Which .223 bolt for collection

ninosdemente

I don't have the luxury to borrow or rent one. Hopefully someone with way more experience can suggest a rifle. Don't have a specific manufacturer in mind. At the moment have a budget between $400-$500, if descent price range. If it can be lower better, if possible. Not planning on using it for hunting yet, at least not the primary use. The plan is to use at the range.

Don't have much in my collection, but would like to start with this caliber.

I have gone to Cabela's site which offers quite a few selection. Not sure where to start. Thank you for the help in advanced.

Are there any particular features you’re interested in?

I have a Ruger American Predator, the newer model that takes AR mags, and it is extremely accurate. It won’t win any beauty pageants, it’s certainly more a utility piece. But I would recommend it without hesitation.

If you appreciate quality in walnut and blue steel. I highly recommend the cz 527. That is a little above your budget. I assume that budget is just arbitrary limit based on some common choices. If nt then work another week or two and save a few more bucks, better than settling for less. The CZ is worth the wait.

Next is the Tikka T3. That is more modern synthetic gun. Is it a lot better quality than your Ruger/Savage options. Again quality first. The stock has a good feel. Good trigger and excellent sako barrel.

That is two solid choices, CZ for a classic or Tikka for a modern. Both high quality and accurate. You use the word collect. It suggest a little more.

Last edited:
If you appreciate quality in walnut and blue steel. I highly recommend the cz 527. That is a little above your budget. I assume that budget is just arbitrary limit based on some common choices. If nt then work another week or two and save a few more bucks, better than settling for less. The CZ is worth the wait.

Next is the Tikka T3. That is more modern synthetic gun. Is it a lot better quality than your Ruger/Savage options. Again quality first. The stock has a good feel. Good trigger and excellent sako barrel.

That is two solid choices, CZ for a classic or Tikka for a modern. Both high quality and accurate. You use the word collect. It suggest a little more.
I would say accuracy/reliability before quality. It seems like you’re equating “quality” to “niceness.” Not to say those things aren’t important, but they are secondary to function. There’s little point to owning a beautiful, $700 - $1000 rifle that shoots 2 MOA when you can get a $400 rifle that shoots 1MOA or less. And that isn’t to say CZs and Tikkas are inaccurate. But it seems less than objective to promote them over other models with proven, reputable accuracy just because they are nicer, especially when they are outside the OP's price range. They won’t serve the purpose any better.

Again, I’m not so pro Ruger that I am unable to see other options. My next rifle may very well be a CZ 557 6.5x55.

Damon, thanks for the reply. I did look at the 12FV which had crossed my mind for a 6.5 creed rifle as I was told was great because of the heavy barrel.

Tallest, because I consider myself still at amateur level with anything in firearms, I probably not looking at specific features that perhaps I should and probably why I can't make up my mind in which rifle to get. Well, now that you ask, barrel thickness is a feature that is in my mind. For this caliber does barrel thickness matter a lot? I do know that eventually would like to use it for shooting past 100 yards. Is this the rifle you were referring to this one? https://www.cabelas.com/product/sho...ator-bolt-action-rifles/2737498.uts?slotId=11

You are right, does look off with that magazine but do like the idea of getting more capacity in one magazine at a time. I have a 30-06 rifle and bought 3 additional magazines to allow me with the flow of removing and inserting a fully loaded magazine without having to shoot, load, insert, shoot and start all over again.

Fourbore, I looked at the cz 527 but it is not in .223. https://www.cabelas.com/product/CZ-CARBINE-BOLT-ACTION-RIFLE/2287064.uts?slotId=0
Eventually would like to get other caliber rifles in the future.

I also looked at the Tikka T3, but it is more than what I was planning on spending on a .223 rifle. For that price I wouldn't mind spending on a 6.5 creed rifle first as that would be my primary shooting rifle. Maybe as I mentioned to Tallest, my lack of knowledge is making me underestimate the .223 caliber to some extent.

I thank you all for your input as it does give me something to look more into.

I know this would be more of personal preference, curious on the Remington rifles. Any opinions on these?

