Where can I pick up nice imitation pearl grips or fake Ivory grips?

Genuine pearl grips were seldom, if ever backed with another material. Jay Scott FAKE pearl grips were laminated over a more resilient plastic to keep them from cracking. Perhaps this is where the "backing" info came from.
MOP is brittle, but fairly strong. The "note" on the link above simply absolves the seller of replacement liability. MOP is one of the most beautiful natural handle materials, Patton notwithstanding.
Many older Colts and S&Ws (and lesser brands) were offered with deluxe pearl grips-none backed. The reason MOP is not seen as often is that shells large enough for grips are much more difficult to obtain today.
Again, Los- I post from genuine experience, not reading on the Internet.

Rifleman-
The Jantz (actually made by Masecraft) imitation ivory looks really good and works easily, but it is much more fragile than real pearl or ivory. I have worked extensively with all of them.

Genuine pearl grips were seldom, if ever backed with another material.

I know the ones on that Colt aren't. They feel heavy and solid actually. You can see growth rings, and feel the rough texture on the backside. No idea who made them, or how old they are, but I doubt they came on the gun.

I probably would never have bought that gun, but my wife saw those grips and fell in love with it. It is very elegant. I'll bet it really looked sharp "back in the day" before the finish got scratched up and all.

H&R Revolver

I know this is an older thread, but hope someone can help. My Wife inherited her Grandfather's old H&R a 2nd Model, 3rd Variation "PREMIER", small frame .22 rim fire revolver. It is a nickeled 6" barrel gun. It had factory MOP grips, but got dropped, and one of the panels shattered. I have looked for replacements, but they are very rare. I am now looking for someone that might make a replacement panel for me. I am simply not set up to do this, and have never worked MOP. I am sure that what ever I did would end up looking like the North end of a South bound dog. Any suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I CAN make your replacement grip, but by the time you purchase a piece of pearl large enough (if you can even find it) and pay my labor rates, I doubt you would be interested.

if you had exact measurements, I may have a spare MOP grip, as I collect those guns, & have a small bin drawer full of unmarked MOP grips...

BTW... most of what I have shot in pearl grips, have been in 32 & 38 S&W, but they are definitely shootable, definitely not backed by anything, ( in fact they often have some space behind them from the natural curvature of the shells they are made from...

BTW #2... I have taken & reshaped ( unfortunately, probably just the grips that RMBRAD is looking for... the way things go ) non fitting pearl grips, to fit an old S&W 32 "lemon squeezer" that didn't have the correct grip panels when I bought it, they were pretty easy to re-shape, & the material actually seems pretty easy to work with...

I also picked up a perfect set of original S&W medallion pearls about a year or two ago on E-Bay... that fit one of my S&W top break 38's... :) IMO, on a blued gun, the pearls look most awesome... I do see them a lot on nickel guns, & I'd prefer darker grips on the nickel guns... ( or maybe a set of original S&W "red" grips on a nickel S&W :) ) so some of my extras might have been removed from some of my antique nickel guns, that have been replaced with original gutta percha

Last edited:
Ajax Grips?....

I checked the Ajax Grips site and it had a few products on it.
It looked fine to me.
Ivory/ivory type handgun grips look cool but Im not sure how practical they are.
Retired Texas Ranger & former DPS trooper Joquin Jackson wrote in One Ranger that ivory pistol grips can be slippery.

The did look wicked on actor Al Pachino's Colt Officer's Model in the cop thriller; Heat(1995). www.imfdb.org :D

Magnum Wheel Man: I will send you an email with a picture of the good panel. I don't know what measurements you will need.

This gun was my Wife's Grandfather's gun. This has sentimental value for her so I am trying to get it back in shape. I suspect that it was purchased new, or with very little use. It is surprisingly tight for it's age, and the nickel isn't too bad.

Back