Which 223 (or 556) should I get?

I have a CZ 527 American in .223. It has a set trigger and I haven't really worked out handholds with it yet, but the potential is there. A fine beautiful rifle.

Thompson Center not available right now

I believe Smith & Wesson dropped the T/C line of rifles about 3 years ago. Market must be too dog-eat-dog competitive to make a profit. It's a shame because the T/C Compass I have in 5.56/223 will shoot 1/4 MOA with the right ammo. 22 inch barrels were the shortest you could get with T/C though.

I just picked up A Ruger American Predator in 223. 22" barrel, 4X12X44 mm scope, comes with a 10 round magazine and will accept AR-15 magazines from Buds Gun Shop a package deal with the scope.

I bought a Ruger American chambered in 5.56 not to long ago, mainly out of curiosity and to experiment with loading rounds high for caliber slugs. Ruger was under $500, and the twist is 1:8, which is fast enough for slugs up to 72 grains. The only things I did to it was to tune the trigger a tad and add an inexpensive scope.

So far, I like it. Short and light, and I like the fact that I can use M4 magazines. Still working on loads, but so far I can equal or better 1 MOA up to 300 yards, so long as the wind isn’t screaming.

Back