When did Ruger change to the hogue grips on the GP100?

dubsRedhawk

Looking at a GP100 that has the smaller composite style grips and most of the internet pics show a Hogue molded style. Question is when did they change and does the older style have the "read instructions" on the barrel? Thanks!

The grips with the inserts were there from the beginning. The used those for 15? or so years. The Hogues were used for maybe 8 years. I don't think anyone liked the GP100 with Hogues. The original grips came back about a year ago.

IIRC

You will not find a GP 100 (1986) without the warning as the revolver was introduced after the warnings took effect ( late 1977).

Yup.....after a little more research I found this to be the case. The one I am looking at is a 1998. There is something about those Hogues. I had the Pachmayr presentation grips on my Redhawk and bought a pair the the Hogues. Way too thin. Went back the the Pachs.

They changed when Lett's closed shop and they ran out of existing stock. Now Altamont is making the same style of rubber/insert grip for Ruger.

+2 on the Altamonts....really nice!

Also agree that the Hogue grips are a poor shape for my hand skinny, but very long.

No warnings on mine. Bought it when they first came to Canada in 1985ish.
Lett's, the makers of the original wood insert grips, closed shop about 10 years ago.

The change to the Hogue grip was done in late 2007 or early 2008, after Ruger ran out of the Lett panel grips.
...Been that way ever since.

Last edited:
Totally strange no one else is moving to the current style grip.

It's cause they are awful :)

Plus $50 to any GP100 price to get a grip that fits a human hand.

When I bought my 3" GP100, it came with the Hogue grip. I took it on its first Range Trip wearing those Hogue's, and found they worked great for me. Very comfortable and natural pointing for me.
I did replace the Hogue grip with a compact Lett, which works better for conceal carry.
However, I do still put the big Hogue on once in a while. In fact, I have considered buying the new smooth front, non-finger groove Hogue rubber grip.

Mine came with the Hogue grips.
My brother bought his used, and it came with the panel grips.
He replaced his with the Hogue.
I replaced mine with his take-off panel grip.

A short time later, I returned to the Hogue.... :rolleyes:

Ugly.
But effective.

I'm not a fan of finger grooves on pistols. So I found a set cheap of the wood panel grips on eBay or Gunbroker and packed the Hogues away with the grey box.

The HOGUES are the best grips out there for controlling hot magnum loads. They are the most comfortable and efficient revolver grips ever made, and look great.

I agree with Jack on this one. Tried the Hogues on my 44 Redhawk and went back the the Pachmayr Presentation grips. Love those but they don't make them for the GP.

I agree with Model12Win on every point except that they look great. I think they are rather ugly...

Short of including a small, medium, large and XL grips in both wood and plastic with every gun purchase people will complain.

My stainless GP100 came with the Hogue molded grip, and I quickly replace it with the paneled grip, out of nostalgia as much as anything. In truth, I found the Hogue grip to be more comfortable in my hands, especially with hot loads, but I have a soft spot for those paneled originals. And yeah, those Altamonts are very nice.

Back