When Do You Start?

With the start of July, I tend to get out practicing with the recurve, for October Archery season,her in MI.
September get the firearms out for the firearms season, also getting new loads for the rifles. e.g.: downloaded a 7mmMag using a different powder to give me a 7X57mmMauser round equivalency.

Co draw results are posted first part of June and most tags are draw. I've been hunting same game units since later part 70's, so don't spend lot of time scouting. I've seen elk/deer already around 12.5K.

Start now. Build you blind now. The animals will be leery of it but over the course of time, will come to accept it as harmless. Where to build it? Where are the animal trails to the feeding sites or watering holes.

The question is, when do you start losing sleep in preparation for deer season?

I don't !
Honestly I don't lose sleep over such things. That's because ~ I'm a cold heart'ed old school bushwhacker. Heck my heart beat doesn't even quicken.
Although at that time of year my eyes seem to squint a little more >for better vision.

Stepped up

For me it just went up another notch just got word I've been selected for 2 quota hunts on Catoosa WMA.Both are muzzleloader hunts but it's something to ease me back into things.

I start losing sleep the night before opening day. Getting up at 4:00 AM to go hunting is common, since we like to get on-stand before legal hunting time. It's weird sitting in the blind with an empty rifle, but we do it.

Bow season opened on August 15 for us, gun opens September 1 and runs through January 1. Don’t bow hunt so I have two more weeks to kill fish. Might split time between them, just got my grouper game dialed in good.

Loosing sleep??? It is just after 1 am and I'm sitting in my recliner thinking about maybe I should be out looking for hogs ! When you get old like me, you don't sleep so good anyway and I am out in the woods everyday checking traps and looking for hogs. Deer hunting just seems like an extension of my regular activities..

Deer season already started here in Florida and it runs until end of February but its too hot right now for me. I'll probably take a doe in October with my muzzle-loader CVA rifle and a buck with my 30-30 carbine later on in November. Florida has lots and lots of deer due to lack of predators and no winter kill. Not that many hunters, either. These deer are smaller than the animals we hunted in Pennsylvania but just as good on the dinner plate.

Jack

Over 50 years of white tail hunting. I enjoy it immensely but these last two years of moose hunting has been like Christmas in anticipation

Youth hunt this weekend here in Michigan, the shots I hear gets me fired up happens every year, 9 days to bow season !!!

I don't think much about Deer Hunting until a couple of days before Opening Day. I'll go up to the blind a few days before to check it and fix as necessary. I may not lose sleep the night before, since I get up between 4:00 and 5:00 anyway.

This year, I have an Any-Deer permit, so that makes getting a deer child's play, though I prefer to get a buck, and behind the house, if possible. We have several weeks of grouse hunting before even thinking of deer. Last couple of years, we've each seen about 20 deer on opening day. I've been hunting deer since about 1959, so it's "old hat".

Back