Wheelgun to carry

Check out a used S&W Mod 13. 38/357 Mag, 3 inch barrel, round butt. This is my wife's favorite carry gun. You and your wife might like it too.

Stay safe!

Raider

Ala Dan.....save your steps

I looked at an Ultralite Taurus 85 recently that was absolute garbage. The star was horrible and the front of the cylinder wasn't even blued for the most part. The cylinder had more play in it than one of Barney Frank's house guests.

Ala Dan,

Don't listen to Will. ;)

We have a pair of Taurus 731UL's in the house that you're welcome to shoot next time you go to a UT game. Lockup's tight, timing's flawless, b/c gap's good and the stock trigger's as good as that on any stock J-frame I've ever held; no stacking, no grit, light and smooth. We've got a couple of well-tuned J-frames to shoot for comparison purposes.

(The 731 is the same gun as the 85, but in .32 H&R Magnum.)

Tamara:

I have the utmost respect for your handgun acumen. I believe if you worked at this shop, you would have rejected this blue ultralight 85 before the the guy in the brown shorts and cap with the Ohio art note pad could have gotten back in ugly brown van thingy the day it was delivered. :D

I looked at an Ultralite Taurus 85 recently that was absolute garbage. The star was horrible and the front of the cylinder wasn't even blued for the most part. The cylinder had more play in it than one of Barney Frank's house guests.

Mine on the other hand is tighter than either my Ruger or my S&W and tighter than any of the S&W I ever recall shooting in the past.

My star isn't bad but my brother in law the engineer had a Taurus that had some rough edges on the star which required some polishing with a dremel.

I Really Hate to Intrude, but...

Is there a place for considering a Dan Wesson snubby in this thread?
:confused:
My experience shooting this revolver is confined to one range session at 7-10yds with a fellow club members weapon...I own several S&W's and have owned 'Tauri' in the past, my impression of the DW compared to the other brands is that it outhandles and outperforms both.
I use autoloaders for my CCW's, but like others, I've considerd adding a revolver to the list. How bout the Dan Wesson in .357 with 2.5" barrel?:)

Look around and see if you can find a stainless steel Ruger Speed Six with 2 3/4" barrel. It's a very strong and reliable snubby that will last a life time of heavy use. It's built to really take it, like all Ruger revolvers. I've owned mine since the late 70s and it's one of my prized handguns.

7th

Hey Tam and Will,

I appreciate both opinion's, as I'm always looking to
improve on present day equipment. Like Tam said, I
guess the best thing to do is drop by the gunshop
enroute to UT's annual orange and white game; and
try one out for myself.:D Many thanks for the invite
Tam; I will get with you, as time draws a little closer.

Will: Taurus quality control really must suck; as was
evidenced by your examination of the model 85,
ultra-light?:eek:

Like I said, I have read many horror stories about
their "Limited Lifetime Warranty".:( And as the ole'
saying goes, "Where there is smoke, there's usually
Fire".

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Last edited:
I recommend a double action .38 snubbie revolver for ease of carry, fast draw, and great handling qualities for CQC.

The Colt Detective Special is one of the best snub nosed revolvers. I can keep all my shots in the black at 25yds firing off hand with the Detective Special. Shooting SA mode I can be dangerous out to 50yds, very good for a pocket gun!

Anyway, I think you will be pleased with a Colt Detective Special, so look around the used gun market for one in good shape.

re: Dan Wesson. The cylinder latch is located forward on the frame, making quick reloads more awkward (if that's a consideration).

Taurus is getting better quickly....

My wife's Taurus Total Ti in .38 special +P has a fine trigger, both double and single action. The star, lock-up, and everything else about the little snub is very nearly perfect. It's very accurate, also.
However, I too recently purchased a 731UL in .32 H&R magnum. It was a lemon. The star looked pretty rough and there was an important manufacturing step that was simply left out. Getting Taurus to live up to the "lifetime warranty" was like pulling teeth. (The customer service department hung up on me TWICE. And yes, I was being nice. Maybe because it was right before Christmas they were overloaded. Still, that isn't an excuse to hang up on a customer. Especially a REPEAT customer!) I traded the 731UL in on a very lightly used S&W 331 AirLite Ti in .32 H&R mag.

444: You're right. The .32 mag is a fine round for snubs. I think it's a little stronger than a regular .38 special, but not as strong as a .38 special +P. Plus, the recoil is far less and you get one extra round in the cylinder.

KR

I have never owned a Taurus revlover..shot one. I have a Rossi
677 snubbie..pretty much the same thing as a Taurus. Mechanically its as nice as my sp101 was..although, I would like to get another ruger. It shoots very well and has a good trigger. I have seen the Charter Arms and have to wonder "do all Charter Arms snubbies look that rough?
Anyway, I carry a couple of semit autos and also the snubbie when I feel like it. Its light, small and carrys well.

Taurus guns are always a point of interesting discussion. People can say what they want based on their experiences, why not?... I like Taurus. My pt940 was as nice as any gun I have fired. One bad thing about Taurus? They came out with the 357 sig version just after I bought my 40. Just a little to late. There steel autos are good guns.
Shoot well

Eric Larsen,

I apolygize in advance as I know this is off topic.

You said you owned a Taurus PT940, what do you think of them? I never really seriously considered this line of Taurus guns until the other day in the gun shop I checked out the PT911 on a whim- it was love at first touch. This thing seems to just feel good. The size and weight seem perfect to me (not too small, not too large), balance seems great, love the Taurus safety (decocker, off, or "cocked and locked"- can carry DA 1st shot OR SA and on safe in the same gun), dry fire I loved the SA trigger pull (better than my 1911- though mine is a cheaper one) and it has a good DA pull. I couldn't fire one because they didn't have one for rent. I have heard there is a problem with hammer bite. Have you experienced this? I have big hands (short but big and beefy), is there anything I can do to avoid hammer bite? I may post as a new topic on the semiauto board. Otherwise, reply to Jeff10236@cs.com as this is off topic and I don't want to clog the board with something too off topic.

Now back to the regularly scheduled topic.

Back