Tallest, you mentioned not necessarily having to own an expensive firearm. This has sure been somewhat of a dilemma for me. I know if I spend a fortune on a rifle, I understand that doesn't translate to me being a way better shooter. I know I have to work if I want to achieve a certain level or simply getting better and better. You said "$400 rifle that shoots 1MOA or less", where can I get one of these? Lol.

I would say anytime you're getting a rifle specifically for target shooting, barrel weight matters, even it is a "cooler" caliber like 223. A true sporter will heat up significantly with shot after shoot no matter what round you're putting through it. Varmint weight barrels are good place to begin if you don't want a full heavy bull barrel target rifle. But if you're trying to get your tightest possible groups at 200 yds or farther, you'll want something heavy.

So then the 12FV or the Ruger American Predator would be a good starting point? Are these considered varmint weight barrels or heavy barrels? As mentioned, am interested in shooting eventually past 100 so would like to get the tightest groups as possible. Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I would say you're in the right category. And thought it pains me to say it, I think the Savage wins. You have 26" barrel on the Savage 12 VF which is 4" longer than the Ruger. That is going to add weight and increase velocity a bit. It's a 1 in 9" twist, which will stabilize bullets up to about 70 grain. So unless you want to shoot heavy, long-range bullets, it'll do what you want really well. Savage makes a great gun for the money, and they are reputedly accurate out of the box.

You answered my question before I asked and that was about the extra barrel length. Well, I would like to use for long range shooting and for me long range shooting is past 100yds.

With the quality of firearm's today this is a simple problem. Your not concerned with feature's right now, at least shouldn't be. They are all pretty much alike. They all seem to be very accurate for the most part too. What you need is not a rifle some one recommends but rather one you like to look at and hold. Pretty much they all take the same after market product's. Pick any scope you like and the mounting hardware for what ever rifle you want is available! There really is no power in anyone's opinion's on which make the best firearm's, it's simply a personal thing.

A $2000 Sako will not out shoot a $300 Savage necessarily. They both will pretty much do the same but, one look's lot better doing it! You find a rifle that you like looking at and that feel's good in your hands and you probably have a rifle you'll learn to shoot well. Buy a rifle that you don't like looking at and doesn't feel good and likely you won't shoot it well! Unless your talking about competitive shooting, one will be as good as another if you learn to shoot well with a rifle you like. None of this is to say the messed up rifle doesn't make it the the store now and then.

You are right, I need to get something that is to my liking. Just wanted to get an idea of what people have or shot with. I just wanted to avoid having to buy and then regret later. Although a very looking nice rifle is tempting but then reality hits when I know it's something I just can't get yet because of pricing. For me a wooden rifle is more of my liking but not all are made in wood. So I did get use to the synthetic feel. Not a big deal as I know one can purchase an after market wood stock.

If you are just getting into a .223 I would also recommend one of the lower priced options: Savage, Ruger American, Mossberg MVP. The Savage accutrigger is as good a factory trigger as you can get before moving on to aftermarket stuff. IF you can find a rifle with a little larger contour, even better. At your place, I would buy in your initial price range/potentially less, and spend whatever other money you might have spent on a very nice rifle, on glass and ammo/range time. And training is always good. But get what you want/like and you'll enjoy it, get better, and eventually realize what you would like to get as far as other options, a la stock, trigger, glass, barrel. Don't attempt to guess what you will end up with because more than likely, you will try several things before you find exactly what you like.

I was once in your shoes. For the range go with a heavy barrel, I did and do not regret it. When it comes to which rifle to buy pick one up and hold it, you'll find the one you want that way. Work the bolt to see how smooth it is too.

I would also consider Remington, I have quite a few of them and like them. Some complain about QC on Remington but I've never had a bad one even on recent rifles.

ninosdemente wrote:
At the moment have a budget between $400-$500, if descent price range. If it can be lower better, if possible.

I bought a Savage Axis in 223. Took a little bit to get the reloading dies that reloaded for semi-automatics for nearly 40 years adjusted to accommodate the Savage's tighter chamber. Other than that, it has been very accurate and highly satisfactory right out of the box. Savage makes a model with an adjustable trigger and that might be worth the few dollars more.

The Dicks (Field and Stream ) version of Cabellas 12 FV is the 12VT. Usually go for around $400.

You could also keep your eyes peeled for a 110FP in the used sections. Picked one up for the wife for $250.

Back