Wheelchair bound, researching pistol and CCW carry options

rawoolsey

Inactive
I have recently had to begin using a power wheelchair. This has led me to think about my ability to defend myself.

The main problem is the carry system. Once I decide on the carry system, then the pistol size should be easier. I have to be able to access easily from the seated position, so IWB may not be the best option.

My experience was in the 1911 in the Army (I liked shooting it and did not do too bad accuracy wise) and we had the tanker's chest holster to carry the pistol. And let's face it - just seeing the size of the hole may drive an assailant away all by its self. If not, the round is big enough to make them think twice!

I have big hands and have no problem with upper body strength to limit the size. I am considering a revolver with fewer rounds in the grip is large enough to support a .45 ACP. However, I don't want to have my hand beaten with a smaller pistol because I plan on putting a decent amount of rounds downrange to get and maintain accuracy.

Initially, I thought about the Kimber Pro Carry I but I think it is too large for a carry system I can use. I can use the Kimber as a home defense weapon but I would like the CCW pistol have the same ammo as the medium size pistol.
Any suggestions?

First things first. Welcome!

Your carry method needs to solve problems similar to those faced by those who carry while driving. You don't have a center console or glove compartment as an option, do you? :D

You may find that a cross-draw holster, worn either inside or outside your waistband and concealed by your shirt, allows easier access that strong-side carry because the gun will not be wedged between your hip and the arm of the chair.

Or maybe you could rig up something on the chair itself? I don't much like the idea of CC in purses; they're easily snatched. But it should be possible to attach a holster to the wheelchair quite securely, and use one with a thumb break or something that would make it tough for a bad guy to take your gun from you.

Since you're in a power chair, and have good upper body strength, I can't see any reason you should get a small gun except maybe as a backup. If I were in your shoes, especially with the prior experience with an M1911, I'd just go with one of those. You really can't beat .45 ACP for self-protection, not for those who can handle it. I'm not sure I'd handle it as well as I do .357 or .38 +P (which is what I usually carry), but I'm female and a new gun owner. (Was around them as a child, but not very much as an adult, and I'm in my late 40s now.)

maybe a fanny pack worn offset in front between the hip and the belly, just above the thigh? Some might think it is for medicine or something else besides a gun.

my nephew has a nice one that a company makes for pistols of various sizes.

he got it from here for 20 bucks...

http://www.kgproducts.com/BELTBAGS.html

Or maybe you could rig up something on the chair itself?

My first thought as well. My idea would be to bolt something like a slim saddle bag on the outside of the chair on your strong side. By bolting it, you don't have to worry about getting it snatched. I would get something that had a top flap that covered the opening.

Inside of that you could mount a holster to hold it at a comfortable grab angle.

Heck, it might do double duty to hold your keys/wallet/stuff. If someone demanded your wallet, you would have to get "it" out of the saddle bag...

Downside would be if you were out of your chair for some reason.

Or maybe you could rig up something on the chair itself?

I'd advise against this, as one of the more common attacks against a person in a wheelchair is to simply dump them out of the chair and onto the ground at the beginning of the encounter. As with everyone else, if you can carry on your body that's probably the best choice.

Look at crossdraw holsters and shoulder holsters. Both are generally comfortable and easy to draw from while seated, and both keep the firearm on your body.

pax

A friend of mine is in a wheelchair and has had his CCW since they became available in MO.

He usually carries either a J frame in a pocket or belt holster or a Glock IWB.

Your wardrobe may be a limiting factor here; shoulder holsters would deploy quickly, but unless you plan to wear a vest or jacket, concealment is a problem. A belt holster (say, a IWB at 3 o' clock) would work well if you can wear an untucked shirt- in that case I might recommend a 4" 1911 (you like the platform and the shorter barrel would be better in a seated position).

First of all, Welcome to the forum.

I was thinking about rigging something to the chair too, but I guess Pax has a good point. Cross draw is probably the most comfotable and the fastest to draw from when seated. Strong side IWB is awkeard to draw from when seated and the motion is rather obvious.

I still think that a chair mounted system isn't that bad an idea. You could basically have a zippered gun bag attached to the seat on your strong side (on the sinside of the char for concealment of course). Since you are sitting, it will conceal the gun.

