where to start as a begginer in competitive shooting

Typical distances in USPSA are from about 2 to 30 yards. The targets are bigger, but that is the no points down zone. We have plates, 8, 10 and 12 inches too. There are some sporadic 50 yard standards here and there, but not many. In 3Gun, we shoot pistol out close to 100 yards.

Bill Drill
designed by Bill Wilson (sometimes erroneously credited to Bill Jordan, Bill Rogers)

Range: 7yd
Target: standard IPSC target
Start position: gun in holster, hands at surrender position
Rounds fired: 6

The Bill Drill is intended to improve speed without sacrificing accuracy. The details listed above are the traditional version, but any 6-shot drill done at speed on a single target can achieve the same basic goal.

Six shots are fired as quickly as the shooter can achieve six hits on the target. The drill teaches sight tracking, proper visual reference, recoil management, and trigger manipulation.

One important aspect of the Bill Drill is learning to follow your sights during recoil so that you can fire your next shot as soon as you have an adequate sight picture. Usually, this means pulling the trigger as soon as the front sight comes back down onto the scoring zone without waiting for precise alignment or for the sight to stop movement in the middle of the target. At full speed, the front sight is constantly moving, never coming to rest until the drill is over.

Comp

Just watched a bunch of videos of your sport. Great fun, it seems. LOTS of ammo being used. How many rounds in a full match?
Not my cup of tea but I can see the attraction. My feeling is that a shooter should probably have a good grounding in basic pistol skills before trying a match.

I shoot a lot of sports; 3Gun, Precision Rifle (field style), USPSA, Practical Carbine, Practical Shotgun mostly.

A club level USPSA pistol match is usually about 125 rounds on 5 courses. A local 3Gun is about 150 rounds on 4 or 5 courses. Majors of each run from 250 to 400 rounds.

You are absolutely correct that solid fundamentals are important. We do run a new shooter clinic for pistol and 3Gun and tell them to go slow and stay safe for the first match. People who want to jump in to 3Gun right off the bat...some get DQ'd and don't come back, some just get thumped and don't come back. It is expensive and demanding. That is why I tell folks to shoot rimfire challenge or steel challenge a few times to get the range commands and safety stuff learned in a lower stress environment.

The club I belong to and run matches at had just under 600 members when I joined 4 years ago and had no action shooting except SASS. Our membership is now over 1400 and we have 7 action shooting disciplines. Not a single BOD member shoots the action shooting sports regularly, none have even tried 3Gun. But they have seen the demand and increase in range membership due to the action shooting sports.

The action shooting sports are not for everyone. But for a beginner, I encourage them to try some straight line sports and some action sports and see what they prefer. I am a believer that all trigger time is good time. If that means shooting 250 rounds in under 8 minutes like we do at our MEGA stage match or shooting 5 rounds in an hour to get the best group you can, it is all good.

BTW, my ammo use varies from about 15K-30K a year. I am fortunate to have sponsors to help defray the costs, but the action sports do almost require you to be a re-loader, rich, or both.

Last edited:
well i finally did join the local idpa here in louisiana and shot my first match with them last month i think im hooked i know i have burned up 1200 rounds so far just practicing now im itching to see what the long range, rimfire, and steel challage are all about!

^^^What is is all about. :D

Beats sitting on the couch watching millionaires play on TV, not as expensive as drinking or gambling either.

i couldnt agree more. I also am glad i didnt start with something like 3 gun since it was my first match i found myself completely ignoring shot placement and basically all i was focused on was not doing anything stupid safety is #1 right. i wonder how long it will take me to actually be able to focus on how im shooting and not if my finger is in the trigger guard or making sure i turn a certain way and not another to avoid sweeping everyone...

In general, I find that people settle down and relax after about 3 to 12 matches. That is largely based on the coaching you get and the personality of the person.

I call it "match maturity", which has several stages and levels.

Dry fire helps, as does airsoft and BB guns. My boys have M&P airsoft and I have a M&P BB gun. We do a lot of range safety stuff with the airsoft to build in proper habits of muzzle awareness, trigger control and sight alignment in the back yard.

The best place to start competitive shooting is local. Go to the local matches, pistol, rifle, and or shotgun.

I used to shoot competitive shotgun, skeet and trap. The nearest rifle match was almost 300 miles away and was held three times a year. It's very difficult to be a competitive shooter when you only get to compete after driving 300 miles three times a year. As a trap shooter, I shot every weekend and the longest drive was less than 60 miles, plus the local club was only 5 miles away where I shot three times a week.

it all depends on what you are interested in. Some prefer pistols, others rifles, some prefer run and shoots, others distance.
I shoot C&R matches, Curio and Relics, aka Mil-surps.Rifles must be as issued, iron sights, no additional shooting supports and no scopes allowed, Matches are usually 50 shots,fired from prone, sitting and standing, slow and rapid fire at 200yrds or more.
My rifle of choice is a Swiss 1911, made in 1917, I am not competitive, but I don't do too bad with a 365 average.

Prices for entering/competing

I want to get into competition shooting. I already have a firearm, but would need holster, mag carrier etc. How much does it typically cost to enter handgun competitions?
Also how many magazines are ideal and how many rounds should I expect to fire per match?

Trying to get a ballpark figure for cost to be active in competitions.

Mag carrier $30
3 mags
Holster $60

Match fee for our local match $10 for members, $15 for visitors.

Plan on 100 rounds for a 4-5 stage local match. Always bring extra.

Sorry, late to the party.

A .22 Bullseye match: You need, at a minimum, a .22 handgun, two magazines (if you're shooting an auto), and 90 rounds of ammunition, plus ear/eye protection.

At my club's matches, I've seen everything used from fixed-sight Colt Woodsmans and 4" Taurus-94s to full-blown Volquartsens (Ruger clones) with optical sights.

$

It is important to remember that the biggest expense in firearms match shooting is ammunition....that 100 rounds for the local five stage match...the 90 rounds for the Bullseye match - Practice needs ammo - double or triple that at least and add it on. In the long run, ammo cost dwarfs everything else.

Back