Where do they hide?

I've found that the quickest and surest way to find a lost item is to purchase a replacement.

I call that the "like finds like" effect, and while not 100% the number is pretty high. Not certain, but it seems like if the house hob /gremlin / cat?? can't get any more entertainment by depriving you of it, they often give it back...
:D:rolleyes:

Yep.
Replacements often do the trick.

Or... telling someone what a PITA something is being, or that you've given up on finding whatever it may be.

This very morning, my wife and I spent a combined four hours looking for our son's shin guards, for his last soccer game tonight. I finally sent her a message after she had left for work: "They're gone. Can't find them. Even looked in the freezers."

Turned around, tripped over the girls' toy box, and out poked the end of one of my son's shin guards...

A couple months back, I spent over 4.5 hours trying to get the oil pump shaft lined up just perfectly, so a new distributor would drop into the engine in my Nova. Finally sent a bit of a text message rant to one (or two?) of my brothers, complaining about how stupidly (and unnecessarily) tight the tolerances were on the new distributor gear and shaft.
Put the phone down, picked up the distributor, gave the oil pump shaft a random spin with a priming tool, and plunk! Dropped right in. :rolleyes:

When I got home I took the gun apart to clean/oil
That's when most problems occur.

It's also why most people shouldn't be taking guns apart to clean them until it's absolutely necessary.

With spray solvents and compressed air one can go for years without needing to "take apart" any gun beyond a typical field stripping, and even that's not needed most of the time.

I've ordered parts from Ruger. Sometimes they will ship, sometimes they want to install the part. They would probably ship the spring and probably at no cost. Call them 1st.

I do my gun work on the kitchen table and we have dark blue, short pile carpet, so anything black or blue disappears. While I work, my old cat sits next to me. If something flies off, he chases it and puts his nose right on it, for a second, till he knows it's not something to eat, then walks away. So I just watch him, he's my parts pointer. He spots anything new on the floor. Has saved me countless minutes of searching. I'm sure a dog could be equally useful.

Great example of why not to get all OCD about cleaning guns. No reason to take it completely apart unless something is broken.
I don't always see eye to eye with Cheapshooter regarding hanging onto guns,,,but,,,I'm 100% with him on this. ;).

Unless the gun took a dip in a river, why take it down so far?

I have not read all the responses yet, but good suggestions so far.
If someone else suggested this, sorry. Disassemble your revolver inside a large plastic bag. That way is something takes off it can't go far.

I built a work surface covered with white Contact Paper, have a good supply of magnets and and going to get some magnetic strips with adhesive backing to put long the edges.
Yes, having a spare-or two-ensure that you will never lose anything.

There is only one way to avoid this sort of thing. When disassembling things with small parts; particularly springs take the follwing steps:
Buy two identical fiberglass or plasitic bathtubs.
Tape the drain holes shut.
Put the part you're working on, a flashlight, and any necessary tools into one of the tubs.
Remove all clothing and get in.
Now have an assistant place the other tub upside-down on top of the one you and the parts are in, and tape around the seam.
You're all set! Parts have nowhere (well, almost nowhere) to go.
:D

I'm pretty sure if I completely searched and cleaned my toy room I could build a Smith Model 10 out of all the parts I'd find.

Forensics

In law enforcement forensics they use lights set at different angles to find evidence, oblique, etc. Also, try black lights as these show all kinds of stuff naked to the eye in daylight. Heat sensing infra red will zero in on items that are of a different heat signature from the surrounding environment.

Having studied law enforcement and forensics, this is what the guys with the badge use to find evidence that the criminals try to hide. Should work for those pesky gun springs that want to escape from us and live outside the gun.

Back