If you are confortable with 1911s, I would go with a commander sized 1911. The slightly smaller dimensions make for easier concealment while providing enough grip to get your hands around. There are many reputable companies that make great 1911s. The main thing is budget. Good luck and let us know which way you decide.

Wear a nice fashionable vest. It can be any style as long as it has an inside pocket. Here out west, many people where suede or some type of leather vest. In the colder months, you'll have a jacket. With an inside pocket, you can easily carry an Ruger 101 revolver or a small 380/9mm semi-auto. It's on you at all times. Those who know you and see you regularly will get use to the vest. If someone notices a "Different" dress style, simply say that the vest gives you more pockets to use because it's difficult to use the pockets in your pants. (Which is true). The vest will become 2nd nature to you within a week. Jackets can get warm, but the right vest can be worn indoors and out. In the winter, it can be worn inside with a coat over it for outside. I know many people in wheel chairs, scooters, and similar that wear vests for the extra pockets such as keys, cell phones, wallet, etc... Pant pockets become useless if sitting is the norm.

Possibly the "best" options are:

1. A cross-draw holster inside or outside of the waist band.
Something like one of the "driver's holsters" that have a more horizontal tilt and ride toward the front works well.
If you put your hands in your lap, which is normal for most chair users who aren't moving, you're perfectly positioned to lift your shirt or coat tail and draw the gun with the other.
The cross-draw is extremely fast for someone sitting in a chair, and if your hands are in your lap, no other draw is as fast since you basically have your hand right ON the gun.

2. Horizontal shoulder holster.
This is about as fast as the cross-draw, and conceals very well while getting in and out of a car. The down side is, a shoulder holster takes more time and effort to put on and may not be very comfortable, at least until you get used to it.
The donning and comfort issues may lead you to leave the gun at home when "Just running down to the store".
Any holster that takes any real effort or time to put on will sooner or later get left "just this once".
Guess which time you'll NEED it.

3. Fanny pack.
A great many handicapped people use a fanny pack (sit down in a chair and try to pull your wallet out of a front pants pocket WITHOUT lifting yourself up off the seat).
Since so many handicapped people do use a pack, it doesn't say "gun" like it does for some other people. In addition, a fanny pack often goes totally unnoticed when worn with a wheelchair.
People just don't "see" a pack in all that other nylon and metal.

The great advantage of a properly selected fanny pack is that it's a complete system: You carry the gun, spare reloads, your wallet, keys, checkbook, cell phone, etc in one package. This makes it much less likely that you'll leave the gun at home, since everything you need is in the one package and it's so easy to just grab the bag and go, where leaving the gun requires an effort to remove it.

When choosing a pack, look for one that allows carrying the gun in a more upright, cross-draw type position instead of lying horizontal, and look for a pack that has a drop-down front instead of the tunnel-type packs you have to shove a hand into.
Make sure the pack has an internal holster to insure the gun doesn't fall or "flip" out of when you rip it open.
Another thing to look for is an internal holster that will prevent the magazine catch from being depressed when you lean over or get in and out of a car.
You'd can be surprised to find at the end of a day that the catch was depressed and your magazine is loose. In guns with a magazine disconnect, this can be fatal.

NEVER attach a CCW gun to the chair.
As above, the first thing an attacker wants to do is dump you out. Also, when transferring to and from a car, the chair can be simply grabbed and pulled away from you.

Strong-side carry is out, due to the lack of room between your body and the chair. Unless you lean way over, you can't get a grip on the gun. In this case, a strong-side is slower than a cross-draw or pack carry.

Ankle carry "seems" like a good idea but isn't.
First, trying to pull up a pants leg while sitting inside the chair is slow and difficult, and can simply foul the draw completely.
Most chairs have frame tubes that fit too close to the legs to allow getting a pants leg up quick.
Second, when getting into and out of the chair or car, the gun tends to bump on the chair or car rocker panel with a "THUD". There's only one thing that makes a loud thud like that, and almost everyone will immediately know that you have something heavy strapped to your leg.

So, unless you're willing to spend the time to get used to a shoulder holster AND are dedicated to not have a weak moment and go off without the gun, the shoulder holster is a second choice.

