the board in quality, accuracy, and durability.
Denis

One more thought

There are a ton of the Ruger MK. series out there, and in fact I like the older ones better. Still miss my Mk. 2 Govt. target, I have a Mk. 3 but the Mk. 2 was the better gun. Of course with the MK. 2 bull barrel and the scope I put on it I sometimes felt like it needed wheels. Twas a heavy sucker.
My Mk. 3 has a shorter bull barrel that has been machined to make it lighter....can't remember the word for it right now.

I too would look for a Ruger "MK" semi. Which "MK" doesn't really matter, get the one you can get the best price on.

Of the revolvers you mention, the NAA are not really serious shooting guns IMHO. They're guns you get after you've got a serious gun, and just want one for "grins and giggles."

I've had a couple of Rough Riders. They were OK. Nothing fancy, but then they didn't need to be for what they were.

If you really want a .22 revolver, I see used High Standard Sentinels and H&R .22 revolvers all the time that are great little guns in the under $200 range.

Going with long-discontinued guns and/or companies no longer offering support for them has its own risks.
Denis

i have a ruger lcr9mm for a carry gun
i went to my local store and they have these to chose from. a heritage rough rider 6 inch barrel $159, a north american arms black widow 2 inch $275, north american arms mini master 4 inch $285, a ruger lcr $349
To me the choice would be a no brainer. The Ruger LCR-22. You already have the same gun in 9MM, and even though the rimfire version will not have as good of a trigger, it would still be a great alternative to shooting 9MM ammo all the time for practice.
The Rough Rider is a fun, and economical plinker. The NAA Mini revolvers are fun, but not very practical.

Quality-wise, I'd agree with LCR, but NOT in a 2-inch barrel for rabbits & squirrels.
I wouldn't recommend a 2-incher in any brand or configuration for those.
Denis

Parts for a Ruger Mk.???

There will ALWAYS be parts for the Ruger Mk. series. Regardless of vintage. Hell if Ruger don't got em there are a number of companies that specialize in the Ruger Mk. series aftermarket. Everything including new frames are available.

Yes there are plenty of more obscure guns out there. The Ruger Mk. ain't one of them. I would avoid some of the more obscure guns, esp. as a newbie.

You have already had good suggestions but I will just add a 4" Rossi Plinker, I absolutely love the thing but they seem to be rarer than hens teeth. A way to get them is to go on every internet gun sale site and sign up to be notified when they are in stock.

I'm assuming that heritage is new? The ones we have had lately have a coupon in there to get te magnum cylinder for $30. Hopefully you can haggle some. When ours sit six months, they get marked down to $110 so they can be had cheaper. Nonetheless it would be my choice given the use.

If you thinking of a heritage RR and you have $350 why not go with a ruger single six 22/22 mag? Its a much better gun you can plink with and hunt with.

I have been looking at the ruger sr-22s myself. I saw them on GB just last night from $250 up to $400 NIB. Just a thought. And they have excellent reviews here.

Last edited:
Only have had two .22 handguns a Ruger single six (that I sold like a idiot) and my Current Smith and Wesson 617.
After having Two of the best .22 rimfire revolvers made...................anything else just seem like a wast of time??:rolleyes:

My .22LR revolvers:

Ruger Super Single Six
adjustable sights
.22WMR cylinder

It don't get better until you reach the Freedom Arms level (and price!)

S&W Model 17-6
only 6 (hey, its a traditional revolver!;))
S&W old school quality
The grips alone are worth more than some budget .22s!

Personaly, I would pass on all they choices you named, and save up to get a really GOOD gun.

(and, unless you are planning on pocket carry, there's no point to a snubnose .22. get enough barrel to be easily usable, 4" or more for a sport pistol.)
Just my opinion, and worth what you paid for it...;)

A Ruger Single Six is like a Rough Rider, but better in every way (except for price).

Of the ones you mentioned, the Rough Rider would be the one for plinking and possible rabbits/squirrels. The lack of real sights and the plastic knob on the end of the ejector rod are turn-offs, though.

DPris said:
The NAAs are not much good for what I'd call "serious" shooting, especially the 2-incher.
Those are small, don't have very good triggers for situations where accuracy counts.
This is not true. I shot my MiniMaster at 15 yards offhand and was getting 3 inch groups. Rested and with diligant testing with different ammo will yield better results. The nice thing about the NAA I found, was since it's a spur trigger, I can use both index fingers to pull the trigger, which resulted in better groups.

If you can possibly save up a few more bucks, you can do better across the board in quality, accuracy, and durability.
I'll agree with this though. Ruger may soon be coming out with a .22 LCRx, which has an exposed hammer for SA/DA, has a longer barrel, and adjustable sights. This is the revolver I want and would have bought it over the NAA Minimaster, but Ruger doesn't want to make it for some reason. Instead, Ruger seems adament to make clunky "American" pistols that are bound to wind up next to the P89 in pawn shops.

I have both a Mk3 22/45 and a Rough Rider. I like them both and I would buy them again. I love revolvers but I shoot the 22/45 most of the time. They are both accurate but I think I shoot the 22/45 more because a semi is far easier and faster to reload than a revolver. If I had to own one 22 weapon, it would be the 22/45.

Back