Which .223 bolt for collection

Joed, from the Remington line, which would be considered heavy barreled?
The SPS Varmint was my choice a couple years ago and I'm sure there are others. It's a good solid platform. I stumbled into a a stainless version at Cabelas on sale for about $410 which I couldn't pass up.

It has been a great rifle for me. Accuracy was not bad out of the box and there are a lot of add ons available for Remington. Not once have I regretted the purchase.

He mentioned target shooting and hunting, but no right away. Stay away from the heavy barrel. At the beginning your probably not gonna set the world on fire, just shooting for fun and to learn. Down the road you may decide you want to hunt and target shoot, there is no rifle made that is satisfactory for both if you compete! The accuracy rifle with a 24" or 26" barrel just isn't gonna handle all that well in the field, to heavy! The lighter weight sporter simply won't really let you be competitive on a regular basis. But the lighter sporter will shoot groups you won't believe properly tune with handloads! I have several sporter's that will shoot far better than I can. I know that because on a good day I'll get groups around 1/2" at 100yds. I have another in a heavy for hunting rifle that will keep bullet's inside 5" at 500yds' None of those rifles stand a chance in most competition's. One thing I might say in favor of target shooting is that the 223 is a good choice for target's. Long barrel life, accurate and almost no recoil. But for hunting I wouldn't recommend it for anything larger than a coyote!

Zero in on yourself a bit more. Is the result seem to be leaning toward competition or hunting? Toward hunting, I'd get something in maybe 6.5 caliber but not a magnum. And on smaller case's, 308 vrs 30-06, I'd go with a 22" barrel, the 30-06 case with a 24" barrel.

This is a 100yd group with a sporter weight 22" barrel from a bench. Won't win any comptition's but I don't shoot competition. Those square's are 1 x 1"

https://i.imgur.com/vMtcLpZl.jpg?3

I would go with the Cabella 12FV, 223, 6.5, your choice.

Keep in mind, if you want to upgrade it to a good looking stock, Boyds makes a drop in for the action that is very nice at a low price. I prefer the laminates for stability of target shooting (while many do not realize it, Laminate is a composite and is as stable and more solid than plastic and as good or better than Fiberglass)

Basic stock is under $150. You can add an adjustable cheek riser and or stock extension. That does start to cost though (up past $200) . Some great Laminate color choices.

I have seen the 12FV for $279 with a Cabella sale and Savage Rebate

It also has the quite good acu trigger that you can adjust down to 1.5 lbs.

"...plan is to use at the range..." Formal target shooting or just because it's fun?
"...$400-$500..." Including the sights? Remember that a decent scope and mounts will cost a couple hundred.
Look into a Savage package rifle. A 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP(higher end than an Axis and it weighs a pound more. That's good for non-hunting.) with a 3-9x40 Nikon scope is currently on sale at Cabela's for $499.88. They're showing an M700 ADL with no sights at $499.99 with a $100 mail in rebate available.

Thank you guys for the replies. A lot of information and many options to choose from. I have seen the 12FV really low after the rebate and sale. Wouldn't mind getting that rifle if it ever gets near that pricing again. I do understand that I would have to purchase the scope if rifle does not come with one already, which I don't mind buying one for it either.

Rifle not planning on hunting large game, only small but at the moment I don't have property to go and use the rifle. But if I do get a chance to hunt on property for something small, would use this rifle eventually.

As mentioned primarily for range for target shooting. As I am nowhere near competition level, still have to learn a lot and practice a lot as many will suggest I do first. I do plan on loading my own .223. I get it that one can't get all in one rifle.

So I'm late to the party but a few things;

1. I can't believe no one has mentioned looking at howa rifles

2. The cz 527 is available in .223(90% sure)

3. I would stay away from recent Remington productions, they've had issues recently. Not sure if that directly applies to their bolt guns but given the current status of the company I'll probably wait on their products until things get in order..
Or go on clearance :D

My primary consideration in recommending the CZ 527 and the Tikka are the SUPERIOR ACCURACY. The alternative Ruger is not as accurate on average. On average while generally very good to adequate neither the Ruger or Savage can be counted on to deliver as high a level of accuracy as CZ or Tikka. IMHO, based on considerable collective experince - a lot of friends with a lot of guns and my own.