First choice is split between a cross-draw or fanny pack, with the pack getting the nod due to the fact it's a total carry package for everything you need, and you're much less likely to leave the gun at home some time.

A S&W N frame revolver might be a consideration. The 8 shot .357 magnum 627 carries as many as the .45 acp. I like the .357 magnum more, as one has a greater mix of loadings to work with. A cross draw, or shoulder holster might just be the carry method. I find the 627 a really fine revolver to shoot.

Although I am ambulatory with a cane currently, some day I might need a wheel chair. If so, the S&W 627 will be my first approach at a carry handgun.

Personally, id scrap the CCW and bolt a gun rack to the chair :D

Sry, bad joke. couldnt resist

A shoulder holster would probably be the best for accessability, though a fanny pack would be much better concealement (more inncoent looking too).

i have a friend who is in a wheelchair and he carries his pistol in a "Tommys gun pack".. it is strapped around his waist in the cross draw position. He says its very comfortable and and nobody ever knows he's packing

I've been in a wheelchair for over 25 years and have used many options. Your circumstances will dictate which is best for you.
I currently use a shoulder rig for a 1911 ( 5" & 3"),and another for a 642. I also have a small pouch attached to the front of the chair just behind the legs where I can place a backup. I also can attach a large pack to the handles on the rear of the chair, but that really depends on if you are flexible enough to reach for it's contents easily...never keep your primary behind you! I used my rear pack to carry a Cobray M11/9 when going on the road, or shooting at a friend's in the boonies.

How you drive depends on if you should keep a gun on the chair or not. If you have to transfer...not a good idea. I have a van with a floor drop, and drive from the wheelchair and do keep a gun on the chair. If I'm dumped out, I still have my main carry in a Galco Jackass shoulder rig and can easily access it and the extra mags or speed strips if needed.

ALWAYS keep your primary on your person! If you're physically able, practice shooting with both hands. I was born a lefty when not many left hand guns were avaliable...or very expensive, and shoot equally as well with either hand now. It comes in real handy too. Shoot offhand a lot too when practicing, chances are you won't be in a position to use a 2 hand grip...or have the time. Hard to shoot and manuver a wheelchair at the same time.

Welcome to the forums and hope you enjoy a long stay. :cool:

I carry a G26 IWB @ about 11:30, using a Sidearmor holster with either a 15* or 20* cant. The cant is actually away from my strong hand, but that doesn't seem to be a problem. Much lighter and easier to manipulate than a 1911. Much easier to conceal.

Nope, by TGOG, I'm not in a wheelchair, but I do carry as described while driving and have no problem accessing my G26.

in my case...

i have seriously considered a chair mounter holster and mag holsters. i have one advantage, insofar as someone tipping my chair....at about 800lbs (heavy duty, and off road powerchair, to use on the farm. They are binna need a partner or 2, esp considering all the weight, aside from me is between 10" and 18" above the ground, so they would have major center of gravity issues. By the time they could accomplish this act, i'd likely be in firing position. This is not to say i am infallible, but i think i could get by with a chair mount in most instances.

As far as cross-draw, i just learned from our Police Chief that there is a local Gunshop that has high quality t-shirts that have a carry pocket in the armpit area...a light short sleeve with a couple of buttons open over it, and he said he doesn't even notice hes carrying anymore...doesn't have any "loosey goosey" aspects as some IWBs do, and its a purty quick draw. Think ima go by there this week and get a couple. Still love my holsters, but im gonna try this out for feel and action prior to mounting, or in addition to mounting my holsters to my powerchair.

All Be Well, and Safe,

—hamsterdam

maybe a fanny pack worn offset in front between the hip and the belly, just above the thigh? Some might think it is for medicine or something else besides a gun.

This is what my dad used to do. He sewed the muzzle end of a pocket holster to the bottom of the pack so it wouldn't try to come out with the gun when he drew. His preference was a j frame. Also, because it was in a good holster, he was able to keep all of his other stuff in the bag, as well - keys, medicine, etc. No one thinks twice about a fanny pack when you are in a wheel chair. Sadly, he doesn't have the hand strength to control a gun anymore, but it worked well for him for a good 15 years or so.

Back