When attacked by multiple assailants: MAKE AN EXAMPLE OUT OF ONE OF THEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
The concepts Mleake posted are exactly my thoughts, having done similar training. Yes, it focuses mainly on unarmed assailants, and shinai are easier to brush off than sticks or knives, but some of the tactics stay the same. Graduating to firearms you must definitely find cover, and fighting back without enough distance is likely going to lead you to being shot yourself, unless you're lucky enough to get a gun out and firing before one of them shoots you or grabs your weapon arm.

In the end, turn the snow red. How red is determined by those assaulting you. But these aren't like most animals, shooting/cutting/stabbing/bludgeoning the leader isn't any more or less effective than whoever happens to be the closest. Though, I've talked my way out of group beatings more often than I have ever had to use violence, so don't take my word for it... ;)

G. Gordon Lidy discussed this issue. I believe he covered it in his book WILL. When he was held in the DC Jail. General Population he was confronted with multiple threats. He focused on a single individual. Before the thugs could attack he Went on the offensive, disabled the first attacker, started for a second and the covey scattered.

If you are swarmed there is not a lot you can do. If the attackers want to intimidate and work up to the attack then you have a chance.

Identify the leader, Move obliquely so as to limit the number of attackers facing you, start the ball by taking out the leader and go from there.

Survival is based on your will to survive, lack of hesitation and your tools.

Well, the great Musashi believed that one man is the same as ten thousand...in this situation, we would be satisifed with one being the equal of seven...:D

You can have the best training and be a great strategist, but if you cannot work your strategy into the situation at hand...you are SOL. The value of training and strategy are only relevant if you can make it work at the time you need it. Seven determined attackers leave 99.99% of people in deep doo-doo because most of the folks that have the training/strategy skills have very little experience in real life, full speed, dynamic encounters where they are required to apply thier skills to the situation at hand.

If you can work your way to the gun, it is your best/only hope...if you cannot talk your way out of it.

Last edited:
Looks to me like the Chinese kid was in one of them kill zones, a school where he was not allowed to have a weapon for self defense. If he had, he would probably have been expelled and/or prosecuted for having one in spite of the protected gangs that roam around in such zones. This is the same situation one has in a shopping center with No Gun signs. I don't go there.
Let such places go bankrupt from losing business. :eek:

I was attacked by 3 kids last year at school. I hit one while they were in the pushing/talking smack stage, cutting his forehead, then moved on to wannabe gangster number 2... But didnt see number 3 behind me until I was on the ground after a nice punch to the back of the head. I learned 3 things. 1. Keep your head on a swivel. 2. Stay on your feet, at all costs. A kick to the face is no fun. 3. Land the first shot/fight dirty. There are no rules in a fight. I say this to say that 7 people is pack your shtuff up and go time. Dont be a hero unless a loved one is on the line. I will be called a whimp or wharltever before taking on 7 people. Im no John Wayne and dont claim to be. The only way I like my odds there is from 50 yards, in an alley, with 3 15round mags in something sturdy... Even then I dont want to play for keeps. No sir, not me.

You have to carefully plan your shots in a disparity of force case because when there is only one left standing, disparity of force no longer exists and it's hand-to-hand.

The idea of having a handgun or any sort of firearm is stopping someone at a distance or you might as well have a knife. So getting close enough to someone that you can grab one to make an example of him to deter his accomplices is a really bad idea . Rule 1 if possible keep a distance between you and your assailant's.

Not me. I'm gonna let em swarm me, then jump on me. Then I'm gonna stand up fast like Arnold does in all his movies and throw em off:rolleyes:.

Instead, you grab the one that is closest to you and make a nice, shining example out of him.

I don't think his friends will continue to show that much alacrity in attacking you when they witness their accomplice being put in a bear hug, then ventilated at point blank range, or had some KaBar surgery performed on his intestines.

Why would I want to first dramatically increase the danger to me by putting myself in closer proximity to a bad guy who can then beat me, stab me, or possibly disarm me, things he could not do when he was further away? If he has a gun, he is more likely to be able to shoot me with less skill required to be successful than if he was further away. You don't need to aim contact shots.

How do I hold him in a bear hug and still manage to draw and fire my gun? Bear hugs require both arms.

If you do manage to shoot the guy while keeping him wrapped up, it would be point blank range or actually inside of point black range. However, anyone you shoot a robbery distances will be at point blank range or less.

^^^ All of the above pretty much negates the origional idea that taking on #1 thug first will generally solve the issue.
M.Leake and the guys who were engaged talked of proactive continuede engaging and moving = a fight; not make the punks scurry with a single series of punch/kick elbows to One loudmouth.

You all have great points here, and I admit in my original post, I forgot to include the first, and even more important tactic than fighting: While you are fighting, you should be occupied with trying to get away from the danger area ASAP

Yes, being in the middle of a pack of feral hominids is perhaps the worst place to be, especially if they have weapons too. Silver screen badasses want you to believe that the hero can whip down a whole army of assailants, but the screen of real life is anything but silver.

But if you take down an assailant while you are running, you will place some distance between you and the rest, and the rest, perhaps the weaker stomached ones, will give up first.

Imagine the gang in the video chasing the guy at the end. Now imagine the victim choosing this time to produce a knife and neautralize the attacker that is gaining up on him. Attacker will fall, and the rest, catching up to the body, will see their dead or dying friend, will probably be struck by a momentary shock...the "This can't be happening to us" attitude.

THose who choose to continue the pursuit, the victim is still running, and is more than capable of neutralizing another threat if it comes too close to him.

REMEMBER: the elephant and the tiger. The tiger does not bring down an elephant by standing ground and biting, he would be trampled in less than a heartbeat. The tiger is always on the move, striking where he sees is vulnerable.

If multiple people treatin you it justifies deadly force IMO. I would produce atleast 1 gun, offer them a chance to change their mind (not a must, I'd just rather not kill someone if I dont have to) and if they do not immediately change their mind they will be shot. One major problem I can see in this situation is your likely to leave someone to talk against you in court, it's unlikely that you can quickly kill 3-5 people with a hand gun, especially with a 380 or a 5 shot revolver.

MrDontPlay said:
I would produce atleast 1 gun, offer them a chance to change their mind (not a must, I'd just rather not kill someone if I dont have to) and if they do not immediately change their mind they will be shot.

Assuming you have the chance to do so, of course. Like most animals, humans don't like their prey to know what's about to happen.

Can't think of any guaranteed way to deal with multiple attackers. As usual, it all depends on exactly what's happening and how. It will also depend on what skills and abilities you've brought to the situation -- and how good your judgement and luck is. And let's not forget the utility of avoidance and escape.

But in the meantime, I don't think that
In the end, turn the snow red.
is very helpful. And
One major problem I can see in this situation is your likely to leave someone to talk against you in court,
leaving no witnesses needs to be off the table.

So this seems to have gone as far as it needs to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back