Where can I pick up nice imitation pearl grips or fake Ivory grips?

Uzi4u2

Looking for a manufacturer of custom grips. I used to get my grips from Ajax grip company but I am unable to find them online. If you know where they are currently at please let me know. I am looking for imitation pearl grips or Ivory grips for a Beretta or for a Detonic. Thanks

You know what Patton said about pearl grips?

Tastes vary, but when I see plastic grips on a gun, I just think "Oh, that guy has plastic grips on an otherwise nice gun..."

There's some beautiful burl grips around that are actually classy and look nice.

Gun shops usually have a box of plastic grips under the counter. They sometimes take real ugly New Orleans pimp grips off of handguns and stash them so the gun will sell.

Edit: sorry, that was an incomplete post. In among the ugly bits a guy can sometimes find fake ivory ot pearl stuff for the nicer guns. I have found fake stags several times and picked them up for friends. I found REAL stags twice for a steal.

Last edited:
Try Don Collins first... http://www.collinscraftgrips.com/
He doesn't list Beretta or Detonics, but could probably make them for you.
He has corian grips in white and "aged" yellow, plus some very nice wood grips. He also works with Micarta, dymondwood, maple, walnut, etc.

Alumagrips has their aluminum grips for the Beretta. These work well. I have a set on my 1911.

Gungrips.net will add a logo of your choice to Aluma grips. They also laser-etch polymer "ivory" grips for the Beretta as well as do logos on wood and "pearlite" grips.

Finding grips for the Detonics will be a challenge. They were never a huge seller and you'll likely have to inquire of each grip maker how much they will charge.

Ebay and Gunbroker. Also, there's usually a grip-guy at the gunshows I attend. Most probably have one of these folks.

Authentic Pearl grips/stocks would not likely survive the first discharge.

I don't know. These have held up for some time I think. I admit, I don't know how long though. I also admit that the Colt is a 32, which isn't noted for it's wrist shattering recoil, but I have fired it a few times.

100_0067.jpg

Note: There is a small chunk broken out of the bottom of the grip, but the pistol is almost 100 years old, so it may have been banged around a bit.

My understanding is that Mother of Pearl grips that were done in years gone by were not SOLID MoP, they were laminated onto some other backing material, making them a lot stronger.

Sometimes the situation is just yelling at you to pick up a new hobby.
Git some faux ivory and make yer own.
Go to Jantz supply for the material.
Not hard and you will enjoy the project.

Back