Which 22 Ammo

I'd suggest that if you're having trouble with FTF's in your autos, keep 'em clean: the bolt face, inner rails, and chamber. Just a little grease/bullet lube build up in those areas will give you fits with reliability.

Too, my guns do not like grease of any kind on the rails as a lube, regardless of air temperature. Instead, I use CLP and get good results. I clean the above components every time I shoot, and re-lube with CLP (Break Free) before each session. This regimen will give me at least 50 rounds of reliability...anything beyond that is iffy, depending on ammunition choice...but If I had to pick one brand of .22 for reliability, and where extreme accuracy was not necessary, it'd be CCI Mini-Mags, solids. YMMV, Rod

Stay away from the cheap Remington Game loads/thunderbolts.
I'd say at least try them because you never know.

The most accurate ammo my Ruger .22/45 shot were indeed a lot of Thunderbolts.
Thankfully, that was way back when - when Dick's had them on sale and there were plenty to be had.

Between my wife and myself, we bought all of that lot that we could find - somewhere around 50,000 rounds.

On the flip side of things, one of the most inaccurate rounds I ever shot in that gun was Green Tag.

Go figure...

What Rodfac said:
"I'd suggest that if you're having trouble with FTF's in your autos, keep 'em clean: the bolt face, inner rails, and chamber. Just a little grease/bullet lube build up in those areas will give you fits with reliability"

I run CCI Mini Mags most of the time, solids if I can but hollow points if that's available. Hollow points seem to be more picky with magazine position with my observations. Anytime I start to have cycling problems it seems to lean towards things need to be cleaned. I enjoy cleaning my guns and maintaining them. I would say most of the time over lubing causes early guck problems in the action.
As soon as any feed problems raise there ugly face I first turn towards my magazines. I completely disassemble them and clean them with unsented finger nail polish remover. I assemble them with no lube and go back shooting.

While there are always exceptions, generally standard velocity is more accurate than high velocity. CCI Standard Velocity offers decent performance at a low price. Also, some pistols can be damaged by a steady diet of high velocity ammunition. I shot sort of 3 Rugers (one had a Volquartsen receiver) for several years in competition and CCI Standard Velocity never had a malfunction provided the round fired. I did have a couple CCI rounds over the years that missed some priming compound and did not go off. For a little more money SK Standard Plus/Wolf Match/Target performs better. YMMV

I have the 22/45 with a VQ trigger in it that shoots everything I have put in it with the exception of CCI SV I have to clean the mag. It seems they have more lube or wax on them and it gums up my magazine.

IMO, reliability is more important than accuracy for shooting the Steel Challenge. A jam or dud cartridge is will cost you than using a missed shot. Find a cartridge that is reliable and available so you have a steady supply.

Each .22 is different, but I use CCI AR Tactical copper plated in my 1022 and my Mk3/45 likes Federal Target Grade Performance bulk pack ammunition. In a pinch, either ammunition works in both firearms.

I would choose either CCI Mini Mags (HV) or CCI standard velocty stuff for a handgun assuming it functions reliably with the ammo.

Generally speaking, I have found semi-autos run a little better with copper plated/washed 22LR.

All my .22lr pistols happen to shoot CCI Blazer very well. It's relatively clean, and cheap to boot. My '68 Model 41 prefers this over the Standard Velocity rounds. Go figure. I'd say try every brand that is available AND affordable to see which one the gun likes best.

Back