When does situational awareness become paranoia?

Paranoia probably kicks in at the point your sharing the soap with your companion. (*The firearm-this isn't one of those kind of forums).

Really, sometimes it seems the level to which some seemingly need to carry, goes a bit too far. Unfortunately, I've ended up living in some very violent places, but never could justify a 24/7 arming. To some degree, having appropriate moments where one doesn't have to carry a weapon might be a necessary pyschological relief. The bloody thing is a responsibility (and a very heavy one should it need to be used, or in some cases, even drawn). Plus, in a basic sense, a physical nuisance to carry and conceal.
Mayhaps the level of paranoia is reached when a realistic assessment of the likelyhood of requiring a weapon, is lost. Or when the balance between what you can carry, and what's actually practical is also diffused.

when it damages you

If you find that your fear is hurting your life then it is to far.

I have heard people here talk about right or wrong responses to situations. For example if you handled a situation the same way armed or unarmed it was probably done correctly. The idea being that the firearm is the last resort to be used when all else fails.

If your life is worse off then it was before there might be an issue that needs to be dealt with. Problem is with these stupid laws if you seek assistance for that issue, well I just dont want to say it out loud but most of you know what I am refering to.

Lets put it this way. The point of getting the ccw and carrying in my mind is to make my life better. It gives me a better chance in a life or death confrentation. It is not to make me afraid of every corner or individual/group out there in the real world.

I dont want it to make my life worse (I have a job that takes care of that part...). I try not to introduce things to my life/family that makes things worse.

I hope that you resolve what needs to be fixed and that your life is happy. Remember, not everybody is a threat. Except that guy over there, the one with the beady eyes and dark hat. He has been following me every day... Oh wait that is just the spy guy from Mad magazine...

Well, just last fall I was questioning my decision to carry during all waking hours (live out in the country and work at home so that is possible).

Then in December we had a prowler in our yard one morning, who was apparently stalking my teenage daughters.

So mentally, I am back to living in "Indian Country" again.

I'm not sure that will ever change now...

You're getting used to a new awareness, a new way of thinking about your place in the world and your surroundings, just like you're getting used to the weight of the gun. This is totally normal. Eventually this heightened awareness ('condition yellow' is what it's called) becomes very natural and will no longer affect you in the unnerving way that it is now.

The gun is sort of a catalyst helping to create this change in your way of looking at the world, it's weird now but you just need to carry for a while to see that nothing has changed but the fact that you have a gun and your perception.

Just remember that you're in no more danger now than you ever were, you just have your eyes open so it seems worse. This actually means that your potential for a nasty encounter is far far less than it was as your dormant danger radar is finally switched on and you will be able to detect potential bad situations more quickly than you used to. The surge of paranoia you are experiencing is just your mind getting used to this new tool (awareness/'danger radar') that it has not used before.

Not only is your ability to avoid danger now significantly improved, if an encounter becomes unavoidable, you are finally in a position to have an option to save yourself or others if need be. Once you realize this and accept it, you should start to relax. You're not in more danger, you are in less danger. The threats in your neighboorhood are diminished due to the fact that you are looking less like food now than you did. This is good.

So, yes, you'll relax over time, but still (hopefully) retain that sense of 'plugged in'-ness and awareness to the happenings around you, only it will become almost sub-conscious. You're replacing ignorance with awareness and want to keep a little healthy caution. You are leaving the world of the sheep and entering the world of the sheepdog. Depending on how much of a 'condition white'-type person you were before, it can be like a thin veil being lifted or it can be seriously overwhelming - as it seems like you are experiencing, but you'll calm down after a bit.

- Gabe

PS: Take your hand off the gun. Bad idea...unless you really have reason to believe you are in imminent danger.

Its funny you bring this up....

I was (still am) trying to decide on what firearm I want to buy for concealed carry. In the decision making process, I decided to visit some internet forums to get some input and help make my decision.

Consequently, I'm also in the process of trying to get into law enforcement, a pretty big change from my career as a desk jockey (mechanical engineer). So I figured I'd check out some of the other "non gun" focused forums like this one (this one meaning "Tactics and Training" as opposed to "The Semi-Auto Forum").

In reading these forums, hearing about situations "everyday" people have been in, I feel as though I've become somewhat paranoid, and I don't carry yet.

Coming from a rural upbringing, my "awareness" has always been very low, since there has never been anything to fear.

In preparation for LE, I've also started taking self defense martial arts classes.

All of this "preparation", but mostly what I read here, made me much more "paranoid", which in reality I think its simply awareness of my surroundings. For instance, I find myself looking around much more often. Instead of people watching, or day dreaming, I take mental note of peoples appearances, activities, demeanor, and clothing. When entering an establishment (resturant, quickie mart, etc), I give it a scan, look for exits, "shady characters", etc. On hot day's, I take note of those that are wearing unseasonable clothes (i.e. hiding something), especially in places like malls.

