When did Ruger change to the hogue grips on the GP100?

these threads are always interesting. I actually prefer Pachmayr grippers except for when it comes to the GP100. With that model I have discovered that I like the older style rubber factory grips. I purchased a brand new 4" GP100 last December and replaced the Houge grips with the Altamont grips. I opted for the faux ivory panels just because. Oh by the way I have the 2005 Ruger catalog and the photos of the GP100 and SP101 still showed them with the older style factory grips. So it was sometime after 2005.

I've decided that the Hogue grips, finger grooves or not, are better for me,
especially with magnum loads.

Whatever complaints about the Hogues regarding their size, I must be their
poster boy with hands that fit the grip perfectly. I agree, though, that the
finger groves are unnecessary.

On checking the Hogue home site, I see that the company does offer
a smooth front GP 100/Redhawk grip that has a more contoured
bottom instead of the usual flare. Think I'll order a pair.

Last edited:
Mind if I throw in an option number 3, or is that 4?

For me the Hogues fit my hand okay but I've never cared much for their look or feel.

I prefer the factory grips, but in the compact version that uses the same wood panels as the SP101.

Not for concealability, but if the SP101 rubber boot was the same dimension as the GP100 compact boot, it would be perfect in my mind.

They've been doing the Hogue grips for quite some time now, which I think is okay. However, I hate that they quit offering wood grips on their Blackhawk lineup, it's those garbage plastic panels....so terrible.

The read instructions warning is there, but much more brief and not the paragraph long version like on older versions of the GP.

Back