where can I learn?

You didn't really say what kind of shooting you were interested in. There are so many different forms of shooting that the basics for one may not be the basics for all.

I noticed LAK suggested several books by Jeff Cooper, I bought a book in the 70's by him and found the more experience I gained the more he was off base. And reading various articles of his during the years sort of biased my opinion of him. However, I have also read entire books and found one sentence that changed my perspective which to me made it worthwhile. I will try and read some of his works. Although I will try and borrow them before buying. The best rifle book for beginner or experienced shooter, in my opinion, is the 'U.S.M.C. Sniping' manual. The little red book ISBN 0-87947-420-3.

As for suggesting a firearm, if you've read many threads here you have probably noticed a lot of varying opinions. It is due to personal likes and dis-likes, which you will eventually use to form an opinion of your own. Plus the wepons you should choose will depend also on what type of shooting you want to persue. This I understand will be difficult from your description of the circumstances where you live. It is hard to tell the knowledgable from the know it alls, as I have heard some really stupid things in gun stores, from both sides of the counter. If you are totally unfamilliar with firearms you may want to start with .22s, they allow you to learn the basics of shooting without having to deal with recoil. As for a rifle try a bolt action with a composite stock. Semi-autos are popular but the bolt moving back and forth isn't good for a beginner trying to learn how to shoot. The same for handguns, try a revolver or even single shot first.

As for the best magazines to read... Well I would like to let you know what I really think, but since I don't want to get thrown out of here. Try these if they are still around: OUI, Penthouse, Cherri etc. etc. At least they may teach you some proper breathing techniques.

Back