Where did the bullet go ?

jhinalabama

So i'm at the range getting some trigger time. I normally load my ammo but today i was trying out some store bought stuff. I'm shooting a rem 700 tac. chambered in 308 win. with a custom stock and a vortex viper 6x24x50. This ammo i'm shooting is a match grade and has won a lot of competitions so I wanted to try it out. I'm shooting 200yds and put together a really nice 10 shot string i'm thinking i like this ammo then i bump out to 300yds and i have a nice 3 shot group going when the 4 shot hits like 16" high and right :confused: then 5 and 6 shot right back on the group then 7 shot hits like 14" low left :confused: shot 8 and 9 back on the group shot 10 never hit the target :confused:... After that I bump out to 600yds and put down a 10 shot string that didn't look to bad. With all that being said my question is what could have made those 3 shots that far off. Any thoughts ?

Well I can't say for sure what happened. However, if this had happened to ME, I would suspect a problem with the nut behind the trigger.:D

Did you maybe sneeze just as you pulled the trigger? That's usually what I blame those shots on. Seriously though, I'd be suspecting the ammo. Even match grade ammo can have a bad lot.

I could theorize, but I also think it may be due to a lot tension on that "nut behind the trigger". It doesn't take a lot to jerk a shot at 300+ yards. ;)

Jim

I know we all have those what the hell was that shot when you know you pulled it. But normal for me is shooting a sub moa group and then i might pull one like 2".. But I have had dud rounds that hit the dirt but never flyers like i saw today.:confused:

Possibly shooting some shots close enough together for heat build up to cause or eliminate a tight spot in the bedding or stock, or something along those lines?

jhinalabama,

If you've shot the rifle a lot and never experienced flyers like you describe,
the obvious change you made is the new ammo.

I'd test that factory ammo and your normal reloads together at the next possible trip to the range.
Set it up similar to the shooting you describe in OP.
Your looking for a situation that could produce similar flyers with either loads.

I've experienced some one really poor quality control example with factory match rifle ammo!

Bought 10 boxes, All very good but ONE BOX!!!
That box chroned 200 fps difference from cartridges on one end of the box to the other end,
such that it ramped up smoothly in order packed with the ones in between.
Go figure!?

Guess the point I'm making - You personally do the quality control of your reloads, But have no idea what when into any particular box of factory ammo you purchase.

Last edited:
Random off target impacts are more likely operator error than equipment/ammo issues. Usually, once a scope goes haywire or the bore gets fouled beyond accuracy, there's no coming back. A hot barrel that starts throwing flyers doesn't magically cool down while you continue to shoot.
There's no way to know about the ammo once that particular round has been fired so just (?????????).
I see people who are decent shots "YIP" once in a while. A guy was here last week to burn some ammo and was doing fairly well for a "once in a blue moon" shooter. About 1/2 way through a mag with the 22/45 pistol, I saw a bullet hit 2' left and 1' high. He knew what he'd done and stopped to "re-calibrate" before finishing the string.
I was once in a place where a "YIP" could get you seriously messed up and learned to control that sort of quirk.

Not having watched you shoot, this is a WAG based on the target as you described.

nice 3 shot group going when the 4 shot hits like 16" high and right

This would normally be poor follow through. Meaning the rifle was muscled to get the sight alignment, and on the 4th shot, you relaxed too soon, if right handed this would cause the bullet to go high left.

then 5 and 6 shot right back on the group then 7 shot hits like 14" low left

This is normally caused by worrying about the 4 shot, and/or getting close to the end of your group and you rushed to see the shot after firing.

The "missing shot" I would assume was like the 7th shot but more profound.

Like I said, this is a guess based on common mistakes I've noticed while coaching the AK NG Rifle team and running CMP GSM Clinics.

Only a coach watching you shoot can give the correct answer the question. But you can tell a lot about studying the target after firing a string.

I don't think that 14" and 16" flyers are the shooter's fault. Nobody is that bad. And I've seen barrels walk when hot, but not that bad. I'd say it was the scope, loose scope mounts, or the ammo.

Have you checked your optics? Are they tight and properly placed? Is your barrel properly mounted on the rifle?
This are the first questions.
Were you sitting at a bench? Standing? Do you have a bipod? If yes was it placed over a concrete surface?
Was it an issue yust with this ammo?

I had the same type thing happen. I will NOT say whose match bullets it was because the company has always treated me well. Everyone has a bad lot every now and again. I had groups at 1k that simply had 1 or two shots off paper with the remaining 8 or 9 grouping quite well. Long story short, weighed bullets. About 10% of the bullets weighed considerably light. My guess is someway, they had voids in the lead. Threw the odd weight bullets out and it was business as usual.

The ammo went from the store shelf to the firing line within 30 min. The shooting position was prone on a midway competition mat laid on concrete. The optics are torqued and loctited. Now if we could get some locktite on that nut behind the trigger..;)

Back