Wheelgun to carry

Atc1man

I'm really an auto fan, and am proficient enough to clear a misfeed quickly, etc, but my current one and only pistol is a Ruger P95DC in 9mm. I carry this almost everywhere I go, and thankfully its winter right now, as this is alot of gun to carry!
I've been looking at compact autos and just don't like what I see pricewise. I'm considering a compact wheelgun instead. Double action so that the wife could use it if need be, something like my Ruger (point and shoot).
Give me some suggestions on something inexpensive with some stopping power...

You could pick up a Taurus 605 for around $300, five rounds of .357 in a very portable package. The same money can get you a used Smith, all their newer J-frame compact revolvers come in .357 as well.

If you feel the need for a bigger "boom", both Taurus and *&* make big-bore snubbies in .44 Special. Taurus also makes their snubbies in .45LC and .41 Magnum, in both alloy/titanium and steel-framed versions. These will be a bot more expensive, though.

You could do a lot worse than a NIB Taurus 605 or a used Smith Model 60 in .357 for around $300. Plenty of stopping power in a compact, easy-to-tote package.

Personally, I think you should look at different holsters for the one you have. I carry a 1911 everywhere and its nothing! A good holster is everything.

To answer your question, Ruger SP101, Charter Arms Bulldog 2000....all the smiths and tauri....

What the heck does *&* mean? I figured it meant post treason S&W...

I don't particularly give a rats butt about S&W's politics. I will get what makes me the most comfortable...
As for the gun frame, problem is that I'm a very small guy, 5'4" with a medium build. Currently I carry inside the pants strongside, and have thought of getting a holster pouch that has belt loops. I absolutely love 1911 .45's and am just bothered by the idea of carrying single action hammer back, despite the fact you can't get one to fire by hitting the hammer with a friggin baseball bat blah blah ;)
Besides, a wheelgun would be something my wife could shoot, and If I can get her more interested in self defense that would make my day.

Several "wheelgun's" that I like for CCW purpose's are:

1) S&W's 36, 37, 38, 40, 42, 49, and 60 all in .38 Special

2) S&W's 19 and/or 66 w/2.5" bbl's in .357 magnum

3) And Colt's Python w/2.5" bbl in .357 magnum

4) Last and least, a 2" bbl Charter Arms "Off Duty" .38 Spl.

Can't address the Ruger's, as I've never owned one
of the snub nose model's; and I don't do the Taurus
thing.:cool: :) :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

I still see plenty of post-police-issue 38s and 357s at the gun shows for about $150, sometimes less, sometimes more. Usually these have 4" or 6" barrels and exposed hammers though.

If you like Rugers and are looking for inexpensive try to find a 2 3/4" Ruger Speed Six at your local gun shows. Roughly S&W K frame size but brute strong as all Rugers are. They're excellent revolvers, the predecessor to the GP100, generally available in 357 magnum but sometimes you can find them in 38 Special if you just don't want a magnum.

If that's to large for you the compact Taurus revolvers suggested by Leadslinger are excellent relatively inexpensive choices as well.

I carried a Colt D/S almost every day for 20 years. Someone asked me if I ever felt undergunned. The short answer is never. :cool:

Ala Dan:

You endorse Charter Arms but you don't endorse Taurus? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Where's Robert Stack when you need him? We have an unsolved mystery.

I cast my vote for the Taurus 38 with the available wood grip as seen on their website or a Taurus 605 with a wood grip---------------------anything but those polymer grip things they come with that move around each time you shoot em'.

I like the S&W 342PD in .38. Expensive, but it is a once in a lifetime purchase! It is so light you will carry it everywhere regardless of the weather. A lot of the heavvier guns will eventually get left home on a particular (hot) day and that day may be the one day in a lifetime that you will need it. I'll say it one more time: has anyone even HEARD of a private citizen needing 60 shots from 3 different guns in the course of defending themselves? You want to feel like Rambo? Be my guest. But in 99% of the cases just showing the gun will be enough. I can't think of ANY cases where someone went through 3 clips in self protection who wasn't an LEO. .38 is enough stopping power with the right ammo as well!

Hey Will,

Many year's ago I had a very positive experience with
Charter Arm's "Off Duty" model; as it was small, light,
very concealable, and didn't have too bad of a double-
action trigger.:) On the flip side of the coin, my only
experience with a Taurus was with an old model 82
(copy of S&W's bull barrel model 10 M&P). That P.O.S.
was not only heavy (34 ozs.); it had about a 25 lbs.
double-action trigger pull.:eek: The only thing that
piece of crap was fit for was a damn boat anchor.:D
Just for fun, I tried to qualify with the Taurus during
my annual security/police training class; and ended
up shooting my lowest score ever recorded, for me.
So, to sum up; YES, I've got the ass at the Tauri
line of weapon's. Since then, I've read the many,
many negative thread's regarding Taurus semi-
auto's; and their sub par "limited lifetime warranty
policy".

