When to start competing?

dsd

Inactive
All,

I have recently started shooting again (after a decade+ away). I never really competed but I may like to.

Right now, I am just getting into form. Getting my gear squared away and working on my skills.

Question is, when should I start to think about entering competition (Probably bullseye or the like). I am 36, I don't want to embarrass myself but don't mind finishing a competent dead last.

Thoughts?

Thanks all!
dsd

Find out the minimum gear, acquire that, and show up. Do not wait. The perfect kit is not necessary to start.

They know you are new, be safe, be open to learn, you will be welcome.

Question is, when should I start to think about entering competition

Right NOW. The next match.

I don't want to embarrass myself but don't mind finishing a competent dead last.

You wont, pay attention to the safety briefing and you'll be fine. Call the guy putting on the match or see him just before the match starts and tell him you're new.

He and other "older" shooters will make sure you get started right and safe.
Don't buy a bunch of stuff until you find out what you need. Get guidance from the older shooters (not age but in experience).

People that shoot in matches want new shooters, that's the future of shooting sports. They are going to go out of their way to make sure you have an enjoyable and safe experience. THEY WANT YOU TO COME BACK and they want you to bring your friends.

Everyone goes to their "FIRST" Match.

Every time I go to a different type match or a new (to me) club three things happen.

I learn a lot
I have fun
I meet great people

I can pretty much guarantee the above three things are going to happen.

Don't wait, go now. As long as you are safe, you wont embarrass yourself.

Don't let perception keep you away from competitions. If you know how to handle your gun safely and have the very minimum of needed equipment you are ready to show up and start learning.

I don't shoot bullseye but the events I do shoot there are plenty of beginners and everyone is very welcoming to them. Finishing dead last doesn't really matter as long as you are safe and have fun.

+1 to kraigwy's post.
But alternatively if you are still apprehensive at least go to an event and watch. Ask questions and see what equipment other shooters have. Make it known that you are interested in trying the game. Other shooters will likely fall over each other to help.

Thanks all for the advice and courage.

I found an NRA .22 Conventional Match that is pretty close to me. I sent the organizer a note and was invited to come down.

Since my .22's are still being serviced, I think I will head down and watch. See how others do things and what it's like.

Hopefully, everything will be ready (guns and me) to take part by the summer :-)

Again, thanks and I am very excited.

-dsd

Since my .22's are still being serviced, I think I will head down and watch. See how others do things and what it's like.
Take your centerfire gun(s) and go shoot the centerfire portion of the match. Odds are that someone will lend you a rimfire to finish the match, but even if they don't, you've at least started.
Hopefully, everything will be ready (guns and me) to take part by the summer :-)
You're ready now. You have everything you need to get started even if you can't shoot the rimfire portion of the match. Go shoot. Have fun. Don't put it off any longer.

Do it now!
Remember, finishing DAL gives you tons of room for improvement. Improving in a competitive environment will help your scores soar.

Since my .22's are still being serviced,

What is involved there?
I have never had a gun "serviced" in the same sense as taking my car to the shop. I shoot them, I clean them, I shoot some more. Repair if necessary, modify or upgrade as the urge strikes me, but "service?" No.

Get one back from where ever it is and GO SHOOTING.

What is involved there?
I have never had a gun "serviced" in the same sense as taking my car to the shop. I shoot them, I clean them, I shoot some more. Repair if necessary, modify or upgrade as the urge strikes me, but "service?" No.

Get one back from where ever it is and GO SHOOTING.

I am waiting on some parts. Neither of my 22s are feeding consistently.

NOW

the worst thing that gun shows do on tv is show the cream of the crop shooters,going faster than greased lightning.It really can intimidate shooters who would like to try comp but feel they'll never be that good.

In all likelyhood,you won't. so what? IT'S FUN to get out their with other shooters and send lead downrange !!

Nobody cares how fast or slow you shoot. If they did I"d be history by now,lol.

I"ve just discovered steel plate matches with my 10-22,and trying my hand at IPSC.; this along with cowboy action has upped my bullet purchases SIGNIFICANTLY . :)

the sooner u get out there with even minimal gear,the sooner the gun begins !

Yeah, don't wait. I joined USPSA in 1994, then fiddled around with my gear, always thought I needed more practice, etc., and so didn't shoot a match until 1997. By the Summer of '98, I was shooting a match every weekend, and kicking myself that I'd wasted three years!

...I was shooting a match every weekend, and kicking myself that I'd wasted three years!
That's a pretty common scenario. Too many newbies think they need fancier gear and/or more practice to begin comp shooting.

Check with local ranges. Many of them have organizations that hold regular matches using their facilities.

Check the NRA's regional report for your area. Local matches are often reported there.

Post a question here with your area in the title asking about matches in that area.

now

Do it now. Matches are the best practices you can have.
The NRA monthly "Shooting Sports" magazine - available online - has a list of every registered match across the country in just about every shooting discipline.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I competed today. Scored dead last. In fact, I was almost half of the guy above me :-)

Learned a ton. Had fun. Look forward to correcting some hardware issues and practicing!

Congrats for competing DSD! Your next match will be easier, and it sounds like you've already learned from it what you need to do to place higher in your next. And if not, have more fun! This is what these sports are primarily for, having fun :D

Congratulations on taking the leap!

Watch, listen, ask questions and practice. Dryfiring is excellent practice for bullseye--check your manuals to make sure your guns are approved for it.

Your scores will improve more rapidly than you think.

Ah! You too dsd?! I'm starting soon too. Got myself a Glock 34 for mine. I feel like a child in his first day back at school. I mean I go shooting every 2 weeks at least but never competed before. lol Can't wait! My uncles 34 is extremely tuned and he wants to tune mine as well..I think I want to try it factory first..Well, changing the sights soon. They're on the way. But other than that...Yeah..

What do you guys think? Should I let him tune mine?

Back