The first week or two this started happening, I kept thinking to myself, "What the hell is wrong with me? I sound like those gun toting nut-jobs on the firing line that are talking all that code yellow crap, putting motion detectors in their houses and having a cell phone and shotgun in the closet".

Then a few weeks went by. I became more comfortable with it. My awareness level became more normal, and I didn't feel as paranoid as I did when I first started being so aware. Then my attitude changed from feeling like a wack job listening to those paranoid nuts on the Firing Line, to how amazingly naive, and unaware I'd lived my life. Lucky to have not gotten in trouble or bad situations. I notice many things now.

Some examples....

The other day at the driving range (golf), a man came out to the range with a small backpack. He was dressed in clothing that would make it tough to hide a gun. "he's got a pistol in that backpack" I thought to myself. "Why on earth would he bring his backpack from the car, to the driving range to hit balls?"

While getting on to the elevator the other day at a hospital, there was a shady looking character who didn't look quite like he knew where he was going. Being the only elevator, I boarded with him, but only after putting my hand in my pocket, grasping my keys as a stabbing weapon....just in case I needed them. Is that paranoid? I think he was a "special" person that worked there, but how was I supposed to know? He looked a bit unstable to me....

I've also started to become aware of "non traditional" weapons around me. (I think this is due to the self defense classes). I look at pens, silverwear, and other odd implements a little differently now, and note where they are just in case I need them.

Personally, I think 80% of it is a game to me. Training for my LE career, watching people, trying to reading them, taking mental notes of their stature and what they are wearing. The situational awareness is the only thing I really feel is serious in my mind, and could actually save my life. I'm not going to grab a pen and use it like Jason Bourne to whoop up on some hoodlum, but its fun to pretend anyway right? I don't cross the street to avoid people (of course I'm not typically out at 11pm walking down a dark street in the bad part of town either, perhaps I would then...)....

This thread made me happy I wasn't the only one....

The comment made about it being a game is a good one. Not in the idea that defense is a game or that life and death situations should be viewed as a game. I have heard this type of awareness refered to war gaming, you constantly think out what you could do in case of an attack or threat so that you don't have to figure it all out when you come across a threat.

I do not consider myself paranoid, but I do believe that anyone is a potential threat if I do not know and trust them. So when I'm out I'm constantly people watching to see what's going on, I don't feel like I'm in danger or anyone is out to get me, it's just so I'll be prepared to act. I think that paranoia becomes harmful when you are constantly and unreasonably fearful for your safety. Until then it's okay to look over your shoulder once in awhile.

Paranoia is when you see actual threats (not just potential ones) that aren't there. When your awareness of reality is impaired by your fear of things that aren't actually real.

I haven't been carrying long either, only since January, but the first couple months my surroundings became a hyper-reality of sorts and I was suddenly suspicious of everyone around me. It didn't help reading all the posts on these forums either. I suspect you are the same way.

Now things have settled down considerably. I'm no longer worried about 'printing' and having the P11 on my right is just another tool to carry. Open carry in restaraunts still makes me a little jittery though (its the law).

Just remember, you and everyone else made it this far without needing to draw a gun on someone and things haven't changed much...you have. My advice is to get off these forums for one week and go about your usual daily routine. Get re-acquainted with life as it was before you 'took the red pill'. After that, I think you'll be a little more level headed and prepared to enjoy life...safely.

I think you are on the right road. As you learn, develope and continually practice your skills of observation, it can become somewhat automatic.

It will also cause you not to appear as an easy mark. You don't need to make overt signs of observation either; on the contrary - your demeanor will tend to telegraph this to anyone with street smarts. The ones without any are perhaps less likely to be a threat to you.

You sound pretty paranoid- but what sort of neighbourhood are you moving about in.

If it came to packing a gun 24/7 and moving I would move- nothing is worth life in a combat zone.

you sound like me when i am not carrying.

the feeling will pass. eventually that situational awareness will just become your sixth sense and you will find yourself taking evasive maneuvers without a second thought.

what will eventually eat at you is the times when your Sit-Aw fails. when someone gets behind you without your knowing it. when someone grabs you by the arm without your knowing they are even there.

remember, your Sit-Aw is a tool you can use to identify potential threats before they become a problem. you will learn how to read body gestures, look for empty hands, look for concealed weapons, shifty eyes, nervous tics.

but all that is secondary to realizing that the weapon you carry is your LAST RESORT. you should have a plethora of alternatives that are at your disposal. successful self defense is the type that ends with no shots fired, and allows you to go home.

If it came to packing a gun 24/7 and moving I would move- nothing is worth life in a combat zone.

Dang man, where's he supposed to move to? There is no demilitarized zone or so called good neighbrohoods, thats an illusion! :D

Back