Where do you keep your pistol in the car?

o-town

I live in Florida and often drive with the windows down. Where can I strategically place my gun? Teach me your tactics=}

You better check Florida law before carrying in the car. Don't rely on the opinions of internet users (we are wrong often). ;) They might have certain requirements such as where to put the gun, if it has to be visible, etc....

Always better safe than sorry.

I understand florida law. Gun must be in a bag, glovebox, etc open or closed, or, if the gun is out in the open, it must be in a holster with a strap over the hammer

I have a holster mounted, but removable, on the right side of my parking brake between the bucket seats. If I have to leave the gun in the car, I have a cable lock secured to a driver's seat anchor bolt for quick trips into the Post Office and a padded lockbox in the trunk for longer duration’s.

Depending on how flexible you are (ie: how easy it is for you to reach under your own seat) you may find it convenient to mount a cheap Fobus holster under your seat. It will hold it in place until it is jerked (not pulled) forward and out. There is no topstrap to mess with.

Given that I have a carry licence I can carry concealed. Now, for shot trips ( < 45 min or so) I leave the gun on. For the longer trips I've mounted a holster under my dash right below where the ashtray hinges down. With the gun in the holster and the ashtray down the butt of the gun (which protrudes out) is consealed except for the botton inch or so. However, I can grab the gun (and when I do the ashtray is popped back up into the dash) and draw quickly.

I have a Don Hume holster that I keep my 45 in. I have an arm rest that opens up between the seats in the pickup. My gun is able to sit within that cavity allowing the arm rest to close.

I am also a licensed concealer. If it's not on my hip, I keep it between my seat and center console, for easy accessability, while driving of course. I can also keep it in my center console, since it has a key-lock entry on it.

JJC

Some years back, I saw an ad for what seemed to me to be an ideal solution to the 'car' problem.

As best as I can describe it, it was a holster mounted on a sliding clamp thingie - you put the holster on the bottom front of the driver's seat and held it in place with the clamp that ran front-to-back below the seat itself. You'd end up with a holster that was between your legs and it looked like it'd keep the gun in one place and still be easy to reach just by putting your hand down between your legs.

I didn't describe it all that well buy maybe you get the idea. I never saw one but it looked like a nifty device. I haven't seen the ad for years, though.

Owen

I had a gun in my car, until it got stolen. My main advice would be not to put expensive guns in car. If your worried about carjacking and the such, the best thing is to have the gun on you, offer to exit the car, then pull out your gun when the bad guy is entering your car.

Here goes...

FL statutes Ch. 790:

790.25(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

790.001(17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

There's your answer.:)

Clarification:

Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun...

Remember, carrying and possession are considered two different things. A (fully-loaded) handgun is OK to possess in the vehicle (securely encased) without a CCW, just don't have it on your person.

You might be a gun nut if...

You just bought a car and made sure there was a console area in which to put your gun!

Depending on conditions and which gun, it is in a holster on my person. Either ankle, pocket, xdraw, strong side belt, or shoulder holster.

I agree wholeheartedly that the best place for it is on your person. Less of a chance of leaving it in the car, if TSHTF and you have a need to bail out of the vehicle, you end up taking your piece with you, etc. Ankle holsters, while not usable for all guns and modes of dress, provide decent access to the pistol while seated in a car. Crossdraw also seems good (never tried it), strong side waistband (my prefered mode of carry) can be problematic.

Mike

In addition to my carry piece, I have another in a fobus-type mounted to the underside of the dashboard accesible via the glove compartment. Pop open the glovebox, reach up, and you are armed.

Some advantages I see to this method are that I don't have to constantly remove the pistol from the car as I would if it were located between the seats, etc. Also, should the car be stolen, there is a chance that the thief would not spot the pistol. Finally, passengers are blissfully unaware that they are 3 feet from a handgun (my family -except for my wife- does not know I have a CHL).

Back