When do you use lube when reloading straight cases?

When do you use lube when reloading straight cases?

• Never

Votes: 34 64.2%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Always

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I spray lube all my pistol cases (with carbide dies). It makes the lever effort much easier and that would seem to be a good thing with my meager knowledge of machining.

However, I only bother do it because I know I'm going to tumble all the brass in ss pins after sizing/flairing to get them all nice n shiny (which is important to me). I figure, since the brass is going to get a bath that'll wash off the lube anyway, why not just take a quick moment to spray lube them?

So, I kind of "backed into" lubing my cases, but I do none-the-less.

Yep, a little teensy bit of lube even on straight wall is a good defense if you ever feel any arm or shoulder pain from reloading. Advice I’m going to start following myself.

Never. Been reloading since about 1991 and I’ve never used lube on a single straight wall pistol case. I use carbide dies for those cases and found the need to lube them before sizing.

Ten-year-old zombie thread. But in the spirit of togetherness - I never lube carbide dies including .30 Carbine. Why bother to buy carbide dies if you’re going to use lube?

I always lube steel dies for handgun cartridges and the .45-70. Hornady OneShot or Imperial sizing die wax.

Last edited:
Back