Where is the 22 lr ammo ?@#$%

I work a few days a week at a gunshop. 22 ammo has been put on allocation by some distributors. The store owner I work for was only allowed 2500 rounds of 22 ammo this week. No reason was given to him as to why it's being rationed out to dealers. The big stores will always get theirs first as most of them get theirs factory direct

We're up to our eyes in .22 LR around here in Indiana. Can't think of one single place that is out. (and doesn't have bucket loads)......30-30s on the other hand :(

For the life of me I can't figure out why a non legal cartridge has been completely out, in any weight since firearms season opened in a area that 30-30 lever guns are more common than a F150:rolleyes: COs were pretty busy.

In October and then again in November I bought one of those 1600 round ammo cans of CCI Mini Mag .22LR from my local WaMart. $98 for 1600 seemed like a fair price. I went over the weekend to buy one more and they were gone, along with everything else. All there was left was a couple boxes of CB shorts. I hope it’s a Christmas rush and not another mad rush on ammo like a few years ago. At least I’ve got 3200 rounds. It will get me threw 2013 just fine.

There is plenty of 22LR in my garage. About 30,000 rounds.
Unless your garage is climate controlled, there is about 30,000 rounds of .22LR deteriorating in it. Rimfire doesn't "keep" nearly as well as centerfire, and neither one keeps all that well if it's stored for long periods in either heat or cold.

I used to buy two Federal Bulk-Packs at W-M every month or so. That meant I could shoot one and put one up.

They went up in price from about $15 to about $20 not long ago...and then disappeared. Haven't seen one in any of my local 3-4 W-Ms in the last 3-4 months (North TX, DFW area).

I see a box here and there at local gun shows, selling for from $23 to $35.
Guess I'll shoot up a bit of what I had put up over the last couple years.

Which month? I'm only recounting my experience(s). Can't speak for yours.

DG I just got back to this thread. If you remember after obama was elected there was a huge, ongoing ammo shortage. Nothing to be found anywhere except shot shells with birdshot loads. No primers. brass, bullets or 22 rounds. There were lots of threads for ammo sightings. Bulk 22s were selling at gunshows and gunbroker for $50 a box and sometimes higher. Thats what I was refering to. And it went on for many months.

JohnKSa the 22 ammo was moved to the garage from an indoor closet about two months ago. The temp in the garage doesn't vary much since I am in it all the time.

I shot a couple of BP rifles a year ago and my shooting pouch was stored in the attic where it gets way over a hundred degrees. My capper was full and I also had a half full tin of #11 caps in the pouch. They had been there 6 years. I didn't expect them to work. But they did. Not a single misfire or slow fire. That impressed me. Those should be about the easiest firearm componant to destroy with poor storage.

Also that same day my shooting buddy shot a colt navy 36 cal that had been loaded and stored in the house for over a year. Five shots were full power. One shot was a little weaker. Thats for those who ask about a BP pistol for home defense. They may be better than you have been led to beleive for that job.

My capper was full and I also had a half full tin of #11 caps in the pouch. They had been there 6 years. I didn't expect them to work. But they did. Not a single misfire or slow fire. That impressed me. Those should be about the easiest firearm componant to destroy with poor storage.
That might be evidence that primers will stand up to that kind of storage conditions but based on MSDS comparisons, percussion caps are a different blend of ingredients than primers--so maybe not.

But even if we accepted, for the sake of argument, that primers and percussion caps have similar storage condition tolerances, it's still worth remembering that a complete round of rimfire ammunition consists of more than just priming compound.

I'd be pretty interested to see your test repeated using half a box of .22LR instead of half a tin of percussion caps.

Hello JohnKSa. It wasn't so much a test but just what happened. I forgot the capper and the box of caps in the attic. But I will put a box of 22s in the attic and test them in a year. I will save some and spread the test out. Sounds like a fun experiment.

Back