When the Nagants are all bought up,,,

What cost $30 in 1955 would cost $241.48 in 2010.

That's what I was gonna say. Once you adjust for inflation guns are actually a good buy compared to the past. Once the MN's are gone you're just gonna have to look to the used sporter market for deals like we had in the past. Personally, a just about any used $250 sporter is a better value than even the cheapest MN's IMO and used bolt action .223's are pretty easy to come buy if cheap ammo is a concern. Better yet, buy him a .22lr.

Last edited:
Hello L_Killkenny,,,

Better yet, buy him a .22lr.

Funny you should mention that,,,
For his 16th birthday he got an old Marlin bolt with a 49 cent 2X scope.

The kid can stand offhand and pop a 3" steel spinner almost every shot at 50 yards.

I wish I could buy him something like a Savage Axis or a Stevens 200,,,
But I really don't want to spend that much of my cash,,,
Also I think it might embarrass the parents a bit.

They are good friends and they know I like to play Uncle,,,
But I think there is a line that could be crossed.

The Evil Pawn Shop Guy said he'll be getting some $109.00 Nagants in very soon,,,
I think I'll stick with that plan and a couple of boxes of ammo.

Thanks gentlemen,,,
It was an interesting thread. :)

Aarond

Those silver quarters you were saving back in 1960 to buy a $40 rifle are now worth almost $5. I think the $150 Mosins are a lot cheaper than what you were paying then.

I think the $150 Mosins are a lot cheaper than what you were paying then.

But then again back then it wasn't Mosins. It was springfields, enfields, mausers, etc. All much better guns than the 2x4.

Somewhat off topic, but where do you guys normally buy your 7.62x54 ammo locally? I looked everywhere (BassPro, Dick's, Walmart) and didn't find any. I know they sell them bulk online, but wanted to see if any local stores had them. Thanks.

Look to your mom and pops. I haven't had luck finding the ammo at any major retailer, but I can find it in pounds at Maxxon in Des Plaines, a short ride from Chicago where I live. I feel that I have seen boxes of Tula or Wolf in 54r, but have yet to see it stocked anywhere.

Everything goes in a circle. All those junk .32 and .38 revolvers that everyone has a shoe box full of may be the new collector, who knows?

Gunplummer, I sure hope you're right. I have a Police Positive in .32 I'd love to see working again, but not when it costs hundreds of dollars on the work!

I paid $110 for my mosin (long one, forget model number the most common one) and $185 for my M44

I see the regular one is now $150+ and the other $300ish! lol maybe I should go get another regular one, I just saw one at the gun show for $109.99.

Somewhat off topic, but where do you guys normally buy your 7.62x54 ammo locally? I looked everywhere (BassPro, Dick's, Walmart) and didn't find any. I know they sell them bulk online, but wanted to see if any local stores had them. Thanks.
LGS had a 2 boxs so I bought one box. The other I ordered from CTD for $99.99

Gun store down the road like 30mins away has 20x+ stacks of sealed 2x in a pack.

You can find them at gun shows, sealed cans, or silver bear blue box.

Last edited:
If the Russian surplus stores ever actually open up we will see a flood of rifles none preceding it.
Yugoslavia is a rather small country and look at what their SKS's have done. Just imagine if all the Russians were released.

I was glancing at an article in a 1960 gun magazine about converting a Swiss rifle to .30-30 because of the lack of ammunition (might have been an older rifle, not a K-31). So I'd have to say a limiting factor in the future would be the ammunition. That is, ammunition at a price you're willing to pay. Twenty years ago, I think the only ammunition available in 7.62x54r was from Norma and it was expensive. All Norma ammunition is expensive.

There seems to be an almost inexhaustible supply of bolt actions available and that which is already here will be coming back on the market sooner or later. It's hard to believe that when I bought my 1949 FN rifle, the .308 Ishapore Lee-Enfields rifles had yet to be manufactured.

Regarding the inflation factor, remember that the prices of everything does not go up the same degree. When I bought my new Browning Hi-Power in 1971, a box of new factory made American 9mm ammunition was $5. The pistol was $105. I also bought an H&R .45-70 at the same store but I don't remember what it cost. I only remember I had trouble paying for them.

If Russia had a 100 pounds of guns they haven't even let out half an once. (I do realize that they have a lot more than 100 pounds of guns for all you smartbutts out there:D) so no I don't expect the sks's and mosins to ever fully dry up. Eventually they'll need money to fund some pointless war against a country that nobody has ever heard of and the'll sell those guns off right quick.

Everytime I think the mosin's are drying up, another batch surfaces.

I guess some day the supply will dry up but it won't happen any time soon.

Back