Best Wishes,

Meekand Mild,

Reading all the current thread's regarding the Taurus
model 85 gives me the impression that the Tauri line
hs improved greatly?:confused: Guess, I will have to
take your advice and check out one for myself.:D :)

Best Wishes,

I own two that fit your requirements. A model 60 S&W in .38 Special that I bought about 15 years ago and a Ruger SP-101 in .357. The Model 60 is a joy to carry, I think the caliber is perfectly adequate, the stainless finish is easy to care for, and it shoots great. The SP-101 is pretty heavy which you appreciate when you are shooting full house .357s in it. I think that recoil is 90% psycological but the .357 out of a short barreled revolver might be a little much for your wife if she isn't a frequent shooter. It does have some recoil, but the real issue is the tremendous muzzle blast and noise. Something that I find interesting that you might want to check out is the .32 H&R Mag caliber. I have heard nothing but good things about this cartridge and might be a very nice ladies gun, especially in a short barreled light revolver. I think you are making a good decision. Small revolvers are great personal defense choices; like you say, the operation is full proof and they are very easy to carry and conceal.

I carry a Rossi 462 .357 mag with 2" barrel. I use a IWB holster behind the hip and cant the gun/holster forward "FBI style" with the grip up tight to my body. The trigger guard rides above the belt and the barrel does not did in at all. Not much weight difference between a .357 and a .38. Might as well buy the .357 and have the option of shooting .38, .38 +P, or .357 out of it.

If you want to practice with and carry exclusively 357 ammo, you can't beat the sp101. I wrestled with the weight vs. strength issue for a while before deciding. I got 357 for 357, not 38+p+. Yes it's a little heavy, but with a good rig I've carried mine daily for 2+ yrs. no discomfort at all.
The wheight also helps recoil management.

Too heavy for a pocket gun, but will shoot full house loads all day long, no sweat. (Try shooting an IDPA backup gun course with full power loads in a titanium or aluminum gun, see what happens.)

If you plan on mostly 38 or 38+P for carry and practice then any guns from the above posts fill the bill.

I own a S&W 65 LS that I absolutely love. It is a K-frame (medium frame) 3" barrel snubbie .357. Despite the 3" barrel it is one of the most accurate guns I've ever shot (I don't miss having a 4" or more). Compared to a 2" it is still quite concealable (the barrel effects concealability less that one may think) and is easier to shoot accurately. It is very comfortable with all but the hottest .357 loads and is a great looking gun.

The K-frame is somewhat less concealable and is heavier than the J-frame but has some advantages. If you want a .357 instead of a .38 the heavier K-frame is much more comfortable (a consideration if you aren't used to the .357 recoil, especially for someone with a smaller body size). It is stronger so it will last a lot longer with .357 loads (the J-frame will wear out faster unless you usually only shoot it with .38 rounds). Last, it holds six shots vs. the J-frame's five.

I strongly suggest the 65 LS (Ladysmith). Personally I prefer the wood grips to rubber and these look and feel great. Also, it is a better looking gun (great looking grips, nice matte stainless finish) and if you want to convince your wife to shoot that can't hurt :).

If you really want the more concealable small-frame gun the J-frame S&W 36 or 60 are great guns, and like many S&W models available in the previously mentioned Ladysmith models. Both are .38 guns but the 60 is also available as a .357 (though to preserve the gun I would use .38 rounds most of the time). Also, the Taurus 85 or 850 are great bets in .38. I would strongly suggest renting these guns in .38 and .357 before buying as the recoil for someone not used to revolvers can be very strong in such a small gun (a J-frame can surprise you even in .38).

Because of its concealability I will own a J-frame or the Taurus 85 or 850 (I had a great Taurus 82) and I think everyone should. However, I would start with the K-frame if you want to go with a .357mag. As I mentioned above the K-frame has some very real advantages over the J-frame and is still more concealable than a full sized auto. Ideally, one should own both, but if you can own only one buy the K-frame (more versatile).

OK, I'm changing the image link to a picture of a S&W 65LS since the picture keeps disappearing when I put it up as an image. Plus, I may be the only one who wants to see it anyway.

Last edited:
Back