Where do you keep your handgun at night?

okie74

Inactive
Trying to decide where to keep the revolver at night. I am currently using a small safe located bedside which requires a key for entry, however I would like easier access in case of an emergency. I have a young son (and another on the way) so safety is a priority - can't leave it in the nightstand. Also, I would prefer not to rely on an electronic safe. I am thinking about a mechanical pistol safe (v-line or fort knox). Anyone else using one or have any other overnight storage recommendations?

i personally live in a very shady place in town and having the accessability is a must, the safe with combination locks by punching buttons save time, the others with the fingerprint locks, but those worry me because electronics can always fail and i don't want that personally. i'm a light sleeper, so i tend to keep it out on the nightstand as long as i'm awake and place it in the pushbutton safe before i turn in. having kids and needing accessability is a tough one but you can find what works for you, the pushbutton safes offer me speed but comfortability of keeping my firearms secured while im asleep or at work.

No kids...So:

In the nightstands on both sides of the bed. My .357 magnum and her .38 special. Into the safe with the long guns when we leave for work. Unloaded 12 GA in hidden the media room with shells stashed nearby, JIC. Once the rugrats come we'll have to buy two of those fingerprint safes for the pistols and move the shotty to the safe.

I once read an article by Massad Ayoob that at first sounded like a bit of overkill, but was founded in a lot of common sense.

He stated that he had a vest he kept in his bedroom. It contained a firearm and spare magazines, but also things like a flashlight, shooting glasses, etc.

In other words, he thought out the aspects of a late night home invasion, and then without the pressure of an immediate visceral response, calmly chose implements that would help on such an attack.

I think he even made mention of the responding police finding him in pajamas and his handgun vest.

Taken realistically, the idea has merit. I don't think you should sleep with an AK magazine duct taped to your thigh, but a nightstand drawer with necessary items might be a very good idea.

For example, instead of fumbling for a light, a dedicated SureFire E1e with long term storage A123 batteries would sure help. Perhaps a spare pair of your prescription eyeglasses, or a pair of flip-fllops. In other words, think throught the attack.

@ tourist, ROTFLMAO, an AK magazine duct taped to your thigh, i can just picture that one, laughed out loud literally and had to explain to non-gun enthusiasts why that was so funny, they didn't get it but i continued to laugh none the less.

I'd recommend a Gunvault. It's electronic, but with a key backup. Change the batteries out when you change your clocks (along with your smoke detector batteries) and I see very little reason for concern. Good luck.

My choice is a small electronic keypad safe. I don't want to fumble with a key and I don't want to risk losing the key or someone being able to find the key and gain easy entry to it.

If there were no kids in the house, it would be on top of the nightstand or in the nightstand drawer during the night, but unfortunately that is not a (safe) option for us.

Loaded 20 gauge by my bedroom door if I have to get up but my 357 and flash light is on my bedside table. Everything else is put away.

I'm a light sleeper, and don't have a problem waking, fully awake. I have a Bookcase Headboard, and my CCW and Flashlight comes out of their holsters and into the headboard at night. They go back on by belt when I dress in the morning.

I don't think you should sleep with an AK magazine duct taped to your thigh, but a nightstand drawer with necessary items might be a very good idea.
This made me think of the gun nut's version of a nicotein patch. :D

I don't have rugrats, so i keep the Mossy pump12 loaded & between the bed & the bedside table. I have gone back & forth on the loaded chamber issue with the shotty, currently empty chamber, loaded tube, safety off. I have rambunctious and large cats that make me hesitant to go loaded chamber & safety off. I keep my XD45 in a drawer that is on the other side of the bed & within reach, with a loaded mag in & another beside it.

If i was in your spot, i would consider using an open safe after bedtime or maybe a holster mounted to the back of the headboard, with everything getting locked away when i awakened.

I have a quick-access safe in my bedroom closet which houses my 2 choices of carry guns. Each night, when I take my gun off, I open the safe and put the gun back in there.

If I am feeling lazy, I may just lay the gun on my desk in my bedroom for the night. I live alone, so I don't have to worry about little fingers getting a hold on it, and if I need to get a gun in the middle of the night and forget its not in the safe (where I rush to if need be) my second gun is in there and ready to go, so I don't need to waste time going across the room to get the gun on the desk, or look around if I am confused in my half-asleep state.

Crime in SA is rampant, with home invasions that result in murder amongst the highest, so I take no chances.

On the floor right next to the bed. exactly in the same place each and every night, so I do not have to think if I want to reach for it.

On the nightstad there are my phone, torch and spare mags.
Brgds,
Danny

At night next to me in a stack-on electronic safe unlocked. If I leave the room I lock it because I have kids. The safe has a key for back up if the battery fails.

My kids are grown and almost grown so my pistol sleeps on top of a stack of books beside the bed. If the kids were still young I might get one of those small keypad safes. But then again I might not since we've always locked the bedroom door. That's not to keep the kids out but rather as an extra layer of defense kinda like locking the car once we get in it.

Okie, . . . most beds have frames that are a tad wider than the box springs resting in them. You can hang a loose holster with a metal clip on it onto that metal frame, . . . barrel pointing down, . . . between your night stand and your bed as one suggestion.

At the first sound, your hand slides over the edge of the bed, . . . and you have your weapon, . . . and if you pull the night stand close enough, . . . your hand will go down there, . . . where even skinny junior can't get without waking you up.

One lady I knew years ago, . . . laid her .25 down in that recess, . . . butt up. I didn't like it, . . . but it was her decision.

May God bless,
Dwight

Massad Ayoob . . . had a vest he kept in his bedroom. It contained a firearm and spare magazines, but also things like a flashlight, shooting glasses, etc.

I am pretty sure I remember our pal Pax saying she had a fanny pack set up the same way. And if I recall correctly, she also had a house key attached to a glow-stick so she could toss a house key out the window to responding LEOs.

OP was being a good dad and looking for a way to store his revolver with ready access but away from his young son. The pistol box I have is no longer made (my youngest is 21), so I can't advise him, but maybe someone who has made a more recent purchase can chime in for him?

I'm interested in the discussion as well, because I might have to be thinking about keeping grandchildren safe before too much longer, and I might want to upgrade. How does the TFL gang like GunVault?

Keep my 40 M&P on the nightstand. I am a very light sleeper and rarely get more than four hours per evening. Chances are that I would hear any bad guy enter my home.

My choice is a small electronic keypad safe.

Same here (for a .38), and my nightstand always has my glasses and a blindingly bright flashlight. No point trying to shoot what you can't see. I also have a .45 tucked away up high where only I can reach it in the center of the house in case of a daytime event when there's no time to run for the bedroom.

my bed is about 3 feet from one of the closet doors (left slid open
a little at bedtime)

the Smith Revolver (686P) is on the first shelf (about 5' above the floor)
during sleeping hours. It is with me when awake.

It is holstered and laying on the shelf under a folded up pair of sweat
pants.

I have to simply stand up, reach and grab.

A mossberg 500 is in the corner of the closet behind a couple
of sport coats.

Back