Where do you keep your pistol in the car?

In my Sidearmor IWB over my right rear pocket. The area I live in has a high rate of stolen vehicles and I do not want to add to the bad guys arsenal.

Car transport

Mostly in a vehicle I keep the gun on my person. If I have to go into places that prohibit CC then I leave the gun in the 4X4 boot shift of my pickup with a couple of rags draped enough to conceal it.

Goes with the machette, tools, rope and other odds and ends on the floor board. My sense of security is helped by the 30 pounds of protective dog that usually occupies the off side seat.

For you folks that don't live in an area where a grumpy looking pickup with a dog is common - move.

just wonderin...

anyone know the particulars on carrying a handgun in automobile in TX ? I'm not liscensed to carry...........yet

You may not keep your handgun "on or about your person" which includes being in the car with you, though you can keep it in your trunk.

That being said, I keep my handgun on me at all times and I have no CHL. I just do it because I can get away with it. Texas cops are pretty lienient about keeping guns.

MrBlonde: In California, it can also be carried in a separate locked box, up front. It cannot be legally carried in a loaded condition, anywhere in the car.
What you could do is carry it in an open box and if you get pulled over or get out of the car, flip the lid closed & locked.

I recommend that no matter what state or what the law, keep it out of sight. Even if you are obeying all laws, it is best to keep it out of sight from both police, thieves & general public. In view can only cause harm & never be of benefit.

For all of you who carry your pistol "on your person", are you knowingly disregarding the car-jacking/stop-light attacks or have you just not thought about it? For those who are utilizing some sort of cross-draw, or shoulder rig that is accessible when driving, this question is not for you. I am speaking to the people who have their trusty (fill in the blank) on their hip in a fancy holster, that is completely unaccessible with a seatbelt fastened. Do yourself a favor, and try a timed response test to see just how "accessible" that firearm is. Maybe one of us will be surprised by the results (perhaps me.)

The holster I use puts the handgun too far back on my hip to be of any use sitting down in a car w/ a seatbelt on. So, I have opted for a console gun. At first, I was nervous about it being stolen if my car was stolen, but then I realized that if my $20+K car was stolen, I wouldn't really worry much more because my $1K gun was in it. So, I sleep well at night. I can draw my handgun out of my console very quickly, much faster than if I had it in any other configuration. It's also beneficial that I don't even have to move anything but my arm to get to it (no body shifting or leaning.)

I guess this is just another example of people's preferences on the "accessibility vs. security" continuum. It probably wouldn't surprise you to know I leave a loaded shotgun propped up beside my bed.

J. Wise

Back