What's your opnion of those .44 caliber Navy models?

ZVP

I have some VERY mixed feelings!
No they're not the "right" Caliber, but they are really neat! The power ofthe big ball , even at low velocites offers very good accuracy in the low charges afforded by Brass framed models,
The short barreled, steel framed Sherrif's models are pretty awsome! Takl about power in a small pacage! Priced considerably higher than the Brassers, they offer a uniqueexperience and a pretty GOOD gun to own!
Now what are your feelings aboutthis Fantasy gun come true??? Is it a good thing or aflash in the pan so to speak?
I think they'll survive.
ZVP

I know they will survive because they've already been around a long time but I think it's a pity. I wish they'd never been dreamed up.

Aw, come on Hawg. My favorite B/P shooter is my open-top .44 brasser with 5 inch barrel. Paid $119.99 with free shipping a few years back. And please don't tell me about brass frame longevity. When it does finally wear out I'll still have a pile of parts worth more than I paid for the entire gun. Plus I'm having a great time shooting it now. I'm no cowboy or lawman and don't pretend to be one. I just like shooting black powder guns.

Smokin'Joe, I don't like them from the historical perspective. If you're happy with it that's fine.

No opinion. I'm not historically accurate and my favorite is still the Ruger Old Army. I have one brass frame Colt and I won't chuck it out because it's 44.

I had a steel framed one that I wish I had never sold. The 1860 that replaced it looks nicer but I shot the 1851 .44 better because of it's heavier barrel.

.44 Navies and Brassers are an abomination

I'm with Hawg, .44 cal 1851 Navies and Brass framed .44s of any kind are an abomination.

Admittedly, I do own a pair of Pietta laser engraved, polished in the white, Marshal Model 1851s in .44. But they're mainly used as BBQ guns now days.

Last edited:
I like em because I can have both styles (Navy and Army) of pistols with only one set of molds/cleaning equipment. Which might be why they survive. :cool:

I love my Pietta Colt .44 navy, it's got the brass frame the confederates used because it was cheaper and doesn't rust. It's got the short 4 inch barrel that I think was the favorite of General Lee. A real man stopper with a 35 grain load of Hogdon 777 and a .454 round ball with crisco to prevent chain fire.

Sorry to differ with you Fingers as we usually are together on most things cap & ball. I absolutely LOVE my steel framed ASM '51 Navy 44s. They are my "serious match" guns for when I've been called out. I get the fast handling (and light weight) of the Navy with the whollop of the 44 Army for knockdowns. I've shot several two day annual and state matches CLEAN with them. I shoot just about everything else for the pure enjoyment (Armies, lots of Remingtons 36 & 44, Dance, brasser Colt 44s, etc.) but my 44 "Navies" are my go to guns.

I won't hold that against you Hellgate :D, we're still friends. If I shoot .44s, it's a pair of 1860 Sheriffs models. My go to guns are a pair of 2nd Gen .36 cal 1861 Navies. I also have a variety of C&Bs that I use - Navy Army Frontiersmen, Leech & Rigdons, 1851 Navies, 1861 Whitneys, and other 1861 Navies. All in REL and WBHs favorite .36.

I personally like the .44cal. 1851 Navy replicas, even if they aren't 'historically accurate'....... I have four of them! Two brassers, two steel. Great fun.
My first one from the '70s (Pietta) is brass-framed and smaller, trimmer and lighter manufacture, with different grip shape. Pietta seems to have altered the manufacture sometime later, as the three newer guns are beefier. The grips more flared at the bottom.
I was "young & stupid" when I got the first revolver and the K-mart employee who sold it to me knew no more than me. He sold me .457 flat based bullets! Had a devil of a time loading those things in, round nose first! Made a heck of a 'wad-cutter', on top of as much Pyrodex as I could stuff in the chambers. Big Boom! Six times! It could put that flat nosed 'ball' through both sides of the old truck bed I shot against. Sometimes the hammer would recock from the flash through the nipple! Yep, I was stupid....... :rolleyes:
Eventually the cylinder lock and it's spring both broke, and I couldn't get the proper parts. The parts I used required a LOT of reshaping just to get it to function about 50%. Locks up sometimes. So it is a wall queen now.
Surprised it never grenade on me! I guess Pietta builds them stout! :cool:
I have treated my newer C&B guns much better!

I know Christmas is past us . . but . . Bah! Humbug!

A "Navy" ought to be a "Navy" and an "Army" and "Army" . . .

But in fairness to all . . . to each their own. Not everyone likes Chevy or Ford . . . that's what makes us "unique". :D

If you're going to shoot it a lot, get steel.
Back in the 80s, I stretched a 36 cal navy frame in about a year, a lot.
Still sits on the mantle, hasn't been fired in decades now. With the end slop, it may not fire.

Opinons seem split between actual firing "fun" and Historical accuracy.
Truthfully I wish my Brasser was a .36 just cause I like the caliber but light loading at 18-20 gr charges allows the .44 revolver to shoot as soft as a .36 and the action in the Brass frame is buttery smooth.
Wanting to be "right" about my guns, I find the .44 Navy an abortion! But for what I paid ( and it DID start me in this wonderfull aspect of shooting!) I just accept the gun as my starter piece.
My next big task is filing the sights on my "correct '51" to Center POA and zeroing them for 15 yards with a 22 gr charge. This ought to make my "fun shooter" a real , offhand any range Can Buster! I have a Remington sighted POA @ 21ft, and I wish I'd set it for 15 yards too! For my eyes this works.
Thanks for all the answers guys!!!
Gosh, shooting Black Powder Cap and Ball Revolvers is FUN and relaxing!
ZVP

Back