What's your longest shot with iron sights

If you have never had any formal rifle training, I agree with the guy that said to go to a Project Appleseed event. I have been shooting since I was a young kid and I learned a lot there.
As for distance, with the 91/30 I would start at 100 yards and see what you and the rifle/ammo are capable of. Then go from there.

My longest shot with iron sights was an legitimate shot on a steel plate at 1000 yards. I don't know the size of the plate but I will guess it was 24x24. It was big enough that I could see it at 1000 yards with the naked eye.
I was at a rifle match where we shot military surplus rifles (supposed to be unmodified "rack grade" military rifles, not match rifles) from about 200 yards out to 800 yards at steel plates. There was a known distance portion of the match as well as a portion where you walked along a trail and they had firing points with targets at unknown ranges.

After the match was over, they had a fun match at 1000 yards for anyone that had brought a scoped rifle to shoot (they announced this ahead of time so you could bring your rifle). I didn't bring a scoped rifle but before they got started, I asked if I could try a couple shots before they got started. I was using a 1903 with the ladder sight from prone with a sling. I had a guy spotting for me. I fired a shot and he told me where it hit. I made a sight adjustment and hit the plate. I worked the bolt and hit it again. At that point, I went and had dinner and drinks.

Could I do it again ? I doubt it, but maybe, but definitely not with a 1903. I can no longer see through the sights and haven't been able to for more than 10 years. Maybe with something else though ? I would like to try it again and I probably will at some point. These days I am really into shooting steel plates at long range with a scoped rifle (from a bench) and I have thought several times about taking a rifle with iron sights and seeing what (if anything) I could do with it at long range.

Camp Curtis Guild,Wakefield, MA

Great memories of my time there in the 26th Infantry ( Yankee Division) while getting my commission as a 2nd Lt. through the Massachusetts Military Academy.First time I have seen name of camp anywhere on internet.That 1000 yd range was great experience for me with regular issue M-1.Big regret was not buying an M - 1 National Match for $150.00 through CMP. back in 1962.Served in the 2nd Corps Cadets artillery battalion in Salem, MA. Sadly the 26th Infantry Division was disbanded years ago. Thank you for the memories: Buckley

Go to one of the NRA's or CMP's High Power rifle clinics as well as Appleseed. Go to their sites for the how and where. Short range for both is 300 yards. And reading the wind and mirage(that's those heat waves you see on a summer day) is essential.
Don't even think about fixing a bayonet on a target range. Only thing that'd get you kicked off the range faster is not having your rifle pointed down range.

I haven't made that many shots past 75 yards or so. But three come to mind. I killed two deer at around 100 yards with a flintlock rifle. Also killed a buck at 90 yards with my Super BlackHawk. Longer shots were made with a scope.

Don't even think about fixing a bayonet on a target range. Only thing that'd get you kicked off the range faster is not having your rifle pointed down range.

I am so glad I don't have to deal with such Range Nazis where I shoot..... so long as you don't point the gun in an unsafe direction, what the hell do they care what you put on the end of it? Seriously. Think about it: If the bayonet is in danger of stabbing someone, the is already pointing at them.... already a safety violation and grounds for the ejection .... but if you fix the bayonet on the bench, and it remains pointing in a safe direction (downrange) why would that matter? Because it looks scary? That's taking a page from the hoplophobes ...... stop it.

....and before you get all "But why do you need to fix the bayonet....." 2 points:

1) POI shifts when you put the bayonet on, and historically, Mosins were sighted in with the m in place.... and they were only taken off when it became necessary during transport- they did not even issue scabbards for them, as their proper place was on the rifle.

2) Liberty. It's hurting no one. Were a club or for profit range to back such an ejection around here, I'd make it my business to spread the word that the place is run by closet Hoplophobes. It's their place and their rules, true enough, but they'd be playing by themselves in short order.

"But why do you need to fix the bayonet.....

I have bayonets for most of my surplus rifles. I like adding the bayonet just to see how the impact is effected then adding the info to my notes on the rifles.

Back