The Tikka has better lock, stock, barrel and trigger. It is not nice or stylish, it is is a solid better choice on all accounts. Everything is better than the other two.

The CZ is just as good as Tikka (lock, barrel, trigger, stock) with high class walnut stock and fine metal work. And you probably pay an extra 100 or two for that "niceness".

My CZ 527 varmint will do 1/2 MOA with factory ammo and that was day 1, with only a couple loads tested. it was so good, I quit testing and just started hunting.

My primary consideration in recommending the CZ 527 and the Tikka are the SUPERIOR ACCURACY. The alternative Ruger is not as accurate on average. On average while generally very good to adequate neither the Ruger or Savage can be counted on to deliver as high a level of accuracy as CZ or Tikka. IMHO, based on considerable collective experince - a lot of friends with a lot of guns and my own.

The Tikka has better lock, stock, barrel and trigger. It is not nice or stylish, it is is a solid better choice on all accounts. Everything is better than the other two.

The CZ is just as good as Tikka (lock, barrel, trigger, stock) with high class walnut stock and fine metal work. And you probably pay an extra 100 or two for that "niceness".

My CZ 527 varmint will do 1/2 MOA with factory ammo and that was day 1, with only a couple loads tested. it was so good, I quit testing and just started hunting.
Almost every Savage .223 I've ever been in the presence of shoots sub 3/4" groups. I haven't shot a Ruger or even witnessed one being shot. I have a M11 Predator that holds MOA to 600 yards with no wind.

There was a group of guys at my local range that were there almost every day shooting tiny groups with their STOCK Savage .223s. There was a couple 12BVSS, a model 25 Lightweight Varminter Thumbhole, and one guy who was winning 200-yd benchrest matches with a M12 LRPV in .223.

I don't think I've ever seen a CZ or Tikka winning at the benches.

I love the the 527 Varmint but they're not as nice as the internet guys are saying. They're pretty rough cut, in my opinion. And Tikka priced themselves out of the budget market.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On average(in my experience & opinion)from the factory Savage is far and away the most accurate base rifle offered.

So I have narrowed it down to two options: 12FV and 10T-SR Tactical. I did go to store to hold/feel it. Did like both of them. Now the 10T does have a threaded barrel, just not sure if I will ever really use it. For that caliber, is a muzzle brake or silencer really needed/necessary? Did see that 12FV is 2" longer than the 10T.

I know I still have to purchase a scope.

I've got 2 of the FV12's, a 223 & a 204R, call 'em the twins. Both are very accurate rifles, the stocks are a common complaint but I'm getting sub MOA with handloads on a regular basis. Cabelas usually puts these models on sale 2x's a yr with a $100 Savage rebate on top of that. I've got about $250 in each rifle after sale & rebates before scopes & rings.

Can't comment on the 10T model, but the threaded barrel would be nice in terms of it's already set up to accept a silencer if the mood ever hits you. Check out savageshootersdotcom for lots of comments on the FV12.

Thanks for the input jpx2rk. For me at the moment, the threaded barrel is making me not to make a final decision.
I think the 10T would be a little more practical (for me) but I think it's quite a bit more expensive than the 12FV, right?

I LOVE my little M11 Trophy Predator model in .223. I traded the scope that came on it for a bunch of brass and put a Vortex Viper PST on it. It's heavy but not too heavy to carry around. Also generally a lot more $$$ than a 12FV but I think it's quite a bit more practical if you're ever going to carry it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I also wanted to add that the 11 Trophy Predator Hunter comes with the 1.5lb Accutrigger and it's fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes, at the moment the 10T is about $130 and that is because it is on sale for $549 but for a few more days.
That's what the 11 TPH sells for, I think. You could also sell the Nikon scope for what it's worth that comes on it. I'm not sure if the 12FV or 10T comes with the "varmint" Accutrigger (1.5lb) but that feature is worth it to me.

The 11 TPH has an Axis-style stock and magazine but I actually like it. The barrel generously free floats and won't flex enough to touch while shooting. It shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards and sometimes 3/4" groups at 200 yards with handloads, Federal GMM, or Outback 69gr Sierra MKs. I bought 10 boxes of that Outback when Cabelas had it for $12 a couple years ago.

Back