Where did the bullet go ?

I have a Savage Varmint that was shooting good, then got a bit off, someback and forth.

At the range, ooops, time to make a dinner date, I will do the last 5 shot, get my target.

Dang I must be doing good, one holed.

Hmmm, get to target only one hole, I am not that good I didn't scrape the edges.

Ok, next time.

At 108 yds (just past the 100 yd line because) and on here, one 2.5 inches ways, next one right in the first one and around it goes.

My control rifle (not as good a stock or scope) shooting 5/8 or 3/4, same ammo, worked up before and COAL adjust to each gun.

My take is scope but could be the stock. Either way its not me. Will change out scope and see.

Obviously it's always fashionable to blame the shooter, and that of course may be the case. But we're talking about what, a 15 MOA spread here? When shooting through a high-magnification scope?

I've seen shooters that bad, but mostly only completely new ones.

Likewise, factory ammo is unlikely to be THAT bad.

I would be looking at the gun and whether everything is tight.

You were hitting random cicadas about halfway down range and getting deflection.

Should have been really obvious.

Possibly shooting some shots close enough together for heat build up

X 2 perhaps. Aside from bedding/fitment issues, I would also check mount to rifle, rings to mount, and scope to rings connections to be sure they're tight.

Unlikely IMO that you're going to have an issue with match grade ammo. The ammunition has no idea as to the distance the bullet's going to travel when you pull the trigger- if the rifle doesn't "like" that particular bullet/load, it will be evident at all ranges.

I've bought some really bad ammo from stores--there's no telling how often it's been messed with and/or conditions changed.

I know in my case at that range it is almost always on me--especially if other strings the same day were pretty good.

Otherwise--I agree with asking the wife--she's always right, even for stuff you haven't asked yet. ; )

could be some low life did some sticky finger swapping of high dollar match grade ammo into a box of low end, same brand ammo. :eek:

I've never seen that in ammo, but I have been on the loosing end of purchases at a couple home improvement stores before.

Back