Wheelchair bound, researching pistol and CCW carry options

Welcome to the Forum. When I went for my Carry License (in Tn.) our instructor stood in front of all 8 of us for 4 hrs. going over the regs. No one noticed that he had his weapon in an inside the belt holster, NO ONE. People will only see what they think they're looking at which is a person in a wheel chair.
No one will notice if you carry in a shoulder holster,fanny pak, or inside the pants holster. Just make sure you keep it on your self not your chair. I almost feel sorry for the jerk who messes with you, naw, not really. Good luck and
let us know what you decide.
Doc

Rawoolsey,

Long time ago a good friend of mine, who had been in a wheelchair since 8 or so (polio), was mugged three times in Dallas. Yes the dumped him out of his wheelchair.

It was before CHL so the best we could do was a sawed (legal length) 12 gauge. He carried thAt in his car within reach.

May I suggest a shoulder holster and a good Glock 45 with a NY-1 trigger.

Add to that a pocket holster and a S&W Centennial .38 airweight.

Glock 21s can be had cheap.

Deaf

I only see one post from a wheel chair user. The rest of you do not have a clue what we go though. I clawed myself out of a wheelchair so I know that chair users have more considerations on their mind. One can not carry IWB because most of us chair users get leg spasims that would make IWB or OWB very difficult when your legs and hips are shaking about. Fanny pack maybe but it would require a velcro patch on the back and a velcro belt so that the pack stays in place

The last time I was in my chair I had been riding one of my bikes and been broadsided by a pickup....I still have a manual chair for days when I need it. I used a shoulder holster and only those that knew me knew that I was carrying. I carried my S&W 624 in my shoulder rig under my left arm.

You do not want your gun in a box fastened to the chair for CCW. Hunting yes. When someone assaults you and you are dumped from your chair you need your gun on your chest so that you can roll and get access to it.

A vest is not a good idea as when you get dumped the vest will flop around.

Since you are comfortable with a 1911 style semi auto go with that and yes you want the largest caliber that you can relaibly shoot as you may only get one shot and you need to make as large a hole as possible.

You need to do lots of practice from sitting and from dumped positions so you will not panic and can condition yourself to roll to get to your gun.

Uhmmmm...Rawoolsey's been gone for over five years.
l
There's a lot of old questions that still deserve answers.
Especially if they weren't adequately dealt with when they were asked.
And who knows, maybe he's still listening.
Maybe, hopefully.

Wow. I really need to start paying more attention to the dates on the OP before I jump into the conversation. Why, exactly are we answering a 6-year-old question for a member who hasn't posted since, well, this 6-year-old question?

We helped a gentleman who was in a non-powered wheelchair. ....we took a large bank deposit bag (with lock) and attached it to the inside of the chair and then installed a holster in it that was also attached to the chair. Sorry, I forget the brand, Blackhawk, I think. We used Chicago screws to give it a factory appearance. He loved it.

Why, exactly are we answering a 6-year-old question
Just because the guy who posted the original question is long gone doesn't mean others might still be interested.
If it's a pertinent subject, no reason not to continue with it.
The age of the material doesn't matter.
The book I learned muzzle loading shooting from was over 100 years old at the time.

Back