Wheelguns

I admit, while I do have a propensity for auto's, I do have several revolvers that I really enjoy shooting. Among those are:
1. A S&W 4" mod 25 in .45 Colt
2. A S&W 2.5" 296 in .44 spl
3. A S&W 4" mod 686 in .357
4. A S&W 2" custom shop Centennial
There are others, but these really stand out as special.

I do wish S&W would get concentrate on their revolvers and forget those auto's now, if they would make an airweight 2.5" K-frame 357, I'd buy it. That new 296 Ti is unbelievably light and easy to carry, even though it's the size of a 2.5" 686, it's not even half the weight, and it throws a 200 gr bullet.

If they made a mountain gun in airweight mode in 45 Colt or 357, I'd buy one of those. The airweight centennials are great guns, I have one of the custom shop ported 38's and absolutely love it. I've even had my eye on one of the airweight .32 Mag's, those might be real interesting to try, a 6 shot J-frame makes a lot of sense to me.

For my money, S&W still makes the best revolvers on the planet, and I wish they'd stick to what they do best.

I have one auto--the Ruger MK512. Love it, but the rest of my guns are/will be revolvers.

I am into basic, functional, work-everytime, no-nonsense tools in the shop, the kitchen, the garage, the campsite, the range, whatever. On the range this means revolvers. I can't compete against the belt-fed, gyrostabilized autos with heads-up targeting systems in action pistol, but then I'll never be in the position of having to say "Ooops!" when facing Mr. Bad Guy and need to change a battery, grease a slide or figure which magazine doesn't have the bent tabs.

I also hate to spend half the action shooting day picking up everyone's brass while waiting my turn. (Do wish there were a SF Bay Area ICORE club!!!!!!)

In August, I broke my wrist on my shooting
hand - bummer. Since, then I've been
testing my shooting with my nondominant
hand. In fact, I did LFI-1 with it.

So what's the point. For practice, I
did the TX DPS Smurf test (20 at 3 yards,
20 at 7 and 10 15 yards) with a Sig 2340
and my SW 642. Max score is 250 (50x5 for
COM). I got 245 with either gun. Hey,
a modern new Sig and an old wheel gun with
a short barrel and rudimentary sights.

In both cases, I flinch on the last few
rounds at 15 yards and shot low. I guess
my nondominant hand needs practice.

Then I shot a 250 with a Glock 26 with
my broken wrist but recovering hand -
Doc said try.

So to conclude - have both - shoot both.
With either hand.

PS - tried to shoot the 40 with the bad
hand - OW! I'm not recoil sensitive
but that hurt. More healing rays, Bones.

Back