When did the "Weaver stance" come into use?

Did you ever see a photo of someone using a revolver with it cradled in their crossed arms held at shoulder height? That sounds a little confusing. With your revolver in your right hand, raise your arms, place your left hand on your right bicep or the inside of your right forearm, then place your gun hand on your left arm somewhere around your elbow. It isn't a good idea with a heavily loaded revolver. Definately dated but it might just be the thing for your K-22, which also seems a little dated.

Last edited:
Did you ever see a photo of someone using a revolver with it cradled in their crossed arms held at shoulder height? That sounds a little confusing. With your revolver in your right hand, raise your arms, place your left hand on your right bicep or the inside of your right forearm, then place your gun hand on your left arm somewhere around your elbow. It isn't a good idea with a heavily loaded revolver. Definately dated but it might just be the thing for your K-22, which also seems a little dated.

I did that when I somehow grafted a rifle scope in my.... you've guessed it: K-22. :) Early 80's.

LT Jack Weaver; Los Angeles County Sheriff's Dept(CA)...

To my limited knowledge, the "Weaver Stance" as it is commonly known was R&Ded by a LA Sheriff's Dept LT named Jack Weaver.
Weaver worked with former USMC officer & combat veteran Jeff Cooper and a few others to design/develop new pistol training methods/draws.

The late author/gun expert Robert Boatman; www.BoatmanBooks.com wrote about Weaver & Cooper in his "Living With" book about the 1911 pistol.

I prefer the "Modified Weaver" which has the non firing hand in a support position. It seems fast & smooth to me. ;)
The "Chapman Weaver" or "Speed Weaver" has merit too for match use or as an advanced combat response but it requires full training & extended practice to really be practical. Chapman refers to noted match shooter: Ray Chapman.

ClydeFrog

isn't there a picture of Obama using the Weaver stance in a documentary about LEO instructors in Hawaii?

;)
just trying to bring all the threads together....

The early days of combat shooting , the Leather Slap, was in the '50s .Don Nowka was the first winner in these competitions .Mentioned in Cooper's "Fighting Handguns " 1958

Back