What's your least favorite firearm you own?

A 1912 Steyr Mauser sporter that came in some unknown oddball cartridge that I had rebarreled to .308 Win. Rifle had a beautiful slim European style stock, the type I like so much and was a really light weigh jewel to carry. Stupid gunsmith put a truck axle barrel on the thing and hogged out the stock to make it fit. If I do another barrel job the barrel will look like a soda straw in the grand Canyon. About the only other thing that might work is pull the barrel and do as deep a flute job as is safely possible. I'd hate to lose the stock as it's decent wood and that 28 to the inch checkering is absolutely gorgeous. I can't use it the way it in s it's as muzzle heavy as Quigley's Sharps rifle. What was once a 6.25 pound rifle now weighs 9 pounds. :mad:
Paul B.

I don't care for CF semi auto handguns but have three. Two are carry gun's and one a very old Savage mod 1917 in 32 short. Nice little gun but I never shoot it. Inherited it and will keep it but can't think of one use for it! I ever have a few rounds of ammo for it and a set of dies to load it with Find 32 short MTY's!

One that I disliked so badly that I never bought one...the 7mm Remington Magnum. After It came out, I noticed that the handloading manuals listed significantly higher SAMII pressure for it than the 30-06 (30-06 was held to lower pressure due to the old '06's still being used, where as only modern 7mm Rem. Magnums were in existence) as well as longer barrels than those used for the 30-06. It occured to me that inasmuch as it was standard handloading procedure to start low and work up to the point where high pressure signs were observed.

Despite the edged given to the 7mm Mag with higher pressures and longer barrels, the handbooks had loads for the 06 that approached those of the 7mm Mag anyway. It dawned on me that if a person got a modern 06 with a barrel as long as those found on the 7mm magnums, and handloaded the 06 until they began to see signs of high pressure instead of staying with the lower pressure loads that were safe for the older designed guns chamber in 06, they could in theory, safely load to the pressure levels that the 7 mag was loaded to. After all, given a modern gun like the Ruger M77 is safe at 7mm mag pressure levels if it chambered in 7mm mag or in 30-06.

In short, the 7mm mag's advantage only came from longer barrels and a higher SAMII pressure designation, something that also could be achieved with a longer barrel and loading the 06 to a more reasonable pressure maximum that would be safe for a modern rifle...and not get the recoil, muzzle blast, and excessive powder that has to be burned in a 7mm magnum to get that dubious "advantage". So, no thanks...I have not owned a 7mm Mag and never will.

reteach- That might be a technique issue.

My least favorite is my Ruger LCP. Everything about it is horrible.

Ruger Mark III 22/45 LITE ... the older version that is a royal pain in the butt to break down. That said, because it's a fixed barrel it tends to be more accurate than my wheel gun 22's. Cleaning my guns after shooting is almost as much "fun" for me as actually shooting them, and breaking this one down to clean it, and then getting it back together easily, is just not "fun"!

Mosin Nagant M91/30.

The stock is saturated through and through with grease, and you almost need a mallet to work the bolt. Tried all the tricks, nothing.

I got it really cheap back in the day, so I'm not so concerned about having money tied up in it. I figure it will make a cool wall hanger someday.

One of my brothers and I jointly bought a Monkey Wards double barrel 12 gauge about 1970. Neither of us knew squat about shotguns. No recoil pad, just a plastic butt plate. Looong barrels, weighs a ton. Went dove hunting with it one year, shot up a bunch of ammo, and had a bruised shoulder. My brother took the gun with him when he moved to another state around 1980. Well, he passed away a few years back, and his son asked if I wanted that shotgun, even though one chamber won't fire. I said yes, so that ugly thing resides in my safe. Just sentimental value to me.

I sell all the guns I don't like.

But there's one I haven't gotten a chance to sell yet: Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Target. Songs could be written about how bad the trigger is. And about how picky it is with ammo. And about how often I get FTF malfunctions.

Just no.

You sound just like me! Only mine's the Hunter. :(

Hats off to Veprdude for starting this thread...it has been the most entertaining one that I've read in quite some time! :D

Last edited:
Ah... Easy way out: A 1916 Spanish Mauser with something massively wrong with the locking lugs in the receiver. I attempted to remove the barrel to investigate (and save the barrel if the receiver was junk). No luck.

I had a gunsmith try to pull the barrel. No luck.

I had another gunsmith use his over-kill hydraulic barrel vise to try to pull the barrel. No luck.

I said, 'screw it, get the torch', and we hit that stubborn SOB with heat, a pipe wrench, and cheater bars on both the pipe wrench and action wrench. No luck.

I think a relieve cut on the barrel shoulder will do it. Some rifles are notoriously tight. That's the method to deal with them if you don't have to keep the old barrel.

As for me I like all the guns I have handled, mine or the customers'. I know given time and money they all can be fixed. One exception though. A brand new Jimenez pistol in .38acp. It is intrinsically inferior and unsafe by design. There is no way I can make it good enough. A customer inherited it from his late father, who was known to be frugal. I told her not even to load it.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Back